Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Downloads
    Uploads
    << *snip*
    BE (p. 79) leaves this subject purposely open. quote:
    >Has the Serpent made contact with some divine powers other than those
    previously known to Cerilia? Has he madesome unholy >bargain with them? ...
    how can logic explain the spells that the Sons of the Serpent, the Serpent`s
    worshipers, are able to cast? If the >Serpent himself is not divine, what
    power fuels their magic? <
    Well, I can think of a number of possible explanations:
    *snip*
    2. A surviving part of Azrai (residual essence or whatever) supplies the
    spells. Perhaps that`s a first step on the way towards Azrai`s return to
    godhood and to Cerilia.
    3. Another god of the Cerilian pantheon amuses himself by granting divine
    powers to the Sons of the Serpent. That seems to be the most boring
    solution, but I think Belinik would fit the bill nicely. He is chaotic evil
    and may have decided to do this on a chaotic whim. In addition, the
    uncertainty that this unknown power generates among the Serpent`s enemies
    (and potential victims) may alone be enough to instill them with fear and
    terror, thus furthering Belinik`s cause.
    >>

In my campaign I use both option 3 and 4, in that the Cold Rider is actually
    granting the Serpent`s worshippers spells. He`s trying to expand his
    powerbase in the Daylight World this way, while keeping a low profile. He is
    after all - or at least in my campaign - the God of Secrets.

- the Falcon

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    Birthright-l Archives: http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.
    NOTE: Messages posted by Birthright-L are automatically inserted posts originating from the mailing list linked to the forum.

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Birthright-L

3. Another god of the Cerilian pantheon amuses himself by granting divine powers to the Sons of the Serpent. That seems to be the most boring solution, but I think Belinik would fit the bill nicely. He is chaotic evil and may have decided to do this on a chaotic whim. In addition, the uncertainty that this unknown power generates among the Serpent`s enemies (and potential victims) may alone be enough to instill them with fear and terror, thus furthering Belinik`s cause.
    I can think of a very simple, and quite logical reason why Belinik would do this (and not boring at all). Belinik is the god of battle and terror, but he is also the patron of the vos people. He would like to see them and their way of life succeed, and to succeed they need to expand. Any expansion would most likely be into Khinasi, so Belinik needs the Khinasi weakened and open for invasion by his followers. Strengthening the serpent by providing spells to his worshippers weakens the khinasi significantly and already the serpent's followers are reaching the khinasi mainland. After a few more years, they will weaken the khinasi heartland, undermine their leaders and corrupt their people, then Belinik will be ready to strike. Belinik will forge a great and powerful leader amoung the scattered vos lands, who will form into an alliance under this champions leadership and they will sweep down into khinasi, driving all before them, including the followers of the serpent who have been their unwitting allies. Belinik will withdraw his divine support from the serpent, whose priests will suddenly lose their power and the vos will conquer the heartland of the khinasi.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Thread Information