Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monks

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 10:12 AM 2/7/2008, ThatSeanGuy wrote:

>I`m sorry, please don`t get me wrong. It just seemd like a topic to,
    >y`know, talk about. I thought that I was giving a rational argument,
    >but if it came off as hystronic, I apologize.

You weren`t. If I came off as harsh then it`s I who should apologize.

The problem is that for the BR veterans, this is one of those topics
    that just won`t die. Periodically someone says, "Hey, why are a
    standard D&D monks excluded from BR, can`t they fit into culture X"
    and we`re off to the races. Next is gnomes or elves should be druids....

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a link to an old thread talking about monks in the the BRCS.

Maybe it will shed some light on the subject (based on past discussions - particularly with the BRCS)

http://www.birthright.net/forums/sho...highlight=monk
    Duane Eggert

Okay. I noticed after posting that this topic seems to come up every few months, which explains the reaction. Fair enough, I suppose.

“The problem is that for the BR veterans…”
    (The following is meant in a friendly, not sarky tone!
    That assumes that all BR veterans are fans of this website. I saw this website for the first time last year, but I was a fan of the BR setting when it was first released. It was the “Seeking Bloodsilveradventure (Dungeon #60 or so) that got me back into AD&D in the mid-90s.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 02:48 PM 2/8/2008, ericthecleric wrote:

>“The problem is that for the BR veterans…”
    >
    >That assumes that all BR veterans are fans of
    >this website. I saw this website for the first
    >time last year, but I was a fan of the BR
    >setting when it was first released. It was the
    >“Seeking Bloodsilveradventure (Dungeon #60 or
    >so) that got me back into AD&D in the mid-90s.

Fair enough. Please excuse my overgeneralizing
    the on-line BR community`s veterans to all BR veterans.

I had the same experience, BTW. I`d stopped
    gaming for years before I read that adventure and was instantly hooked.

Gary

That's OK, Geeman. We're good. :-)

Seeking Bloodsilver was a great adventure. One time I ran it with a new group of players, the PCs encountered one of the intelligent undead (Maeve the Zombire) in room 8. They enter the room, and the PC cleric said: "Hello."
    This really surprised me, but as I like to reward good roleplaying, I figured that it'd been a while since Maeve had had a good conversation. So the two have a chat, and I gave them general hints about what's what in the fortress. Highly memorable; that was a good group to DM for.

Sharks in the zen pool

Monks are great, as they are one of the best worked out classes. Rogue is next. The Birthright noble is highly more atmospheric than the Rokugan one, too.

Sad nobody ever got a better ranger and bard done. They both"mean" the right additio to a party, but lack enough, to make them first choice ever.

Until one plays wilderness with barbarian, ranger and druid restriction or a city adventure with talk, seduction and lots of art (NOT just music). I never did.

Seeking bloodsilver? In Germany even ten years ago the Birthright products were RARE in the fantasy-shops. I got the PC game, one more later via amazon-online order but the books? I never found one, like I wanted to read "The Hags contract" before publishing some stuff. Futile anyway and now I am out of money.

I take a bet that this pops up as reply were it doesn't belong, but I clicked "monk" and there it would be my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think If some one wanted to play a monk bad enough they should be allowed to but.
    They should understand that they would one of the first if not the first and they would most likely be handicapped in how they level up as there are no monk orders. Basically the player and Dm would have to come to an agreement at what challenges and penalties there would be for playing a monk in Birthright, but should the player except these challenges and succeed they could establish a monk order and make for an exciting game as they radically redefine birthright concepts and face many rivals that are bent on exterminating the budding order in the process.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well in my campaign I made remenants of Masetia oriental, so I allowed Monks, Samurai, Shugenja, Shinobi, etc there...

Since Masetians are almost extinct and those that remain are under strict control of the Serpent, it did great to save BR classic feel in general...
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always thought a pc trying to play a monk in a khinasi setting would make a great campaign. They could be hunted by the various temples for heresy. Their various abilities could be seen as sorcery performed by someone who hasn't sworn the 5 oaths. Hunted by nobles who think they are trying to teach peasants that they have blood powers to, and therefore should rule themselves. One could also use the monk as the paladin template for Avani. Hell, it's a game, have fun.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Thread Information