Thread: BRCS hiatus?

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

BRCS hiatus?

Why has the BRCS effectively stopped? Only the first two chapters have been sanctioned from what I can tell and that was apparently two years ago. What's happened to the rest?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Moslty lack of support and energy (on my part).

A few people have chimed in to aid in the writing, but mostly they either got sucked up into other projects or tried to insert house-rules and ignore the redults of polls conducted.

I do have some work done on Chap 3 (some by a faithful attemped helper) but it still needs some work (new spell descriptions and editorials) before it can be posted for review.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    What about proofreading and rules checking? Even in the sanctioned chapters, I've noticed occasions where the rules are still referring to Bloodline as a statistic (Major 10, Great 18, for instance), as well as a couple of basic typographical errors.

I'm more than willing to help. The BRCS has been out in the Vos cold for far too long!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would like to help with BRCS too. Birthright is my favorite RPG setting since 1995, when it was first published. I have almost all of the BR material, but what I miss I have on my PC as a scan.

So whatever You need, I am here...

PS: Although I hate WOTC vanilla d20, and their approach on RPGs, I know that house-rule freaks (like myself, lol) only make it harder for the majority, even if we invent those rules to further what we think is best for our favorite settings.

PS II: English is not my native language, so that might prove a setback, but I believe that there are always someone who can correct minor errors I make.
    "If the wizards and students who lived here centuries ago had practiced control - in their spellcasting and in their dealings with the politics of the empire - you would be studying in a tall tower made by the best dwarf stone masons, not in an old military barracks."
    Applied Thaumaturgy Lector of the Royal College of Sorcery to new generation of students.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    What about proofreading and rules checking? Even in the sanctioned chapters, I've noticed occasions where the rules are still referring to Bloodline as a statistic (Major 10, Great 18, for instance), as well as a couple of basic typographical errors.

I'm more than willing to help. The BRCS has been out in the Vos cold for far too long!

I actually have a list of editorials that I've been compiling as people have made them (not really that many considering).

Which are the statistic ones you are referring to (major 10, Great 18)?

Are they are in the feat table? If so that is refering to a score value that is required to take the feat (Bld = blood score value). So at times you might be required to have a blood score value of 32 and scion class level 2 (Animal affinity - great) or blood score 36 and scion class level 2 and Basaia bloodline derivation (Light of Reason - Great).
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's mainly in Chapter Two (of course), where they're discussing bloodlines and genetics, but it also occurs in Chapter Eight, with the monsters - I think the Ogre has an incorrect score. (He also has one feat too few for a human Fighter 6/Ogre 6.)

I work as a proofreader/editor and I spot spelling mistakes a mile off, so any others I find, I'll be sure to pass on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    It's mainly in Chapter Two (of course), where they're discussing bloodlines and genetics, but it also occurs in Chapter Eight, with the monsters - I think the Ogre has an incorrect score. (He also has one feat too few for a human Fighter 6/Ogre 6.)

I work as a proofreader/editor and I spot spelling mistakes a mile off, so any others I find, I'll be sure to pass on.

I don't understand the "problems" in Chap 2 with genetics - you will need to be more specific as to what the issue(s) are there.

Chap 8 hasn't been updated yet - so it will need to "catch up".

Also since the sanctioned changes to Chap 1 several things in the Domain and War chapters need to "catch up" too.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads

Proof-reading Part I

Moving through Chapter One systematically, I found these inconsistencies (abilities and races only so far).

ABILITY SCORES
    * "7th" should be written out as "seventh".

CHARACTER RACE
    * Under Anuirean, the end of the third paragraph should read "...no more or no less than the other peoples of Cerilia."
    * Under Khinasi cultural traits, the first sentence would probably read better as "... traders and merchants who know that an individual's ..."
    * Under Rjurik, in the last paragraph before the cultural traits, the sentence should probably read "... the Rjurik are an amalgamation of the Nordic Vikings..."
    * Under Vos, the quick pronunciation guide seems to indicate that it should be pronounced something similar to "vase" or "varze" or "varse". Surely that can;t be correct?
    * Still under Vos, in the last paragraph before the cultural traits, the sentence should read "There is no written version of the Vos language..."
    * In the Dwarven racial abilities list, under Increased Density, Swim and Tumble are both skill names and should have their first letters capitalised.
    * In the introductory section on Elves, in the third paragraph, that should be "... elves are unpredictable, doing what pleases them ..."
    * Under Elves, in the fourth paragraph, this should be "... diseases such as lycanthropy can harm them."
    * Ibidem, the contraction should probably be written out for greater formality. "Elves do not need to sleep, ..."
    * Under Elves, in the sixth paragraph (page 6), similarly "who've" should probably be written as "who have".
    * In the Elven racial abilities list, under Timeless, the second bracketed aside breaks up the flow of the sentence. Try this perhaps: "... starting age or ageing effects for Cerilian elves (years have no meaning for an ageless race)."
    * Under Favoured Class, "spell casting" should either be one word or hyphenated. WotC prefers the first, but the second looks less squashed together.
    * In the nature magic variant, "4th-level" should be emboldened to fit with the other level numerals.
    * Ibidem, "Magic Fang, Greater," should probably be altered to "Magic Fang (Greater)" to avoid confusion.
    * Ibidem, the full stop is missing: "... any bonus spells. It only adds ..."
    * Under Halflings, in the first paragraph, this should read "In the early years of the Anuirean Empire ..."

(Incidentally, ibidem is a Latin word meaning "in the same place". Reference works, quotation books especially, use it constantly to avoid listing the same locations time and time again.)

Thread Information