Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    While a quick think makes this seem plausable, the point is extremely valid about skills being totally different.

2nd ed and non-weapon proficiencies (basically it was pretty much near impossible to increase the "checks" to make any difference).

3.5 uses skills (as pointed out in the BRCS)

4th ed uses a lot fewer skills and "ranks" are mostly "automatically gained" - something similar to the Star Wars system. This causes a lot of issues.

If you want a totally independent system that is not based on any skills - try Fields of Blood by Eden press. It is all "money" based and will pretty much work regardless of the edition.

2nd ed and 4th ed work best, IMO if they are "class" based. 3.5 was specifically designed to work with skill becasue it was so easy to multiclass and almost every player tried to do it at one time or another, whereas in 2nd ed it was only common for non-humans (elves, dwarves, etc.)
    So we take out skills - no option B then. Though really, as long as everyone has the same opportunity to pick one of the paths? Or the skills all cost the same, then they will have the same relative power when matched against the translation table. The real fear would be in one particular edition a certain class could purchase skills for cheaper than another class & create an imbalance (though whoever writes the translation table should be versed enough to make exceptions for this fact).
    Last edited by Mirviriam; 06-06-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    Legacy of Kings: Member

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lmnoq View Post
    I do not play 4th edition but I am wondering if you are wanting to have domain level play while adventuring or are you trying to invent a new way to do domain play for 4th edition?

I assume 4th edition has stats like INT and CHA, but then again I might be wrong. If 4th edition has stats and levels (again I might be wrong) then why do you not just take 2nd edition rules for non-weapon proficiencies and add them to your domain level play and not adventure play. I always liked giving more non-weapon proficiencies out for high INT. The players would be allowed to choose which 2nd edition class to follow for determining which proficiencies they could pick (I believe 4th edition has more classes than the standard four: fighter, cleric, wizard, rouge).
    4e DnD has stats and levels yes. About classes, it has the four classic roles (fighter/defender, cleric/leader, wizard/controller and rogue/striker) and then creates classes around them. For example the "martial" defender is the Fighter, while the "divine" defender is the Paladin, they both fulfill the same combat role but in different ways.

4e has also skills, although they are simplified from 3e (you just choose which ones you know better, end of the story except if you use feats).

Quote Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
    4e DnD has stats and levels yes. About classes, it has the four classic roles (fighter/defender, cleric/leader, wizard/controller and rogue/striker) and then creates classes around them. For example the "martial" defender is the Fighter, while the "divine" defender is the Paladin, they both fulfill the same combat role but in different ways.

4e has also skills, although they are simplified from 3e (you just choose which ones you know better, end of the story except if you use feats).
    I can see how such a system could cause problems (did Wizards just rehash 2e with tabletop wargaming concepts or what...)

Thread Information