Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Brecht vs Spain

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    159
    Downloads
    21
    Uploads
    0
    I`ve always been wondering why Brechtur is compared to Renaissance Spain
    in the d20 BR releases. Spain was a centralized, world-spanning empire
    that relied on colonization and exploitation of native populations for
    its wealth. If the only basis for the comparison is its reliance naval
    trade, then Brechtur could be compared to a lot of other cultures as
    well. IMO a far more apt comparison could be made to the trading cities
    of northern Germany, especially the Hanseatic League - reliance on
    trade, naval presence, and semi-republican governments all seem to be a
    good example of what Brechtur is.

    --

    Solmyr of the Azure Star
    solmyr@kolumbus.fi
    World of Enothril website - http://enothril.topcities.com/
    The Archmage`s Tower - http://www.geocities.com/solmyr.geo/
    "War does not determine who is right. War determines who is left."

    ************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    883
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Solmyr wrote:

    >I`ve always been wondering why Brechtur is compared to Renaissance Spain
    >in the d20 BR releases. Spain was a centralized, world-spanning empire
    >that relied on colonization and exploitation of native populations for
    >its wealth. If the only basis for the comparison is its reliance naval
    >trade, then Brechtur could be compared to a lot of other cultures as
    >well. IMO a far more apt comparison could be made to the trading cities
    >of northern Germany, especially the Hanseatic League - reliance on
    >trade, naval presence, and semi-republican governments all seem to be a
    >good example of what Brechtur is.
    >
    Brechtür ;-)
    The more comparisons, the wider the range what the DM and the players
    can imagine their own campaign to be.
    Brechtür: Ancient Spain, the Hanseatic League, the Dutch Westindian
    company - I would even erase Spain, as it does not fit in the sense that
    the otheres are more naval powers than anything else. Spain had also a
    landbased empire.
    bye
    Michael Romes

    ************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    159
    Downloads
    21
    Uploads
    0
    Michael Romes wrote:
    >
    > Brechtür ;-)

    Yeah, yeah :)

    > The more comparisons, the wider the range what the DM and the players
    > can imagine their own campaign to be.
    > Brechtür: Ancient Spain, the Hanseatic League, the Dutch Westindian
    > company - I would even erase Spain, as it does not fit in the sense that
    > the otheres are more naval powers than anything else. Spain had also a
    > landbased empire.

    I include the Dutch in the northern German mercantile culture (*ducks
    stones thrown by any resident Dutch*). And certainly, they are a more
    apt comparison than Spain (ancient or Renaissance). For one,
    Rensaissance Spain had little commercial spirit of its own, it relied on
    foreign merchants (Genoese, Dutch, Flemish) to conduct its trade. That`s
    why the Low Countries were important to it. I`m not sure where the
    ancient Spain comparison comes from, either.

    --

    Solmyr of the Azure Star
    solmyr@kolumbus.fi
    World of Enothril website - http://enothril.topcities.com/
    The Archmage`s Tower - http://www.geocities.com/solmyr.geo/
    "War does not determine who is right. War determines who is left."

    ************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    883
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Solmyr wrote:

    >Michael Romes wrote:
    >
    >>Brechtür ;-)
    >>
    >Yeah, yeah :)
    >
    >>The more comparisons, the wider the range what the DM and the players
    >>can imagine their own campaign to be.
    >>Brechtür: Ancient Spain, the Hanseatic League, the Dutch Westindian
    >>company - I would even erase Spain, as it does not fit in the sense that
    >>the otheres are more naval powers than anything else. Spain had also a
    >>landbased empire.
    >>
    >I include the Dutch in the northern German mercantile culture (*ducks
    >stones thrown by any resident Dutch*).
    >
    Mmmmh, why do you expect only the Dutch to throw stone? ;-)
    bye
    Michael Romes

    ************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    883
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Solmyr wrote:

