Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Private Stuff

Downloads
    Uploads
    I only recently discovered this particular site for Birthright, so I too, have not posted very regularly.

I am 28, and having finished university, am now in a completely different field than what I studied for. My RL name is Dave. I live in BC, Canada, with my wife, also an avid gamer (who has recently begun playing BR with me; recently being 2 years ago now)

I, too, have gamed since I was 7. Picked up Birthright from the moment that I saw it. Fell in love with it over any other campaign world that I saw... and that was a lot.

As a gamer, I tried out my hand at being a retailer. Loved that, but moved on. It DID allow me to create a gaming collection that my wife is still amazed by... and frustrated by our inability to store anywhere.

Sadly, my BR campaigns never got past 4th or 5th level, due to the misfortune of always finding players that would move. However, my claim to fame is this:
    Through my gaming store, and local gaming club, I ran a LIVE campaign of Birthright, which lasted 6 months, including the entire continent, and running for about 30 turns. In many cases, it was almost a LARP. There was over 40 players, 2 assistant GMs, and myself GM. We actually played in a bingo hall. Almost all players were playing landed regents, with by the book (2e) stats ONLY for "recommended PC nations". Wars were fought on a regular basis... and the best one involved the so-called "Albiele Escalation"

Basically, Guilder Kalien sponsored a colonization of Albiele Island... and posted a single unit of marines there. All he planned on was to expand into naval trading routes... the player actually had no sinister uber-objective than this. This single event, coupled with secret alliances that would have shamed Europe in the 1914s, created a chain of events that lead to around 80-85% of ALL nations (with MANY wizards, guilds and temples joining the fray) on the continent of Cerilia going to war... on the same turn. The war lasted 4 turns, with almost NO change of territory occuring in the end. It started in Anuire, and swept to the reaches of Vosgard and Brechtur... with only the Rjurik and Dwarven nations MOSTLY staying out of it.

It was the first (and only&#33 Cerilian World War that we ever saw. The final loss of life: over 1000 units of troops dead (I kid you not! and this does not include the units that were damaged) and provinces sacked that would kill/displace over 100,000 people. Trade was stopped entirely in some areas, especially the Brecht Basin, due to trade routes being destroyed/lack of navies to keep trade routes going. Odd that the military deaths outweighed the civilian, but chock it up to most people still choosing back then to conquer rather than sack (most of the sacking occured in Khinasi territories, and some was by goblins/awnshegh/elf NPCs).

I still have one of the laminated maps that has some troop movement marks on it. Mostly, I had used an erasable felt pen to mark changes on the maps, but accidentally grabbed a permanent marker one time, for one of the turns. Ah, the memories... having the maps up on the bulletin board of my store, players looking at the most recent territorial gain, and seeing the newsletter of recent decrees over the continent.

Still think that my favourite character I ever played in a BR campaign would happen to be Alliene Tilgentor, oddly enough. First female character I truly enjoyed playing, and this was in a much more recent campaign that only just ended. In the end, she became Alliene Aglondier, Rogr passing away...

I hope to participate more fully in this site, now that I have the time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where to begin?

I lurk mostly, reading from the email list. Only in the past few months have I come to the opinion that 3.xE might not be so bad. :lol: Anyways..
    I'm thirty, so I'm sitting atop the hill, knowing it's all down from here. I got started on basic D&D (Red & Blue boxes) back sometime around '85, converted to 1E, then 2E in college. When I couldn't think of a character name, I eventually settled on "Lysander" as a default, unless I thought of something else. And, usually a ranger, unless I something else called to me. Odd, because I've read a few plays by The Bard, but none with "Lysander" as a character :lol:
    Apparently, I somehow managed to game once in BR in college then, but "lost" my gaming materials when I moved overseas (I didn't own any BR materials, but the basic box seemed familiar when I got it years later). Picked up gaming again in '02. and adopted BR as my "world of choice" in the now-defunct gaming group (one was a GH DM, another a FR DM, etc. I got BR - Lucky me. B) ) But back to the "mundane" stuff - I live just outside of Washington, DC, and run my own law practice. I guess that qualifies me for a Law Holding, no?

"Lysander"
    Dave
    Lysander
    Defender of the Second Edition
    Junior Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey I haven't been in a while,(I find myself saying that alot lately) :huh:
    but its nice to see the community introducing to eachother.

My real name is Louis Mathias, and I got interested playing Dungeons and Dragon about seven years ago and have never put the dice down since. I live out my days In Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, learing how to create some decent plot lines for upcoming games and such. I learned about Birthright when one of my friends bot the boxset and we did an all nighter. It was blast. We didn't know how the play the technical aspects but the rpging was still fun. I've found this site about three years ago but only joined last year.

I more in to role playing without the hack and slash these days and I'm right now trying to get a Taline PBEM off the ground. I'm also learing Buisness Adminstation and plan to work in municiple or military defence distribution.

Well that a little bit of me.

If anyone wants to talk, or knows where I can get the Birthright boxsets for a good price, let me know at louism_knights@hotmail.com

Peace.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by epicsoul@Sep 10 2004, 02:50 AM
    I still have one of the laminated maps that has some troop movement marks on it. Mostly, I had used an erasable felt pen to mark changes on the maps, but accidentally grabbed a permanent marker one time, for one of the turns.
    Hey Dave -- If you want to erase that permanent marker, rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) works wonders. If you want, I pop by and show you.

