The Masetians - what were they like?

We know they followed the goddess Masela and one supposes Nesirie with whatever remained of them among the Khinasi.

But do we know anything of their cultural standing or imprint? More to the way of their names? Were they some sort of "vaguely latin" people and thats why a few latin/hispanic style names appear in the Khinasi namelists?

The Serpent and his followers send me to the side with that theory with all his egypto-styling in art. But it may be that its trying to convey his ancient lineage from 2000 years ago and how he is a timeless monster. Preserving ancient stylings because he doesn't want to know new things.

Anyway, I could not find a thread about this topic so I thought I would raise it to see what you fellows have also pondered!

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Pope View Post
    We know they followed the goddess Masela and one supposes Nesirie with whatever remained of them among the Khinasi.

But do we know anything of their cultural standing or imprint? More to the way of their names? Were they some sort of "vaguely latin" people and thats why a few latin/hispanic style names appear in the Khinasi namelists?
    The Khinasi are based on Moorish Iberia, so they may have some Spanish / Portuguese influence there.

The Serpent and his followers send me to the side with that theory with all his egypto-styling in art. But it may be that its trying to convey his ancient lineage from 2000 years ago and how he is a timeless monster. Preserving ancient stylings because he doesn't want to know new things.

Anyway, I could not find a thread about this topic so I thought I would raise it to see what you fellows have also pondered!
    I can't recall the source, but i remember somewhere that indicated the Masetians had a culture analagous to the Greeks. Though i've also seen another source suggesting that ancient Persia was their basis.

So i don't think there is anything 'official'. Perhaps it's been deliberately left vague.

-Fizz

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tend to think of them like the Phoenicians - mighty at sea but not as great on land.

Sorontar
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Pope View Post
    No, not really. All of the human cultures in the BR setting seem to be a mish-mash of various ancient real-world cultures.

I tend to view them as a "Mediterranean" culture. That is to say, a mash-up of Greek, Roman, and other cultures of that area in the ancient real world. This is opposed to Middle Eastern cultures, which is what the Basarji are supposed to represent; the Khinasi are an Indo-/Moorish/Iberian culture, due to their Basarji roots and their absorption of the Masetian people in Cerilia (and presumably elsewhere).

As an aside:

Anuireans are a Romano-Greco-/Celtic/Welsh/English mash-up (due to their early interactions with the Masetians in Aduria before Deismaar, if the unofficial Aduria material is taken at face value); the Andu I consider to be various Romano-Celtic tribes, combined with their early Brecht peasant slave population, which explains their "English-ness"; their "Welsh-ness" also comes in part from their early assimilation into elven culture.

The modern Rjurik are a mash-up of Scandinavian/Celtic cultures (the latter due to their early assimilation with the Anuireans - ironically, they are probably closer to the older Andu cultural values than the Anuireans are now).

The Brecht are a mash-up of Germanic-Scandinavian cultures (again, due to their interactions with the Rjuven tribes in Aduria, if the unofficial Aduria material is taken into account).

The Vos are a mash-up of Eastern European/Slavic/Central Asiatic cultures (again, due to their interactions with the other tribes in Aduria before Deismaar, especially the Masetians and the Neha - if the unofficial Aduria material is taken into account).

Elves are based on the mythic Celtic cultures of the real world, with a heavy emphasis on the Welsh Cymri side of that.

Dwarves are based on Gaelic culture (due to being heavily influenced in their first interactions with the elves).

Halflings I consider to be a mash-up of Eastern European/"Gypsy" cultures, due to their early involvement with the Brecht (I consider the halflings to have first arrived in Cerilia around the land now considered to be the Burrows, and they spread out from there).

Goblins are based on the traditional fantasy versions of their race - however, I tend to model the more civilized of their race on various Celtic cultures, due to their long enslavement by the elves. I also lump Orogs into this category.
    Last edited by masterdaorin; 12-27-2023 at 11:26 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went full "ancient Greece" with the Masetians in my campaign.

The party recently discovered an hidden city of Masetians (Dorotheas, "gift of the goddess") on the Isle of Ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Delazar View Post
    I went full "ancient Greece" with the Masetians in my campaign.

The party recently discovered an hidden city of Masetians (Dorotheas, "gift of the goddess") on the Isle of Ghosts.
    Good choice.

I stress, IMC, "Greece" as the original (i.e. "old") Masetian culture - their Mediterrean influences came from their interactions with the other Aduria cultures (namely, the Andu) and when they reached the Djapar shores and interacted with the Basarji.

Thread Information