Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Last one on this topic.

Since you put you RP & GB in the domain, it means you will use it per case of use for multiple regents ??

PS How are you guys advancing on the rest ??

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyark View Post
    PS How are you guys advancing on the rest ??
    to be honest.. i havnt done much lately..
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I discovered some code for the map api, so i working on it (also finishing my vector map)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been waiting 3 months to start my project. Database model is morphing.

In the mean time I've been creating little pages to sharpen my skills.

Last weekend I did a php tool to drop in a directory & query any database to list all tables & their fields. (I actually spent 5 hours working on a spider to capture pages,...finding mac osx 10.3.9 has bad EOF marker which prevents it from working for me).

This weekend I'll do another tiny tool or improve last weekends. I might do a random realm generator.

If you guys wanted to setup read only access on your servers & exchange login's for that - I don't have anything really on mine, but I could create update scripts for fields that are wrong in database & leave them on here for you guys.

Otherwise, I'm just plodding along on my editor for the fields of database...so people without tech skills can help correct wrong data.
    Legacy of Kings: Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirviriam View Post
    I've been waiting 3 months to start my project. Database model is morphing.

In the mean time I've been creating little pages to sharpen my skills.

Last weekend I did a php tool to drop in a directory & query any database to list all tables & their fields. (I actually spent 5 hours working on a spider to capture pages,...finding mac osx 10.3.9 has bad EOF marker which prevents it from working for me).

This weekend I'll do another tiny tool or improve last weekends. I might do a random realm generator.

If you guys wanted to setup read only access on your servers & exchange login's for that - I don't have anything really on mine, but I could create update scripts for fields that are wrong in database & leave them on here for you guys.

Otherwise, I'm just plodding along on my editor for the fields of database...so people without tech skills can help correct wrong data.
    i know flip is running subversion on this server as well, ill ask him for an account.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good stuff, I'll try to find a version of subversion that runs on 10.3.9

Downloads
    Uploads

Database

Anybody worked on anything except me for a couple of months ?? :confused:

Downloads
    Uploads
    After site went down again I haven't wrote any actual code.

This was taking too long & I never went back to project after crash. I seriously consider writing more, but it was so much waiting around for responses. If I didn't wait, I might as well been writing my own inflexible version of birthright.

I think really what bugs me the most, is that I can code for the battletech community which is being used to run 3 campaigns right now or I can keep checking the forum here for replies, if & when the website is up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    for my part, i have already started the coding, it is advancing well, i am looking for beta testting around march (hopefully )

I did not change my mine on flexibilty, it is really flexible and also i am commenting my codes a lot so somebody who wants to take my work can do it easily (all in actionscript 3 and php)

I am aslo building tools for customs data like (that is a big wish) every regent has to developp their provinces and provide adventure data for somebody other than him !

we will see anyway

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been working also in my free time in a tool to manage Birthright PbeM games, I posted this in the Empire's Twilight PbeM forum, but I'm going to repost it here, maybe someone finds it interesting.

All this work is in .NET, and the idea is to produce 2 tools:

- One is the game manager: this can be deployed as a desktop app for the GM only, or as a web app (based on Silverlight) for the GM and the players. The server side would need Windows (Professional XP/W7 or Server to host the web server that is IIS), and SQL Server as the DB (SQLS Express works).

- A data importer from Excel. This tool will allow to fill the initial game data (provinces, holdings, units,...)

I have done a lot of work on the manager, although December has been horribly slow (I have been out on holidays a lot), and the data importer is just a proof of concept (although I have all the important parts done, now it's just a matter of create the UI).

Edit: no images as it seems BR doesn't allow more than 10 in a single post, so I have posted links to them.

----

I have continued advancing a lot, although far more slowly than expected as I have had to fight some bugs with LightSwitch (it's in Beta 1 state) and I had to re-do some things several times until I got them more or less right (specially how to handle visibility of data and game rules). I hope I'll hit soon the point when I'll upload the code to an open source repository (probably Codeplex, not sure yet). But if anyone wants to check let me know and I'll send it to you (a developer version, so be ready to install a lot of Microsoft/.NET things to try it).

A little overview on how things are going (long post with lots of images).

First, uses of the tool:

1) The tool can be installed in a GM computer as a desktop application. Only the GM will be able to access it, and he will need to find some way to give information to the players (the application can export some information but it is very limited. That may change in the future as it's technically possible to write a tool that queries the DB directly and generates html, pdf, word,... but it's a pain to do).

2) The tool can be installed in a web server as a web application. This allows the GM and players to access it, to modify and check the game data. Like the website we have here in ET for example.

So, let's assume you install and start the tool. First thing you will see is that you have to log in, by default the tool will come only with an "Administrator" user created:

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...Manager/C1.png

With him you must create the other users of your game: game masters and players. In the "Roles" screen there are three defined roles: Administrator (with permissions to administrate users and roles), Game Master (with permission to change any game data) and Game Player (with permission to access player screens).

So far the tool supports Birthright 2e and Empire's Twilight rules (B3e coming when I learn it), so you need to add a special permission to Game Master and Game Player to let them know which rules are going to be used in the game.

