Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rhuannach

Downloads
    Uploads

Rhuannach

Discussion thread for Rhuannach. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What do we know about this realm? Are there any extensive descriptions in any of the publications? I have noticed that for the Atlas it was originally assigned to Count Demeter to write but I gather than he has not posted since 2004 and nothing was done. For now I have managed to collect some stuff from the wiki and forum posts but it is next to nothing for what seems like an exciting elven realm.

Sorontar

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One entry in timeline:
    2010 Ma 1495 HC 522 MR Death of High Lord Daegendal of Rhuannach

Some short info in the cities of the sun. Maybe a few lines here and there on various matters, neighbors, awnies and alike. But I see you've put those and they seem a bit out of place.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the wiki I have just cut'n'paste, not rewritten. I certainly think things can be worked together so they all make sense, but I don't want to try if someone has already done it all.
    Last edited by Sorontar; 01-19-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typos
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, I have come across the Cities of the Sun pages. It isn't much but it is something to start with. The lack of control of over half of the provinces is .... interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been thinking about writing stuff on Rhuannoch for a while, but got distracted by the never-ending PS Dhoesone and then various computer games...

Several elven realms have law issues, stemming I think from a lack of willingness to consider expanded concepts of a law holding - elves may lack much formal governance but I see no reason why the word of the king can't be law even without a system of formal courts and so on - think of how influential some modern day clerics are even without any legal rights to give orders.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 12:34 AM 1/19/2010, Sorontar wrote:

>What do we know about this realm? Are there any extensive descriptions in any of the publications?

Here`s some stuff I wrote for an analysis of the Gheallie Sidhe that is part of a larger work on Cerilian elves. It`s much, but could provide some flavour and context:

RHUANNACH
    Among all the Sidhelien nations of Cerilia the most bizarre manifestation of the gheallie Sidhe is in the battle worn lands of Rhuannach where human refugees and besieged elves have joined together to fight for survival. Beset on three sides by Iron Hand orogs, gnolls of the Black Spear tribes and the magically love-besotted slave soldiers of the Lamia, the elven hunters have redefined themselves as protectors of their lands against these three threats. After the fall of Djira, human refugees in Rhuannach have sworn loyalty to the elf queen, and their efforts on her behalf have earned the grudging respect of even the most hardened gheallie Sidhe footsoldier. On more than one occasion the gheallie Sidhe and humans of Rhuannach have fought side by side against their mutual enemies.

Under the tutelage of the Sad Queen and her sylvan allies, many humans have even embraced Sidhelien culture, values and ideals. For their part, Rhuannach`s elves maintain their communities and standards, but they cannot help but recognize the importance of human assistance in their continued survival. Amongst humans a spin off organization has developed; the Rhuannach Wardens. With the guidance of Madina el-Wasir and Cidre bint Corina (who are rumored to be involved in a romantic relationship) these fierce warriors define their faith in Leira in ways that are compatible with the elven love of nature, and utilize their zeal in defense of their lands using methods common to the gheallie Sidhe. In fact, they sometimes work together to patrol, defend and even launch coordinated raids against their enemies.

In truth, it is the unspoken goal of many of Rhuannach`s gheallie Sidhe to help their human allies regain their lost land in Djira. Once these provinces are secured humans from Rhuannach can return to their traditional lands and leave the elves in peace. In fact, perhaps the forested provinces of those lands could be ceded to elves as thanks for their efforts, and in recognition of their superior understanding of the woods. If they were asked, more than a few humans in Rhuannach would even share this vision of the future.
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 01-20-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, that's pretty much what I thought was the vibe from the realm. I certainly think we can use the Rhuannach Wardens in various ways, military, religious and political. The future planning of the elves can also be taken as the general political direction of the court.

Of course, it helps the intrigue if there are some human and sidhelien opponents to both these approaches. Some opponents can be locals. Some can be outsiders with ulterior motives for their guild (e.g. getting access to trade routes and forests) and realm (e.g. the Iron Hand Tribes, Kozlovnyy, the Lamia).

Other possible plots can involve the other Elven realms in the area. For instance, what should a regent do if Innishiere was having military problems with Kozlovnyy? How about Cwmn Bhienn and the Lamia or Iron Hand Tribes? Can Rhuannach or its domains help in any way?

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rhuannach elves will probably dislike leaving the forests to go across plains to Innishiere, but battling on the borders or joining in with Cwmb Bheinn is more possible. Both realms have had to open their borders to humans, and also there is the Lamia that remains threat to both realms, since it is right between them.

Rhuannach could "send" their human refugee units to help Innishiere, but we can asses this information after the Rhuannach army units are defined.

Only one remark to the text above, not to confuse the ghaellie Sidhe (Hunt of the elves) with Sidhelien (elves).
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    Rhuannach elves will probably dislike leaving the forests to go across plains to Innishiere, but battling on the borders or joining in with Cwmb Bheinn is more possible. Both realms have had to open their borders to humans, and also there is the Lamia that remains threat to both realms, since it is right between them.

Rhuannach could "send" their human refugee units to help Innishiere, but we can asses this information after the Rhuannach army units are defined.
    Exactly. Common neighbours, some times common enemies, but not always for the same reason. Kozlovnyy could be a pain to both Innishiere and Rhuannach but for one it could a military problem and the other might be trade related or a religious incursion. The issue would be how could Rhuannach act so that it is most to their political advantage? Trade restrictions? Close access to certain provinces? Send soldiers? Say nasty things about Kozlovnyy in other realms? Or even get really friendly with the members of the Kozlovnyy court? Fighting is not always the only option. This is a game of diplomacy not wargaming.

Of course, if any resources are devoted to one problem, the realm might not be able to cope when other problems get bigger.

Sorontar

Thread Information