Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The biggest problem would be to have a trustworthy wizard or wizards do it for you as there are very few that could. This would make it near impossible unless you were the wizard in question. They would still nead to know how to do it magic on that scale is few and far between so they would likely need to research it unless you go to the guy in khinasi and he doesn't sound too trustworthy.
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by graham anderson
    The biggest problem would be to have a trustworthy wizard or wizards do it for you as there are very few that could. This would make it near impossible unless you were the wizard in question. They would still nead to know how to do it magic on that scale is few and far between so they would likely need to research it unless you go to the guy in khinasi and he doesn't sound too trustworthy.
    problem is making a magic item(which is essentially what a golem is) was a big deal in 2e, and it isnt anymore. All it takes is a wizard with the right spells and caster level, and the Craft Construct feat. With the onset of 3e, it is no longer assumed that information is that hard to find.

The only part where this rubs the setting wrong has to do with the culture of magic i mentioned before.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It becomes a problem as wizards are rare and usualy low level. How many wizards would have craft construct. I would still consider research necessary just to get the feat in the birthright this is no forgotten realms thank goodness.
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    It becomes a problem as wizards are rare and usualy low level. How many wizards would have craft construct. I would still consider research necessary just to get the feat in the birthright this is no forgotten realms thank goodness.
    I guess that wizards are rare, but given a golem's status as a "magic item" I dont see why it would require anymore research than making any other magic item which requires a feat to create.

The only problem with forcing research for certain feats is that it becomes a slippery slope: what about other feats, such as metamagic? Are they too, rare and thus undiscovered? What about somewhat rare non magic feats such as weapon mastery, for those who become high level fighters and want to use the PHB? How do you adjuicate the 'worth' of said feats when it comes to xp/time/gold costs for research?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It comes down to the dm of course but things like creating a golem is very different from practicing with a sword and there are restrictions by culture race etc anyway (Well maybe not restriction but heavy biases). How would you know the feat, does it pop into your head it depends on how you view experience, feats etc in a rare magic world I would say you would need good reason IE training or research to be able to take it. Feats do have requirements and in birthright I feal training or research into the subject would be a good requirement.
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    It comes down to the dm of course but things like creating a golem is very different from practicing with a sword and there are restrictions by culture race etc anyway (Well maybe not restriction but heavy biases). How would you know the feat, does it pop into your head it depends on how you view experience, feats etc in a rare magic world I would say you would need good reason IE training or research to be able to take it. Feats do have requirements and in birthright I feal training or research into the subject would be a good requirement.

I take it then that you hold the same views on all item creation feats?

Downloads
    Uploads
    For most of them you can take anything you meat the requirements for at creation as you can add it into your background. Outside of creation things get harder finding information or knowing information on say craft wonderous item or making weapons etc might be relativly common place so I would have a problem with someone taking them. Rarer and more powerful things are different though I think it comes down to a DM decision I have been known to be quite harsh to players about skills and level.

Examples being.

Player1: I want to gain a level in wizard.

DM: How whats your reason you havn't cast a single spell or used your magical skills.

Player1: But I gain a higher level spell slot if I gain a level.

DM: Tough you can wait until you can spend the time to gain a level or take something else.
    MORNINGSTAR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Craft Construct is an item creation feat though.

*edit*
    and it deals with creating all constructs from Homonculi to golems.

by all rights, a wizard could craft constuct as early as 3rd level
    Last edited by Starmage21; 07-14-2006 at 06:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont see it as a common magic in birthright and in the other D&D books there are lots of rare magic feats that can be taken I think that as it is not widely known it should require more than an I take that feat.
    MORNINGSTAR

Thread Information