Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    According to the rules in the boxed set:

Administration: A character skilled in administration understands the workings of the apparatus of government and the governmental heirarchy. Versed in the responsibilities of the various arms and offices of his land, the character knows which officals can get things done. A regent character can, on a successful proficiency check, reduce his maintenance costs by 25% (rounded down) every domain turn. With a successful check, he can also use this skill to reduce the base Gold Bar cost of any domain action by 1.

My question is: Does this mean that the player can reduce the costs of maintaining military units or only the costs associated with the maintenance of their provinces and holdings?
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your phrasing of the question makes the choices irrelevent. It is not a yes-no question it is an either or question. Therefore I voted "I voted". I would say that it lowers the costs of military also because it is your administrative costs. You are good at cutting the cost of supplying your units.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    okay clarrification:
    -Vote yes if the player can reduce the costs of maintaining military units
    -Vote No if only the costs associated with the maintenance of their provinces and holdings
    Lawgiver

Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted 'No' because although I agree that logically military costs could perhaps be reduced by good administration, any would be conqueror would rush to take the skill and therefore make it a 'must have'. I think that the benefits of having a stable economy and efficient civil servants should be enough to make the skill worthwhile (and it still saves money for the army). It is a civilian oriented skill more than a militarily oriented one.
    Perhaps a separate skill (or feat?) could be devised to reduce military costs, by inspiring the troops and encouraging them to fight for god, king and/or country. Most great military commanders who could raise great armies do not seem to my eyes to have been great administrators, just great leaders of men.
    Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said: `one CAN'T believe impossible things.'
    `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast'

-- "Through the Looking Glass", Lewis Caroll

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree fully Perhelion.By having the Administration skill,you save money on the civilian-side,which means more GB's for new units,upgrades,fortifications,roads,etc.,etc,etc.....
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sign Xander up for the administration nwp. We all know he needs as much help solving the income v. outgo problem he can get!!;)
    And I looked, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him; and he went out conquering , and to conquer. Rev. 6:2

Downloads
    Uploads
    I fully and completely disagree with Perhelion, the military in most countries are very big into administration, more so than in the civillian world. Believe me I've been in both worlds and the military one has the most administration I have ever seen. I think the skill should work within both sections of Domain maintenance, a good military administration roll should be able to streamline units and make them efficient in their spending of their upkeep. Although the U.S. has had some trouble in trying to streamline their own military goes to show that sometimes you fail the roll
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    I limit it to Province and Holding Maintenance only. I view the Military costs as more tied to salaries and food then to administration. You can't budget and limit salaries. Troops don't get paid by the hour. Food is generally fairly rationed to a fixed amount. As far as the cost of maintaining barracks, stables, taining facilities, etc. the labor is free (make the troops do it... ask anyone who has served in the military...). I find it hard to justify a regent being able to save 25% of costs with an administrative roll.
    Lawgiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    The inefficiencies that run in most modern armies should be convincing enough that a good administrator could cut those costs. I still disagree with you Lawgiver!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Modern armies are filled with bureaucracy. Such red tape and logistical chaos wouldn't exist. Additionally Modern armies are SIGNIFICANTLY larger then the number of troops for a realm, even one with an army like Avan. With the smaller realms of 800-1600 troops its a little difficult to 'misplace' or 'misuse' 2,000-8,000 gp. consistently and not find a few commanders lining their pockets.
    Lawgiver

Thread Information