Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi all,

We play in Talinie, where the great the Northern Imperial Temple of Haelyn rules. They do this with an Iron fist and are kicking every other religion right into the sea.

I play the priest (NPC) with a no nonsense approach (like starship troopers movie bootcamp/geneva goverment). They hammer in that Haelyn is the only one, the true god and that work without great benift is really the only true way to show your gratitude.

I like this but the player are ganging up on me because they hate being told what to do (who isn't) . At least one player quit because he played a "soft" priest of Haelyn. Compared to my fasistic and over zealous priest.

My question is : How do you play or handle priest of Haelyn? Are they nice cuddely and friendly ? Are they militaristic (sp ??)? How do they react to other religions or other priest Haelyn not of the Northern Imperial Temple of Haelyn?

***The post was moved here because according to Arjan all priest related stuff falls under the College of Sorcery. While I would like the name to be changed to reflect it. IT hasn't happened as of yet. Lord Eldred

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you asking how to play a priest of Haelyn or how to play a priest of Haelyn from the NIT? Priests in general I'd say depend on their temple branch; NIT tend to be moralists who value constant hard work and ascetic value; WIT would tend to be more materialist and involved in secular matters(pro-Avan), may be inclined to sell indulgences and such practices =); OIT would tend to be ultra-conservative, interpreting the law universally and to the letter. Each faith have their different views(and of course, minor priests may differ from them, though they are unlikely to be high in the hierarchy).
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,
    Would-be ruler of you all. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I get my ideas of how to play each priest of a different church from the book or priestcraft, in there they give the fundamental differences of each temple domain for a guideline. Sorry I don't have anything else for you on this.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    While I have no problem with the way you are playing the NPC of the NIT, I would agree with Temujin that each sect views things differently. I am assuming that you have caused people to leave your group because you are telling them they have to play their priests the way you want them to but there is no reason for that...they could belong to another sect. Or they could be working to reform the sect from within. In my campaign, the Church of Haelyn is trying to unite all the other sects into one. It also recognizes other churches as being important and even cooperates with some. However, they would like people to convert to Haelyn.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    The player decided to play an other character. I place a great deal on roleplaying in my campaign. While I never said his chartacter must do as my NPC priest he decided that he didn't play it right.

I know now the NIT is rather hard and that the church is very important in this part of the world.

Thanks for the replies

~dmferry

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think a difference of opinion between a character and NPCs can actually spawn good roleplaying. PCs who conform to a mold come out like, well... cookie cutter PCs. PCs who are respectfully disobeidenant can be fun, though blatant obnoxious PCs need chastisement.

Your PC's choice to change character's may have been better in the long run.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it is too bad the person felt they had to change characters. I agree with Lawgiver that if the player just obediently followed the NPC, there would be no roleplaying. I think going against the grain would have spiced up the campaign.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    We will see what his new character will be like and how he will react to the NPC priest.

~dmferry

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a character who is a priestess(Abbess) of one of the sects of the Impregnable Heart of Haelyn. She has been shown her "destiny" and must unite all people under Haelyn. She doesn't believe that it means all must worship him but be under his rule so to speak. The government that rules must follow Haelyns beliefs and therefore his influence reaches all.
    My character has been put into and gotten herself into quite a few trying moments. I believe it has made the character strong and she has learned a lot. She knows that she has a purpose and is driven for that. Some things she will not budgeon, others she let's go but never forgets. I try to play her with a "try to do what is right above all" attitude and to show mercy, honor, and courage. I think I have the courage part down. I am still working on keeping my personal quirks out of the game. I really enjoy playing her. I have had so much fun developing her. Do you gear your priests toward a balance leaning toward good or are you a die hard do gooder?
    Abbess Allessandra
    from the United Provinces of Haelyn
    "On your knees...to pray!"

Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I think it speaks volumnes about a player in regards to the way he handles 'failure' and 'opposition'. Instead of grumbling, whining, and quitting, IMHO, a good role player will rise to the occasion and try even harder to get out of the bad situation.

In this instance, I think you are in the right DM Ferry. If the NIT temple and government is so hard core and stead fast in your campaign, then it is reasonable that there would be a 'do it because you were told to' approach. THe players ought to either try to change this attitdue through play and intrigue, or roll with it as a characteristic of the game world. Afterall, not every realm needs to be run by the people for the people, and not every PC is going to be hailed the ultimate hero and saviour of the universe.

A nice way for the player to bow out of the harsh authority of the NIT would have been for him to decide to try and start a new faction under his guidance and/or ethics, or even join an alternate (and nicer pro-choice) temple of Haelyn. Choosing to quit the character and create a new one is just too easy a way out IMHO.

It is easy to role play success. It takes a bit more effort to gracefully role play failure.
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Thread Information