Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The person was refering to the obscure rule which allows source regent to affect the province in which they are by making action like agitate, etc... At very high source level(7+), it even allows the source holder to use his source holding as a guild for the purpose of establishing a trade route and claiming some income. Yep, this rule does exist, though I'm unsure of the location in the rulebook.
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,
    Would-be ruler of you all. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Magian: I have entertained similar ideas and would like to incorporate it. unfortunately I don't hev ethe time or energy to manage all of the extra details. I do however list the cheif imports/exports on realm templates just for teh flavor.

I forgot one key element of basing the trade route on the guild level... IF a there are two guilds a 2 and a 6 its not fair that they spilt the profits 50/50 instead you use a percentage of the total. in this example one gets 25% the other gets 75%.

With regards to the issue on not connecting to a specific guild figure it as half the connecting province level - 1 (to reflect the lack of organization). Trade is a little more organized then loading wagons with goods, shipping them off and waiting for your gold to come back...
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, there is a rule that says that level 7 or above sources act as 0 level guild holdings as far as establishing trade routes are concerned. The Book of Magecraft has details on this particular rule. Note that the 0 level guild doesn't actually exist, just that a level 7 source can be the origination of the trade route(s) in question.
    Quintain

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am just going to scrap the whole idea because that is capitalism and not merchant guild economy which the game is made for. I think I will keep my game in the darker ages.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The early medieval trade economy was based mostly upon commodities. Coins were secondary to the acquisition of materials that were useful in some way. My class on the "Dark" ages emphasised the fact that the main purpose of post-roman trade was to acquire goods that could be given as gifts. Much of the ancient and middle worlds were based on the concept that your power was directly linked to your ability to give gifts. The epic, Beowulf, is seething with evidence to this respect. As the middle ages progressed, the concept of coinage integrated itself further into the european economy. The basis for trade was still based on the ability to provide commodities. As trade became more widespread, guilds appeared to protect the interests of artisans and other providers. The emerging middle class needed some sort of control over trade in order to consistently be able to provide a living for its families.

I doubt this helps any, I've cut out some parts, but its a basic idea. Anyways, I am in support of a more commodity based trade system for birthright. The problem is, the simpler an economy appears on the outside, such as the barter system, the more complex it actually is.

Capitalism, simple.
    Carolingian (Charlemagne) economy, complex.
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do agree that the commodities would be a good addition to the game and I have some ideas that I have presented in this thread on that. It makes for more strategy for the guilder in which I personally thought the book of guildcraft would bring about.

The current game system is simple and does give the opportunity to allow for commodities simply by tagging a product to a specific trade route without making this game and paperwork more difficult to track. The paperwork, on the other hand, can be the fun part if you are into that sort of thing and I don't think it would take much to come up with a commodity based system to suit a campaign.

For the most part I think it would be a lot of work for a disinterested DM to work through a complex trade system, some DMs have enough trouble keeping track of trade routes in their current form. I do however think it would be fun as a guildmaster to orchestrate such a system in a campaign.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ME as a guilder i enjoy the pleasures of trade routes. They way we do it is that we split the money between the 2 guilds. But also there is a 1 GB cost to ensure the roads are still passable. Call it a construction cost. Now the way i get around this is when i want to trade with another country or province i request with a helthy donation to the king or regent that i am allowed a 1 st level guild so i dont split my trade money with some other guiler. Yes there is some problems with other guilds but the king squashes that with gifts and tribute that i give him.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well done Brownie but I am surprised that this hasn't caused any problems with other Guilders. Not to mention the problems it should cause for the people you are bribing with the Guilders you are undercutting. I wonder if you are DM just hasn't thought of this yet.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    It seems to me that brownie is a serious power gamer with a push over DM. Nothing he's suggested so far suggests a hit of difficulty for his mysterious Black Hand guilds.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember reading that too, I would think it would be in the original Rule book
    Lord Shaene Conlynd
    Regent - United Provinces of Haelyn

Thread Information