Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Creating a birthright web play

I am creating a birthright web play (using php and mysql) but it would be better if i use flash xml (i don't know that language, anybody wants to help ??

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I'm game... but same as you: I'm more familiar with php/mysql.
    I had done something basic with flash but it ended up being a huge slow file. I'm sure it's possible, but it's not something I've been exposed to enough.

Instead I went the Ajax/javascript way.
    There are some javascript libraries that can help simulate "flash-like" actions.
    - jquery
    - Yahoo's YUI

This can help with things like moving pieces on a jpg map, and using events to start actions.

The down side is that it's doesn't always react in exactly the same way with every browser. My first task on www.rjurikwinds.com was to create a movable map, and that "kinda" works but on the web if things aren't perfect they are bound to be left by the way-side...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up my map

This is what my map looks like right now, it is not dynamic yet, i am trying to find and easy way to filled the map with dynamic data with xml (create the xml file with php and mysql) The feel i am looking for is about the same as gorgon alliance map and object.

So if you know somebody or you know some website with good tutorial, that would be easy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    i actually made a map a-la gorgons alliance in the latest flash version, which also has the z axis to make maps etc look 3d...
    everything is working fine, but the difficult part i dont get right are the coordinates.. somehow flash adjusts certain coordinates (inner vs outer etc etc dont ask me exactly)
    so my objects didnt hold position when zooming in or moving the map.

i dont know if i posted the flashfile a while ago, but ill be home in 1 month again.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Does anybody know how some of the RL maps are done? The level of detail grows as you zoom in, and the quality of the map doesn't fade.

Example, for Dyark's map: When you are zoomed out, you can see names of the regions, if you zoom in on a region, you can see domains (they are not there already, they appear on a certain zoom level), etc.. where on the maximum zoom level you can see whatever there is to see. When you move along the map, it draws the details not in the current frame instead of just having been zoomed in on the whole continent.
    Yes, like google maps.

It seems to me that some of those maps actually zoom in on .png or .jpg files, on certain levels. Let's say 8 pics for first level of detail or continent view, another 8 for region view, another 8 for subregion view, another 8 for domain view. So, yes, that would be a lot of images.
    And when you are on the same level, you move along the map between images on the same level.
    LOL, I sound like a total newb.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads

map zooming

Rey it would be easy easier if I had a vector map (this is not the case right now )

if somebody made the map with cc3 or illustrator as vector i would try to have a better view of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyark View Post
    Rey it would be easy easier if I had a vector map (this is not the case right now )

if somebody made the map with cc3 or illustrator as vector i would try to have a better view of it.

here you go :-)
    Map in CC3 format made by Brian Sofen
    http://www.birthright.net/forums/dow...do=file&id=111
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads

the map

Well looks like i can't make a cc3 file into and eps file

anybody can make it ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, the guys that did Birmail had all the province mapped out in x y coordinates.

I imported the data they had in their java into mysql format for the Rjurik area, and from there you can use php GD library functions to "draw" provinces using standard image handling functions.

Email me at "charles at dupindesaintcyr dot com" and I can give you a backup of my "provinces" table, as well as a php class I used to "color province areas based on province control" -- you have to explode the coordinates and put them into an array in order to run a imagefilledpolygon() function.

The table also has the province's center x and y so that you can place the province name, flags or counters...

I know it's a bit heavy in terms of math: you can't be scared of geometry, but give it a few hours and this can save you days of "re-drawing" when province control moves from one person to the other...

Thread Information