    >Michael Romes wrote:
    >
    >>Brechtür ;-)
    >>
    >Yeah, yeah :)
    >
    >>The more comparisons, the wider the range what the DM and the players
    >>can imagine their own campaign to be.
    >>Brechtür: Ancient Spain, the Hanseatic League, the Dutch Westindian
    >>company - I would even erase Spain, as it does not fit in the sense that
    >>the otheres are more naval powers than anything else. Spain had also a
    >>landbased empire.
    >>
    >I include the Dutch in the northern German mercantile culture (*ducks
    >stones thrown by any resident Dutch*).
    >
    Mmmmh, why do you expect only the Dutch to throw stone? ;-)
    bye
    Michael Romes

    ************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Germany near Frankfurt
    Posts
    295
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Brechtür was planned as a German setting. This could e.g. be derived by taking a look at the german names and german symbols. In the foreword, Brecht was termed as "german guys".

    The designers already said that Brecht was meant as some kind of german culture. However, some things are wrong, actually Brecht is not far away from spain.....
    my purpose is now to lead you into the Pallace where you shall have a clear and delightful view of all those various objects, and scattered excellencies, that lye up and down upon the face of creation, which are only seen by those that go down into the Seas, and by no other....

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    159
    Downloads
    21
    Uploads
    0
    Azrai wrote:
    >
    > Brechtür was planned as a German setting. This could e.g. be derived by taking a look at the german names and german symbols. In the foreword, Brecht was termed as "german guys".
    >
    > The designers already said that Brecht was meant as some kind of german culture. However, some things are wrong, actually Brecht is not far away from spain.....
    >
    How is it anything like Spain?

    --

    Solmyr of the Azure Star
    solmyr@kolumbus.fi
    World of Enothril website - http://enothril.topcities.com/
    The Archmage`s Tower - http://www.geocities.com/solmyr.geo/
    "War does not determine who is right. War determines who is left."

    ************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

  8. #8
    Administrator Green Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,012
    Downloads
    20
    Uploads
    0
    Solmyr of the Azure Star wrote:

    >How is it anything like Spain?

    Well, there is the fencing part, which is very Spanish.

    I guess you could also draw a parallel to the "reconquista" as well; the
    Brechts have lost many of their realms to Vos, awnsheghlien and such -
    much could be made out of them reclaiming these areas.

    Then there is the Spaniards being great seafarers and explorers

    Otherwise, it`s more Hanseatic League/Dutch than Spanish (just remember
    that the Dutch had very close ties with Spain for a long period of
    time).

    Just a few thoughts...

    Cheers
    Bjørn

    ************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

  9. #9
    Birthright Developer
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    388
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, [iso-8859-1] Bjørn Eian Sørgjerd wrote:
    > Otherwise, it`s more Hanseatic League/Dutch than Spanish (just remember
    > that the Dutch had very close ties with Spain for a long period of
    > time).

    So did the Germans (aka Holy Roman Empire), during about the same times,
    and for the same reasons. It`s hard to divide them up sometimes.
    Listing the Brechts as parallel to the Spanish is ok, as long as we
    specify which period Spanish; roughly Ferdinand and Isablella, Charles V,
    and Phillip II (the early Spanish Hapsburgs) is the appropriate time
    period.
    --
    Communication is possible only between equals.
    Daniel McSorley- mcsorley@cis.ohio-state.edu

    ************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    152
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    > I`ve always been wondering why Brechtur is compared to
    > Renaissance Spain in the d20 BR releases. Spain was a
    > centralized, world-spanning empire that relied on
    > colonization and exploitation of native populations for its
    > wealth. If the only basis for the comparison is its reliance
    > naval trade, then Brechtur could be compared to a lot of
    > other cultures as well. IMO a far more apt comparison could
    > be made to the trading cities of northern Germany, especially
    > the Hanseatic League - reliance on trade, naval presence, and
    > semi-republican governments all seem to be a good example of
    > what Brechtur is.
    >

    You can`t compare Brechtur with one centralized realm because Brechtur
    is made of many totally independant realms. Anuire is much more like
    Spain. I agree that Brechtur can be compared to Henseistic League: they
    have similar language and rely on trade.

    ************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
BIRTHRIGHT, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, D&D, the BIRTHRIGHT logo, and the D&D logo are trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and are used by permission. ©2002-2010 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.