Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Senior Member marcum uth mather's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Our campain has turned to a dwarven them, and i am looking for any info you guys think is pertenit. I bought the baruk-azick book, but they made the capitol city too small for my tasts. was wandering what tweeking you all have done to the dwarves in BR?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I changed their stat modifiers as follows:

2nd Edition: +1 Str, -1 Dex, +1 Con, -1 Charisma

With the stats this way, you don't have to worry about the racial min/max stats and the way they do not match up to the NPCs in the books. There are dwarves presented there that have 16 or 17 dexterity, which is supposedly impossible by the character creation rules because the initial range is 3/16, after which you apply the -2 Dex. Also, the dwarven Charisma range is supposed to be 3/17. Abolishing the initial Dex range of 3/16 and lowering the Dex penalty to -1 makes the NPCs with the 16 and 17 Dex scores legal. You can also abolish the 3/17 initial Cha range, because giving Cha a -1 penalty makes 17 the highest anyway. The bonus to Str and Con keeps follows the endurance and toughness of the dwarves.

---

3rd Edition: +2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Charisma

While 3rd Edition doesn't use racial min/max stat ranges, it only uses even-numbered modifiers so that each adjustment is guaranteed to make a change to the stat modifier. Having odd numbered adjustments allows a player to effectively negate their penalty while keeping their bonus.

Senior Member marcum uth mather's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the Idea!!!! didi you by chance do any designing of a dwarven city I could barrow?

Downloads
    Uploads
    While I agree somewhat to the proposition that Dwarves could stand to have a -2 to DEX, I don't think having a +2 to CON is such a good idea. As the CON stat for Dwarves increases, too much unbalancing can occur. Hit points increase with higher CON, as well as increased bonuses to saving throws.
    Sure, the lower DEX may make them take an extra hit 1 out of 10 times, but it's not something that won't heal up. This doesn't even mention the possibility of a 20 strength for Dwarves, which adds both their attack and damage bonuses. I think Dwarves make a pretty good tank as it is. Just my opinion though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by Krow

While I agree somewhat to the proposition that Dwarves could stand to have a -2 to DEX, I don't think having a +2 to CON is such a good idea. As the CON stat for Dwarves increases, too much unbalancing can occur.
    Sorry, but if I think of the embodiment of endurance (of humanoids), I think of dwarves. The incensement of Con is a very good idea, as well as the Str increase. Dwarves are typical fighters and train for it, since they can walk. Otherwise they are not as dexterous as other races (and not as beautiful), that’s why reduced Dex and Cha. If you sum it out, the dwarf will have the ability modifiers +/- 0. It is balanced!

Good work, Keovar...
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you, Ariadne. :)

Marcum - The biggest dwarven delves were produced for the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms campaigns. Of course they require some conversion work, but at least the maps are huge. The Dragonlance boxed supplement was called "Dwarven Kingdoms of Krynn" and the Forgotten Realms book was called "Dwarves Deep". There is also an adventure called "Axe of the Dwarvish Lords" that is based in a fallen dwarven city. The maps there could be used as a pattern to create a living dwarven city, if you use a bit of imagination to "fix" the areas that are in ruins and see what they would be like when they were new.

Good Luck!

~Keovar Arcanes~

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello!

Ariadne wrote:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at: http://www.birthright.net/read.php?TID=1068
    >Ariadne wrote:
    >
    Originally posted by Krow
    >While I agree somewhat to the proposition that Dwarves could stand to have a -2 to DEX, I don`t think having a +2 to CON is such a good idea. As the CON stat for Dwarves increases, too much unbalancing can occur.
    >Sorry, but if I think of the embodiment of endurance (of humanoids), I think of dwarves. The incensement of Con is a very good idea, as well as the Str increase. Dwarves are typical fighters and train for it, since they can walk. Otherwise they are not as dexterous as other races (and not as beautiful), that`s why reduced Dex and Cha. If you sum it out, the dwarf will have the ability modifiers +/- 0. It is balanced!
    >Good work, Keovar...
    >
    Charisma is not beauty - even the vile Ogre Mage from the Monsters
    Manual has a charisma of 17 and you certainly would not consider an ogre
    mage as very beautiful (if you do dont´t tell me [shudder]).
    bye
    Michael

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by ConjurerDragon

Charisma is not beauty - even the vile Ogre Mage from the Monsters
    Manual has a charisma of 17 and you certainly would not consider an ogre
    mage as very beautiful (if you do don´t tell me [shudder]).
    O.K., you are right. In 2nd Edition Cha is associated with beauty, in 3rd not necessarily. Dragons with a high Cha aren't beautiful too...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello!

Ariadne wrote:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
    > You can view the entire thread at: http://www.birthright.net/read.php?TID=1068
    >
    > Ariadne wrote:
    >
    >
    >Charisma is not beauty - even the vile Ogre Mage from the Monsters
    >Manual has a charisma of 17 and you certainly would not consider an ogre
    >mage as very beautiful (if you do don´t tell me [shudder]).
    >O.K., you are right. In 2nd Edition Cha is associated with beauty, in 3rd not necessarily. Dragons with a high Cha aren`t beautiful too...
    >
    Have you noticed my nickname for posting? ;-)
    Dragons certainly can be beautiful - just like unicorns they are special
    magical beasts. And as a member of the Ultima Dragons Internet Chapter
    (UDIC) I personally object to the statement that dragons are not
    beautiful :-)

Charisma better describes someone who gets his way with people - either
    by charming them or by threatening them or by just knowing what to say
    to get them to do what he wants.

So to come back to dwarves - I personally would see a high level dwarf
    fighter armed to the teeth with a giant battleaxe dripping with blood
    VERY charismatic in the 3E sense... ;-)
    What is the opposite of the the rule someone here suggested as giving
    dwarves - 2 CHA
    bye
    Michael Romes

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you noticed my nickname for posting? ;)
    Err, yes I have. But if you only conjure dragons, you needn't to find them beautiful, only powerful... ;)

So to come back to dwarves - I personally would see a high level dwarf fighter armed to the teeth with a giant battleaxe dripping with blood VERY charismatic in the 3E sense... ;)
    Yes, it is the same problem with an high level orog: First laugh, then run... (if you aren't a follower of Cuiraécen ;) )

Thread Information