Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

House Rules Elton (version by: Elton Robb)

Discussion thread for User:Elton Robb/House Rules Elton. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Thanks, Andrew, for linking "Raesene" to the proper Wiki article.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Elton Robb View Post
    Discussion thread for User:Elton Robb/House Rules Elton. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Thanks, Andrew, for linking "Raesene" to the proper Wiki article.
    You are welcome, although possibly I should have linked him to the Gorgon instead - the Raesene Andu article I wrote is a tad biased from recollection.

I'm not familiar with the combat system from Iron Crown Enterprises but wish you the best of luck with your campaign.

I have to say I like the idea of combat styles for weapons as well as for unarmed combat - the 3.5e monk is fairly silly in my view - if their training can increase their weapon damage by 3 sizes (d2 to d8) why can't a fighter increase their weapons deadliness likewise? Any one who has seen how easily a knife, club, etc can cause serious damage (and compared it to a punch-up brawl) is all to familiar with why every single military force in history has trained its people in the best weapons available to it.

The martial arts fetish in many RPG's to me is either based on vastly more skilled martial artists than warriors (you have to be very good at unarmed combat to be as dangerous as someone unskilled with a weapon) or a cinematic gamestyle that ignores reality (I hit him, he is unconscious, next...) I can see the need for the heightened combat ability from a balance perspective but prefer martial artisits to get other benefits (rogue sneaking abilities, psion abilities, etc) than raw combat munchkin-ness.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    The martial arts fetish in many RPG's to me is either based on vastly more skilled martial artists than warriors (you have to be very good at unarmed combat to be as dangerous as someone unskilled with a weapon) or a cinematic gamestyle that ignores reality (I hit him, he is unconscious, next...) I can see the need for the heightened combat ability from a balance perspective but prefer martial artisits to get other benefits (rogue sneaking abilities, psion abilities, etc) than raw combat munchkin-ness.
    That's why Martial Arts doesn't work in AD&D or D&D 3.x. They are a mishmash of broken, hard to understand rules. Although Unarmed Martial Arts have been improved by 3rd party books; these are largely ignored because people prefer the standard D&D rules.

I happen to like Arms Law; that although it is very deadly to PCs for being realistic; the rules for Martial Arts is simple to understand with that system. Grappling isn't resolved through a complicated mathematical formula; but adding bonuses and penalties and rolling and refering to two charts: one for striking, and one for critical striking (which causes problems for some D&D enthusiasts).

I have many more Martial Arts planned, especially Pankration: the 5 Tribes' unarmed martial art.
    Regent of Medoere

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see that my house rules are getting popular.
    Regent of Medoere

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, in actuality, there is nothing munchkinny about the Monk. The only thing the Monk does well is stay out of danger, which is not terribly good for actually doing anything in combat. He can do mobility, skill use and hit points acceptably, but notably the rogue can do the first two much better. He can only fight as well as a cleric or rogue and is stuffed versus creatures with non-lawful/adamantine/magic DR. Without using weapons, he is robbed of the many weapon special abilities and will probably never get to use the many armour abilities.

A monk with full BAB and the ability to imbue his fists would be definitely more powerful, but I stil l doubt it would be considered munchkinny. For the record though, the Fighter is definitely one of the weakest classes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    For the record though, the Fighter is definitely one of the weakest classes.
    I can't agree whit that, fighter is maybe weak whit special abilities but he's variety of feat's make him a dangerous opponent at any level.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    Well, in actuality, there is nothing munchkinny about the Monk. The only thing the Monk does well is stay out of danger, which is not terribly good for actually doing anything in combat. He can do mobility, skill use and hit points acceptably, but notably the rogue can do the first two much better. He can only fight as well as a cleric or rogue and is stuffed versus creatures with non-lawful/adamantine/magic DR. Without using weapons, he is robbed of the many weapon special abilities and will probably never get to use the many armour abilities.

A monk with full BAB and the ability to imbue his fists would be definitely more powerful, but I stil l doubt it would be considered munchkinny. For the record though, the Fighter is definitely one of the weakest classes.
    Perhaps I should look at monks again. In my view one of the balances for the class - their ability to fight effectively after the PC's are stripped of equipment - occurs sufficiently rarely to be of benefit.

The class is not so much munchkinny - I can see the damage comparability to the fighter, but the concept of doing damage unarmed as easily as armed causes me realism issues, so not unbalanced but unreal... I would happily use monk as a fighter prestige class for example with monks using staffs, etc and use feats to represent their skill. The issue of DR would clearly be an issue if using monks - unless they have historically been common and so glove/gauntlet weapons are likewise common.

As regards the fighter I find effectiveness depends heavily on feat selection, the availability of magic, and the prevalence of combat in the game. If you go 3-4 sessions between fights the fighter will be pushed to contribute, if you have a roustabout a game they should be ok although some more skills wouldn't go amiss.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find the martial arts rules in AD&D 2e severely lacking; really. Even in 3.x. Although in 3.x they are greatly improved with feats; it's just that the feats are overly bloated.

That's not necessarily a bad thing; it's just that some feats aught to have been skills.
    Regent of Medoere

Downloads
    Uploads
    One fix I like is to have feats activate a new skill. I do this with Shadow World skills. Aside from halflings, no one starts out with Shadow World skills as class skills or cross class skills. But after SW encounters, you can buy SW feats and these allow the purchase of SW skills for dealing with that menacing realm.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Added an entry for Sidhelien archery. I think you'd recognize the Archer that represents an Cerilian Elven Archer.
    Regent of Medoere

Thread Information