Athos / Mike / Diemed in the current campaign
    "It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion -- and usually easier."

- R. A. Heinlien, from The Collected works of Lazarus Long

Downloads
    Uploads
    Derek has the map right now, Mike. He's using it for "notes". I got 4 sets and laminated three of them. THe other 2 are fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello my dear friends from Br net I'm Marco Guelfi Junior, A DM from Brazil (Eai galera, entrem em contato comigo!!!). Actually my group was playing a Rjurik/Anuire/Dwarf Campaign in a old scenario (The King of the Giant Downs).
    I play RPG for a 4-5 years and my last Br Char was a Dwarf Paladin from Moradim
    (Yeah! Barûk-Azhik rules!!!)

Downloads
    Uploads
    well, Im the newbie, let me introduce my self.

In real life, I am 31 year old male living in Atlanta, Georgia. I found this site after digging up my old books for a move to my grandmothers that will happen shortly. While I never played a regent campaign in BR, I have played a number of regular campaigns in it. I love the detail and fullness of the campiagn. I also like the number of changes to the normal fantasy world.

My favorie character from BR I have is Allicia Silverhand. A female Anuirean pladin of Nesirie. It was funny that my DM kept our bloodline strength secret from us. We had an alternating DM when I played her, so she ended up Forgotten Realms. I never heard of the Chosen of Mystra from there until Allicia took the trip, invoulentarily.

Needless to say, the DM had her met on of them. ECK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I haven't posted on this board either. But I am 99.99% certain that I can claim the title of oldest fogey on the site. My name is Duane Eggert and I'm 46 years old. I'm a Chemical Engineer who graduated from the University of Michigan in 1982 ("Before many of you were born" came the voice from the clouds). I've worked at the 2nd largest naval shipard in the world (it was the largest until around 10 years ago) - Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, Virginia for going on 23 years now. I've been an instructor, an auditor, a technical procedure writer a supervisor (for almost 2 whole years before I ran into severe problems with my supervisor) and just about anything else they've asked me to do - both nuclear and non-nuclear.

I've been playing D&D and other RPG since I was 17. While I didn't play in the OD&D I did play my first character in early 1st ed AD&D. My 2nd character (my first was an 8 Int magic-user - no need to go into any details on that issue) was Boom-Boom Broomski an 18 (09) Str, 17 Dex, 4 Int Fighter. He was extremely fun. He broke a thief's hand once and when the bartender (actually the DM who broke character) asked "Why?" the reply came "What is in the pocket is mine, what is outside the pocket is his. Bring me some more milk."

I've been playing Birthright since it first came out (I can't remember the specific time period - "Memory is the 2nd thing to go, I forgot what the first was."). My DM was (and still is although in a 3.5 home brewed game) one of the worst I've played with. We used to spend entire nights rolling up income results for all of the NPC domains - throughout Cerillia because he didn't do any prep work and liked to "wing it".

The next BR DM we had was (and still is) one of the best I've played with. He doesn't play D&D anymore but runs a d20 Star Wars game that I'm particulary found of.

I took up the mantle after that and ran a 3.0 game using my home-rules. Looking back those rules really sucked. That was how I got involved with the BRCS project. The original BRCS team needed some more people to help with the project and they invited me. I've been been part ever since.

I have done some lay-by-post gaming. It was an Alternity - Star*Drive game. Check out the Verge of Extinction at Tequillastarrise.net. I played Evan Dunleavy the Diplomat-Mindwalker and default team leader. Tremendous game, took over a year when it was only planned to take 3-6 months. Neil Spicer is a great writer and worked it so that the game came out as a story that can be read. Although you should plan on some substantial time to set aside to read it, it is long butworth the read.

I currently play in a home brewed 3.5 game (see reference to DM above) with my 14 year old son (who can really play a wizard), a d20 Deadlands game, an Alternity-Star*Drive game, an Alternity-Gamma World game, a d20 Star Wars game but no BR game. A friend was going to run a play test game for me so that I could "participate and evaluate" but that fell through and I don't have the time to run one myself - at least not until the BRCS is done.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I' m 32 years old, I' m a journalist from Europe, Poland, Warsaw.
    I play AD&D, D&D 12 years, mostly Birthright.
    Recently I've joined the staff of d20 publisher The Forge.
    We are working on "Strongholds" series - a descriptions of typical castles of d20-medieval lords from four steps of feudal pyramid. It's a rpg and strategy fully compatibile with Birthright rules.
    Part 1 is ready, it will appear Jan-Feb 2005.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm from Denmark and is very very close to soon round the first quarter of a century (25). I'm a student of information science and I have still to find someone willing to accept my geekiness.

Been playing RP since I was around 6, although the more serious RP (organized stuff), didn't happen until maybe 10 years ago.

I've been hooked on Birthright from '97, where I played it quite much, but around '99 I moved away from AD&D and into other venues. I didn't put much thought into Birthright when I got back to fantasy with D&D, instead looking over the stuff that was already published for D20. But then not long ago I found br.net.

Thread Information