The Northern Marches » Dhoesone » Interesting people in Dhoesone » Karlyn the Grim
Male Anuirean Fighter 4. expert 4; CR: 8
Lineage of commoners
Unblooded
LN Medium humanoid

VP/WP x/x
Init +x
Languages Anuirean, Rjuven, Goblinoid

AC ,
Fort +x, Ref +x, Will +x

Speed ft
Melee Atk
Ranged
Base Atk

Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 12.
Feats:
Skills:
'''Special Qualities:
Description:
Possessions: A masterwork axe and wyvern-hide scalemail, both relics of his days as a soldier in the guard.
Typical Dialogue:
The plan is daring – but none would suspect those such as us, with so many, more obvious suspects.
If the law will not protect the people it has no right to prevent them from defending themselves.

[top]Biography

Karlyn runs a small lumbermill in the north of Sidhuire, he is lauded by his fellows for the strength of his axe in goblin raids and the fairness of his prices.

A year ago the village fell on hard times when giant raiders stole, killed, or drove off their cattle and Count Marcus assigned the rights to run the small mine upriver to a minion of Adaere Doneim rather than to the villagers who had worked it for generations.

The village now sees precious little profit from the mine – Doneim’s man both pays badly for their labour and charges highly for goods sold in the mine store – which is the only source of many of the goods needed by the village.

Karlyn has seen the village rapidly decline and has decided to take action. He has started training the youths of the town to form an effective militia - reducing the need for the Count's support should allow the village to buy the right to defend their lands and thus reduce his powers over them. He has also begun organising minor acts of sabotage against the guild, ostracising those few villagers who support the guild, and trying to undermine the guild's monopoly over trade in the area.

Purpose: Adventure, matter of justice: two wrongs don’t make a right.

[top]Followers

None.

[top]Plots and rumors

[top]The lure of silver

Knowing that the miners recently came across a small vein of silver while pursuing a vein of copper, he has decided to lead the militia in attacking the merchant wagon selected to carry the precious cargo to the capital of Sonnelind.

While the wagon will doubtless be guarded, Karlyn knows that many of the guards will be from the local militia, and thus turncoats on command. Further he has contacted a number of burly woodsmen who can be counted on for silence to aid the militia – the wealth of the mine will fall into the villagers hands and be used by them to buy new livestock and perhaps a sponsor to put forward their case over the mine.

With almost the entire village in on the conspiracy Karlyn is not worried about being discovered so long as the raid goes well – he expects that blame can easily be placed on either goblins or one of the rival merchant guilds, and is carefully collecting evidence to plant that will suggest either possibility.

Tags for this Page