Christoph Tiemann wrote:

> Michael Romes wrote:
> >>You won`t find several thousand coins anymore.<<
> >Why not?
> [snip]
> A sizeable hoard of treasure could very well be all shining copper
> pieces and thousands of it...<
>Well, I guess there`s really nothing wrong with this approach, if you like it. However, I fail to see the logic behind it. If we argue that Gb do not only represent cash but also goods and services this implies that the average human farmer does not see enough coins in his daily life to be able to pay his taxes in cash. Coins in a medieval world are much rarer than nowadays.
>Following this approach, it becomes difficult to explain how a bunch of kobolds living in the middle of nowhere were able to assemble such a large amount of cash. And even if they did, why do they just keep it lying around? Weren`t they able to find something to spend it on?
>In addition, many other Campaign worlds possess a bunch of fallen empires whose ruins still dot the landscape and are filled with ancient treasures. Cerilia only has the Masetians and some fallen elven kingdoms, but nothing comparable to Myth Drannor, Netheril (from FR) or the Suloise or Baklunish empires (Greyhawk).
>However, I grant you that immense hoards of gold coins are a staple of fantasy literature. Anyway, I prefer to reserve this kind of treasure for a few select monsters who are long-lived enough to assemble a large amount of cash and are inclined to hoard their wealth (i.e. Dragons, maybe some Giants).
>Most other creatures have just as hard a time as your average human to come up with a handful of cash.
>
Kobolds could amass that amount over a long time if coins are so rare,
that is if we assume that the typical peasant has to pay his taxes in
sheep or even eggs. Do you mean similar to the situation in the movie
"Rob Roy" wherer Robert Mc Gregor had to take a loan to buy cattle
because he had land but no coin?

Cerilia has it´s Myth Drannor and even more of it: The fallen Sidhelian
Empire that spanned the entire Aelvynnwode across the whole continent
and was ruled by Sidhe Braechlaninn (or however he is written).
bye
Michael Romes

The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.