Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

General 4th BR discussion

Wasn´t sure where to publish this, so I made a new thread.

Well, I have been following the excerpts from the upcoming D&D 4th PHB 2. And someting certainly caught my attention.

Core and plain D&D 4th edition is aiming to create a general-broad-scoping-anything fits kind of fantasy setting. But not to force you to use it all. Instead, I feel they are giving us solid rules for fantasy RPG, for the players and DMs to choose what to use and what not.

Take the Devas for example... I can´t imagine fitting them anywhere on Birthright, nor on many other fantasy settings. Same happens with Goliaths, or some of the classes. But a lot of new material is great and will help us push our game and setting forward.

My point is: we should not be afraid of letting core D&D 4th elements out if we feel they have no place in this setting. But on the other hand, we should keep an open mind to this new, fresh elements, that might bring new life to BR. All settings evolve (some too dramatically like Forgotten realms). I see no reason why we could not let a certain race or class if it is good and fun for the game. And arguing "it was not on BR 2nd Edition" is not enough in my opinion, just as forcing old mechanics in the game like the detect evil from the halfling. I hope that whatever we do with the conversion keeps this in mind.

sword and crown

has anybody converted it to 3rd or 4th edition?

Not yet, but the conversion is on its way judging by the forums.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are several 3e conversions, BRCS being the obvious example. 4e is the subject of several peoples house rules, though none have been uploaded to the forum / wiki yet.

Has anyone read the new WOTC license regarding fansites and their content? I can barely undestand legal speech in my own language, even less in english.

Quote Originally Posted by demonknight68 View Post
    has anybody converted it to 3rd or 4th edition?
    I believe you are referencing to whether the Sword & Crown had been converted and I do not believe that it has because full conversions of older modules seems to be a big no-no even if the module was like two editions ago and from an out of print setting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry. Actually I see no reason not to convert old adventures - I made an index for adventures on the wiki in the vain hope that people would do so That will teach me to read posts on my blackberry...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just tossing my two coins in here.

From what I've read about 4th Ed, I'll keep my 10' pole safely between me and that system.

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy, though...
    -Harald

Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.

Blog

Quote Originally Posted by The Swordgaunt View Post
    Just tossing my two coins in here.

From what I've read about 4th Ed, I'll keep my 10' pole safely between me and that system.

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy, though...
    Ahh... Okay. Then why are you over here? Thanks being productive to the thread.

And as for coverting old adventures I am pretty sure that is a big no-no to do a complete written conversions of the old text and adventure. I think the only way to get around this is just putting mechanic fluff as in [Insert This Combat in Room 3].

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dundjinnmasta View Post
    And as for coverting old adventures I am pretty sure that is a big no-no to do a complete written conversions of the old text and adventure. I think the only way to get around this is just putting mechanic fluff as in [Insert This Combat in Room 3].
    It shouldn't be. We can't copy and paste onto the site, but we can expand and add stuff without any problem. So you should be quite able to do big written conversions - just not anything that stops people selling the various pdf's.

Quite what the position is now that we are no longer official I'm not sure, but I can't see a problem with fairly chunky re-write or add-ons. I'd expect it to be a 'you still need the product for x, y, and z' sort of expansion, but not a 'insert box 7 for the box on P15).

Thread Information