Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is something that is mentioned often enough - that Birthright is enjoyed by many because of its flavor - it is simply "cooler" than most worlds. Why is that? From where does BR draw its inspiration?

What are the defining characteristics of Birthright? Here is some of what I feel gives it flavor (doubtless, I forget something):
    -The magical feeling of the setting. Cerilia is a magical land - more magical than most settings. Why? Because magic feels more magical here - it is less the "+1 longswords come 13-a-dozen" and more the "this was my father's sword, with which he slew the rebellious baron of Ghellaen." Wizards and sorcerers are very rare and subtle - they can wield great power, but most of all, they are all mysterious - and a mystery is a power unto itself.
    -There are truly mythological monsters for characters to face, rather than the "gorgon-a-gogo" of most other D&D worlds. Each legendary enemy has a story of its own and wields terrible power. This also contributes to the magical feeling of the world.
    -The historical feel - the continent of Cerilia has a history, not too detailed, like some worlds, but rather a feeling of history - history has a meaning here, because things used to be different.
    -The gods. The gods aren't omnipotent here - they are very powerful, yes. But, like in greek or norse myth, a sufficiently powerful mortal can still challenge even the gods themselves.
    -The races - elves, dwarves, halflings - have more character of their own than in other worlds. Of course, they are what you make of them, but they are generally more different from humans than elsewhere. And the subcultures of humans are all different in very noticeable ways as well - and it is easy to relate to the differences, because they have real world counterparts.
    -The politics of the land - characters can be regents and make a difference in that regard.

All in all, there is more of an epic feel to Birthright than any other campaign I have seen published by TSR/WoTC. Why is that? It is because everything the PCs do is significant. Here, the PCs have a real impact on everything, potentially from 1st level and up. And you don't just defeat _a_ dragon - you defeat one of a very few remaining dragons, a legendary beast unto itself.

Then, what are the primary sources for inspiration in Birthright?

-Tolkien. Of all TSR worlds, Birthright is perhaps closest to Tolkien's works - you can draw some parallells, that while not entirely correct, still has some credence - the Gorgon (Sauron); Azrai (Morgoth); Kal-Saitharak (Barad-dûr); the Anuirean Empire (Gondor); Wizards - rare and mysterious; elves - distant from men. No such comparison is entirely accurate, yet there is certainly similarity.

-Arthurian myths. The king of the land; knighthood, chivalry, uniting a shattered land. In the Ruins of Empire, Mhoried always struck me as having an "Arthurian" quality - perhaps that is just the picture of the Mhor, though. From Arthurian myths, you can also draw wizards of great power, mystery and rarity (Merlin, Morgan le Fay), faeries, and the divine right to rule.

Doubtless, there are many other sources for inspiration - these are the ones that I see that lie closest to the "core" of BR, though - Anuire.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In there a purpose to this dissertation or are you simply making an observation and looking for a nod of agreement?
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a purpose. I want to know what people think Birthright is like, or should be like - and where people think the major wellsprings of inspiration lie.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally I lean more toward the Arthurian legends when discerning Birthright inspiration.
    This is an adventure dammit! I expect to be rewarded for acts of homicide!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I read that in Rich Baker's interview he said BR was originally written as a novel to rival that of Tolkien's work.

Although it didn't get anywhere as a novel, it worked out well as a game world, but don't quote me, I wouldn't want to look like I'm trying to be an authority on this.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    For my Anuirean game, I've found a great deal of inspiration in the Song of Ice and Fire series of George R.R. Martin. Beginning with A Game of Thrones, Martin's works do more to encapsulate political scheming and occasional massive warfare than any other fantasy author I've seen, and all that combined with a genuinely literate style and story.

If nothing else, Martin's characters have been very helpful in designing villains to confront my PC's. Guilder Kalien has much more interest, if played through the lens of Martin's Littlefinger.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Overall there are several keys items I love about Birthright:
    -The constant presentation of grander schemes than another monster and dungeon crawl.
    -The ability of low-level character to significantly change the course of the world adds meaning to the mundane. The idea that the king can be a first level warrior thrills me. Not everyone in power is powerful.
    -The structure, feudalistic appeal and relation to medieval times have a bit of a draw to them.
    -The overall absence of the foolish monsters and excessive numbers of strange creature presented in other campaigns appeals to me. I like a bit of fantasy, but do we really need creatures like Argos, crabmen, Giff, Necrophidius and other such abominations? I prefer to stick with the common humanoids and a rare phantasmal creature that is often unique or incredibly rare.
    -The absence of the cabal of high-level characters (particularly wizards).
    -The romanticism of magic. Not every one has a magic item (or 8=FR) and not every town has a spell caster. Wizards are rare creature to be respected and feared. I like to think of wizards in a context much like LOTR. Everyone widely respected and feared Gandalf and Sauruman, but honestly how many spells did they ever cast in the entire trilogy? It’s the reputation and the potential power that spreads the image.
    -As to the organization and presentation of gods… it makes no difference to me. I threw them out ages ago. :P
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    True, the lack of powerful wizards and their hot molten death spells adds the human element lacking in other systems. It elevates the mage to a mythical entity able to wield powers that few truly understand. Non-arcane players would have to rely more on their wits and forge relationships with the powers that be rather than simply bending them to his will. This coupled with the limitations of magic items requires a lot more role playing rather than just having an equipment sheet.

As for Gandalf, in LotR he really only does four things of any note. 1) - Fireworks at the party - big woop. 2) Slew the balrog - pretty cool even if he did die doing it. 3) Broke Saurman's staff - neat but he was washed up anyway. 4) He merely had to tell the Witch King 'Go away' at the gates of Minis Tirith.
    Afnae

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have to say the arthurian theme hits it for me. Like in Excalibur when the land is reborn as Arthur rides out to battle mordred.... In every game of AD&D I always wanted to play a king or lord with armies, castles, intrigue & politics but no campaign setting existed that allowed that capability until BR. I think what I love best about BR is its history & how your character can truly make history. BR holds the promise of what your character does can be epic & that ballads or tales of you & your kingdom could be told for millenia without end.
    0=[=====>
    Lord Valkyr, Duke of Aragon

Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is the depth of the setting I think, that does it for me. The story makes sese - there are reasons for everything. (Unlike otehr worlds that seem to plop stuff anywhere it seems coolest). People have a role in the greater setting rather than simply being a rack of stats to populate the markets and give the PC somebody to pick pocket.

Power is not soly measured in the statistics of the characters, but in the manner which that power is realized. A second level thief can be a power that is truly feared in Birthirght, while in other realms, the same fellow would be a random encounter meant simply as a sideshow.

It isn't about slaying the dragon to win the magic sword, instead, it's about the STORY of slaying the dragon.

For me, Martin does a major contribution as inspiration. His characters each view themselves as justified in what they do - they have the right of it, while the others are wrong. You're not sure who is the true 'good guy' and who is the villain. This is how Birthright should work IMO. Most tend to think the IHH is a good guy, but if they press their interests over those of Medeore's temples, then are they still the pillar of shining goodness? In the minds of their priests and faithful certainly, but ask a Ruornite what he thinks, and you'll get a different answer.

In short, I think it is the most 'realistic' fantasy setting produced by WotC, and that is what truley makes it grand.

:::Steps down from the soapbox:::
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Thread Information