+ Reply to Page
    Comments
    Downloads
    Uploads

How much is the license?

I am just being curious if anybody knows how much getting a license would cost roughly? In order to produce any related products to the IP? :)

Comments
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I do not think that WotC would ever give up the license. They know its valuable... they just don't want to do anything with it because the consider other IP more profitable...

My question is, why hasn't people like Rich Baker or Ed Stark ever contributed anything more to BR...?

Comments
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its a good question, Id be interested if they are doing any new projects?

I dont know much about licensing, I am guessing or speculating that the Original IP holders lease it or aspects of it, into different mediums.

E.g.

Birthright - Video games
    Birthright - RPG's
    Birthright - Boardgames
    Birthright - Novels

You can probably exchange birthright to lord of the rings or warhammer etc. Different companies seem to do different types of products with access to the IP license.

I as just wondering if it would cost anything to write and publish say an adventure, what sort of cost is it? I guess it varies from IP to IP, but there must be some ball park figures out there? I figured someone here may have already asked or approached *squint* Wizards of the Coast? or TSR? or the authors? about it? I love the setting and this resources has been invaluable for the campaign I am running, so much gratitude to the contributers and the hosts!

Comments
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you just want to publish a BR adventure here and have it added to the downloads or run it at a convention, there should be no problems.
    If you are wanting to publish and get paid for the work, then that is where you will run into trouble.
    From memory (there will be more official documentation on this site to give you more detail), WoTC dropped BR from the list of worlds with published commercial content when it was no longer financially viable to have so many competing game-worlds. They retained ownership for a few reasons, one of which was likely to be (IMHO) that if D&D became popular enough to be able to support more game-worlds, then BR could again be commercially viable for them.
    D&D 5e has boosted popularity for the game and some of the other cancelled game-worlds have come back. Perhaps Birthright will too.
    Doyle

Comments
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Doyle,

Yup it was the running into trouble bit I was curious about the costs involved. They could be a little or a lot or a king's ransom, I have no idea :)

But people do it all the time, so it cant be that expensive can it? :D

Comments
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven View Post

But people do it all the time, so it cant be that expensive can it? :D
    https://www.lawinsider.com/resources...n-game-license

I don't know whether this interpretation of the open game license is correct but you might get a better idea of whether any additional payment is required from this article.

Sorontar

Tags for this Page

Similar Pages

1. WotC
    By Sorontar in forum Main
    Comments: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 11:39 PM
  2. Birthright license agreement
    By Sorontar in forum Main
    Comments: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 10:47 PM