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...Manager/C2.png

Then you just create the users and you are ready to start.

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...Manager/C3.png

Once users are created, people will log to the game. First, a GM needs to log to create the game data (characters, domains,...). There is an external tool that loads data from Excel to the game so you don't have to write it all every time you start a game (it's pretty rough right now, I have to improve it a lot).

So, you are a GM and you log, this is what you will see:

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...Manager/C4.png

GM data is divided in three parts:

- Basic Data: this is data that is independent of the ruleset you are using. For example, Terrains. No matter if in BR 2e plains can have up to 10 population and in ET is 8 (or whatever), the data "structure" is the same, the only thing that change are the values.

- Birthright 2e Data: this is data that depends on the ruleset. For example, land units. All rules have land units, but they are so different that is impossible to fit them all in the same table in a way that makes sense. So I've decided to separate that data into a table for each ruleset. This appears because we set our players to have the B2e permission, if we have set the ET permission, then we would be seen the Basic ET Data screen instead.

- Game Data: the really interesting data, the actual game. Here the GM administrates characters, domains, units,... This is the hardest part to design and code. So far, only the "Players" and "Characters" are fully done. "Domains" is nearly done, but as things advance it will have to evolve (adding units, economic overview, trade routes, diplomatic agreements,...).

There are a few special fields on all the tables.

- "Visible for Players?": data marked is visible for players (public). For example, you may create a character that is "The Gorgon", but you won't make him visible. But in general this applies to all data: you don't want players to create characters with Azrai bloodline? Don't mark that derivation as visible and they won't be able to. And so on.

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...Manager/C5.png

- "Player Information"/"GM Information"/"Owner Information": this text fields are so players and GMs can add random information there. For example, I'm the onwer of the Boeruine Trading Guild, I may put some text into the "Player Information" textbox (background of the guild, public known info,...) and all players will be able to read it. But text in the "Owner Information" will only be visible to me (and the GMs ). GM Info is only visible to GMs and can be useful for them to take notes on events, problems,...

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...Manager/C6.png

- "Are Rules Enabled?": this field may disappear, not sure. It indicates if the application tries to enforce the rules or not. For example, only one regent can have a level 1 or higher holding in a level 2 province in B2e, so with rules enabled the game will give an error if a second one is tried to be created. If this flag is disabled, the application won't say anything. But given that BR is so exception based, and that people tend to know the game pretty well (specially GMs), I'm not sure if this will be very useful. Comments are appreciated

Some screens of the data that works. First Players. One important thing is that they should have the same name as the User associated with it, or the app won't find the player data.

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...Manager/C7.png

Game characters.

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...Manager/C8.png

Although it doesn't appear there (it's to the left), characters are marked as GM Approved. When it's checked, it means the GM has reviewed and approved the character. Players can create new characters for their domains, and then when the GM checks this list he will receive a warning if there are characters that aren't GM approved yet.

Last example of GM screens, the detail of Medoere (per the RoE rules with some concessions from my part).

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...Manager/C9.png

Now, imagine you log as a player. This is what you will see:

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...anager/C10.png

Pretty similar to the GM part. Basic Data and Basic 2e Data aren't very interesting, they are like the GM sections but only visible data will be shown and the GM Info is hidden. This is to check information without needing the rulebook or going to Birthright.net and so on.

Game Data is more interesting, let's see for example the public information for Medoere.

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...anager/C11.png

As you can see, the data that is shown is filtered (some things don't appear) and other things are "masked" as they are here in ET (you don't see the real values, just hints). Also I have hidden the Sources from Hermedhie.

And Own Data is the player domain, characters,... The player can modify very few data: add new characters, add turns (in the future ), modify public information,... The idea is that the GMs are the ones changing things when they solve turn submissions.

This is for example Medoere when seen by the owner player.

http://kartones.net/images_posts/mas...anager/C12.png

He can see the exact details of the holdings in his lands, but he can't see the hidden Sources.

And that's it so far The tool is becoming much bigger than I have anticipated (I suck at estimations ), but I think it's coming along pretty well. So far my main problems are:

- Handling multiple different rules, specially economy. I bet I'll have problems also with other weird things like buildings and spell effects.
    - App is super ugly. And it will remain pretty ugly in the end This can be fixed doing custom controls, but for that you need two things: artistic talent (I lack that) and a TON of time (I lack that too).
    - App is slow. Microsoft has said they are working on this, who knows.
    - Microsoft breaking the app. I'm using a Beta 1 software, it will probably change when it moves to Beta 2, and change again when it moves to RTM. I expect things to break (nothing too serious, but it could be all the app, I have seen it before ).
    - I need more free time

And my main work:

- Adding more tables and screens. Specially Domain Provinces, Holdings, Units, Trade Routes, Ley Lines, Vassalages, Mercenaries.
    - Work on the data importer app.
    - Think about a data exporter app (not sure I'll ever tackle this).

Also, thanks to Gio: even if I have not seen anything of your code in ET, it has inspired me in some places so far And to Gustav for sharing those huge excel spreadsheets to test data importing

Thread Information