Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone ever had a preist/preistess of 2 different gods? for example, a dwarven preistess of Moradin who also serves Haelyn. That describes Emerald. Just wondering if anyone else that has been in this situation has found it difficult to know when to pray/call upon whom. Although Moradin and Haelyn are in the same mythos and essentially have the same goals in mind (just different races), I am sure they are to some degree slightly less forgiving than would be a Preistess of sole faith in the one deity.
    Queen Emerald Greybeard of Baruk Azhik

You wouldn't want to offend a dwarf that hits very hard, would you?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Be aware Emerald that many people will argue that Moradin and his followers would not allow you to worship two gods!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    It should not be possible for a priest to serve two different gods. priestcraft means complete involvement to one specific ethos and god. in all D&D ever published it was never allowed to do it. the kalamar setting has recently invented the possibility to serve an alignement and not a specific god.
    my purpose is now to lead you into the Pallace where you shall have a clear and delightful view of all those various objects, and scattered excellencies, that lye up and down upon the face of creation, which are only seen by those that go down into the Seas, and by no other....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 6:14 PM
    Azrai wrote:
    >
    > It should not be possible for a priest to serve two different gods.
    > priestcraft means complete involvement to one specific ethos and
    > god. in all D&D ever published it was never allowed to do it. the
    > kalamar setting has recently invented the possibility to serve an
    > alignement and not a specific god.

You could serve alignment in 2e according to the Complete Book of Priests.

I would allow worship of two gods if their goals were compatable and they
    were allied. A priest who worshiped Erik and Avani would be acceptable to
    me. One faith in Cerilia already combines the worship of Ruornil and Erik
    I frequently put priests of one god in temples of allied gods. Temples of
    Haelyn use priests of Cuiraecen as heralds.

Kenneth Gauck
    kgauck@mchsi.com

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The explanation for this character is that she is a dwarf who began life believing in Moradin and therefore was a priest of Moradin. However, she was thrust into being an ambassador to the United Provinces of Haelyn from Baruk-Azhik. There she met the Abbess Allesandra who taught her about the greatness of Haelyn. The dwarf saw that both Moradin and Haelyn were great and started praying to them both. To the dwarves she preaches about Moradin and to the humans she preaches about Haelyn spreading the faith of both. She has even gotten some humans interested in Moradin but no dwarfs have shown an interest in Haelyn. In fact many of the dwarves frown on her praying to a human god and think she should lose her thrown.

By the way, all the rules are adaptable to what works for your campaign. So AZRAI doesn't like, then don't allow it to happen in your campaign.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it is possible to be a priest of different gods. I believe in ancient medievil times that people would pray to the earth god for good crops, and the war god for victory in battle. I think modern thinking would not allow this, being raised with the one god only religions, and all others are the devil. Of course that idea was started in the midevil times as well. I also just started a BR campaign using the RuneQuest rules system which seems to be working out quite well, I'm starting the group out in the King of the Giatdowns adventure. In the RQ rules though they allow priests of different gods, as long as they are not in oppositional faiths.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally posted by kgauck
    I would allow worship of two gods if their goals were compatable and they
    were allied. A priest who worshiped Erik and Avani would be acceptable to
    me. One faith in Cerilia already combines the worship of Ruornil and Erik
    I frequently put priests of one god in temples of allied gods. Temples of
    Haelyn use priests of Cuiraecen as heralds.
    This might be, but allied churches doesn't mean the worship of two different gods. A priest of Cuiraécen is a priest of Cuiraécen, even if he accepts Cuiraécens father Haelyn and his mother Nesirie. The priest of Cuiraécen might even accept an order of a Haelyn highpriest, but of respect, not of worship!

The idea of a whole pantheon worship is accepted in several campaigns, but in the Birthright rulebook a priest must coose a specific god! He gets the specific powers of his religion then. If he would worship two different gods, he would be something like a PHB standard cleric without any special powers...
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    @kgauck
    You can not compare anything from the CBoPriests to the Birthright setting. CBoPriests only contained models for specific campaign worlds.

@blitzmacher
    you also cannot compare ancient medievil times to the birthright campaign. it's fantasy, the gods are directly involved.

The Book of Priestcraft clearly shows that a priest can only serve one god and recieve spells from only one god.

there is no!! compaign world ever published that allows to serve two gods (to repeat myself).
    my purpose is now to lead you into the Pallace where you shall have a clear and delightful view of all those various objects, and scattered excellencies, that lye up and down upon the face of creation, which are only seen by those that go down into the Seas, and by no other....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Ariadne

The idea of a whole pantheon worship is accepted in several campaigns, but in the Birthright rulebook a priest must coose a specific god! He gets the specific powers of his religion then. If he would worship two different gods, he would be something like a PHB standard cleric without any special powers...

Again, that all depends on the DM and how he chooses to handle the rules governing his world. It does add an intersting flavor to the storyline though. In alot of good stories, you have someone realizing that there are different paths to be traveled other than the comfortable path that everyone has taken for centuries. If that person is strong willed and determined to bring the world just a little closer together, amazing things can happen. Sometimes it just takes an idea planted in enough peoples ear to get them to try something new. Of course, her theory is that the gods permit this to happen because she is trying to gain more followers for each deity. I'm sure Haelyn would be tickled if she managed to get the entire dwarven nation to, at the very least, acknowledge his power. Emerald believes that if a god is all about having many many followers, then the more the merrier and maybe, just maybe, one day, the humans and dwarves (and maybe those....... elves) can stand side by side and unite to fight the disease of evil that plaques the land. Of course, the dwarves are pretty stubborn, but her father made an alliance with the United Provinces of Haelyn and right now, Baruk Azhik is getting thier butts saved from borrowed forces of the UPofH. So, maybe they will start to see the power of Haelyn and start to gain a little interest.

If you haven't noticed, she's a little passionate about all of this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Azrai

The Book of Priestcraft clearly shows that a priest can only serve one god and recieve spells from only one god.

there is no!! compaign world ever published that allows to serve two gods (to repeat myself).

The DM can allow whatever he chooses into his world. You can't sit there and tell me that he can't. Are the rules police going to break down our groups door and throw Lord Eldred in jail because he chooses to have a little creative flavor in his campaign? I think not. It's not fair to other DM's to sit there and state the rules say this and the rules say that and that they are wrong if they deviate!

RPG's were not designed to be followed to every single letter of the rulebook. It's all foundation to be built on my friend, not concrete rules to be adhered to with no deviation.

Don't forget DM's perrogative. The biggest rule is to have fun! If the campaign is full of interesting elements such as the worship of 2 gods, and the players enjoy it, then great! So be be it!

If you chose not to allow it your world, nobody says you have to.

All I am saying here is don't start spouting out what rulebooks say and implying that it is fundamentally wrong to play the way we do. We enjoy how we play and the houserules we have established and we will continue playing that way.

Thread Information