Thread: Ottoman Khinasi

Ottoman Khinasi

I started watching Magnificent Century(Muhteşem Yüzyıl) which is based on the rule of the early 16th century Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. Would playing Khinasi more based on the Ottoman Empire(having a domain/PC that uses Turkish/Ottoman naming conventions, titles, etc) instead of Moorish Spain/Arabian Peninsula be too far away from the norm?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a firm believer that the 'best' interpretation is always whatever is best for <your> campaign.

It might also avoid the Sinbad problem not to mention current political issue spill-over ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    I am a firm believer that the 'best' interpretation is always whatever is best for <your> campaign.

It might also avoid the Sinbad problem not to mention current political issue spill-over ;-)
    It would definitely help to mitigate political issue spill-over. But what is the "Sinbad problem"?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 'Sinbad problem' is something I came across briefly, which is a take on the Khinasi that goes for a Sinbad-style view of them (genies, fate, old 1950s B movie stuff).

Not a problem if you like it of course, but I found it a bit tiresome at the time. Possibly my inner grouch talking.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    The 'Sinbad problem' is something I came across briefly, which is a take on the Khinasi that goes for a Sinbad-style view of them (genies, fate, old 1950s B movie stuff).

Not a problem if you like it of course, but I found it a bit tiresome at the time. Possibly my inner grouch talking.
    Heh... interesting take. Like you, i've nothing against that kind of game if one likes it. But that's why there's Arabian Adventues and Al-Qadim- it's designed for that kind of thing. Birthright / Khinasi far far less so.

-Fizz

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuel View Post
    I started watching Magnificent Century(Muhteşem Yüzyıl) which is based on the rule of the early 16th century Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. Would playing Khinasi more based on the Ottoman Empire(having a domain/PC that uses Turkish/Ottoman naming conventions, titles, etc) instead of Moorish Spain/Arabian Peninsula be too far away from the norm?
    I don't see any issues with that at all. Maybe you can borrow the history of the Ottoman Empire as inspriation for a new Khinasi Empire campaign- united realms growing to challenge the strength of even the old Anuirean Empire. Just a thought... sounds fun.

-Fizz

Quote Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
    I don't see any issues with that at all. Maybe you can borrow the history of the Ottoman Empire as inspriation for a new Khinasi Empire campaign- united realms growing to challenge the strength of even the old Anuirean Empire. Just a thought... sounds fun.

-Fizz
    I really like that idea. I'm playing a Paladin(Oath of the Crown since our DM is letting us use SCAG and UA that is approved by him) and everyone else decided they would play members of my court even though I think they are probably going to be a diverse array of humans(so it really fits the Ottoman Empire idea).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I too am a firm believer in this principle
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Downloads
    Uploads

Khinasi: women and paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuel View Post
    I really like that idea. I'm playing a Paladin(Oath of the Crown since our DM is letting us use SCAG and UA that is approved by him) and everyone else decided they would play members of my court even though I think they are probably going to be a diverse array of humans(so it really fits the Ottoman Empire idea).
    I like khinasi people because they are so much honourables and they often are in command by women. Their deity Avani is a goddess. There is not masculine superiority in this country (unlike in Ottoman empire). This is part of the teachings of their goddess of reason, Avanalae, that one man is not enough to satisfy a woman.Women need four men to marry.In wealthy families, a man may also have two or even four wives however.These husbands or wives in excess is comfort because they are each entitled to two concubines or common-law.These are completely free in all their relations while married people, after these benefits received on behalf of diversity and of reason, are forced into exemplary fidelity under penalty of attacking their honour named sayim.These are completely free in all their relations while married people, after these benefits received on behalf of diversity and of reason, are forced into exemplary fidelity under penalty of attacking their honour. I like this very much but this is my campaign.You may do what you like.

Thread Information