Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm working on the rules for my game, and recently started designing rules to handle the transformation process into an Awnsheghlien state, whether for a PC or NPC. The way I'm building these rules is to make the transformation similar to the already established rules on bloodlines and the generic guidelines toward the creation of an awnsheghlien. However, my goal is not just to repeat what has been in the rulebook(an awnshegh changes progressively and both his body and mind twist as he grows in power, blah blah blah...), but rather to establish a definite set of rules that acts as both a chart that shows the speed and steps of the transformation, as well as enough guidelines regarding the kind of changes, powers and curse that accompany the transformation. Once I'm done, I intend to post this(as well as my revised rule on Bloodlines in general, which could be of interest to some and serves as the basis for the Awnsheghlien transformation).

To give a preview, here's a few things I'm incorporating into this:
    *A chart similar to the bloodline progression chart, which I call "The Road to Awnshegliendom" and which progresses through time, evil acts, usage of a few powers of the blood, and is ultimately limited by the Bloodform ability(major or great) and the bloodline score.
    *Instead of blood abilities for each category, comes a change(minor, major, great; similar to the blood abilities yet different in their own way).
    *Possible changes and their effects will be detailed as well.
    *The taint of Azrai; or how a non-Azrai scion can be transformed into a scion of Azrai or even an awnshegh(Yeah, I really don't like the crappy oversimplified rules they made in the Book of Regency)
    *Examples of how those rules would work for already established awnsheghlien(hopefully this part works, lol :P)

Now, as far as I'm aware, there's never been any sort of definite rules established for dealing with awnsheghlien transformation(and I know from having read the mailing list years ago, and this website for quite a while, that it is still a headache for many DMs, including me). Has there been?

Before I complete this, I'm looking for ideas and comments from those interested on related topics. What would you think could hasten or slow down the transformation process? How much power do you think an awnshegh garners through the transformation? How to handle the psychological elements of the transformation? What kind of changes would an awnshegh possibly go through during his transformation? What else would you people like to see in this? etc...

If you're interested in this, please reply and post your ideas and comments. Anything is useful :)
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,
    Would-be ruler of you all. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think there sould be a "general" way to define the road to an awnsheglien-form.

The source-books clearly point out that the process is individual and dependant of the character of the changeling.
    my purpose is now to lead you into the Pallace where you shall have a clear and delightful view of all those various objects, and scattered excellencies, that lye up and down upon the face of creation, which are only seen by those that go down into the Seas, and by no other....

Downloads
    Uploads
    The transformation process *is* an individual thing, I believe we can all agree to that. I'm not trying to do a 'randomize your awnsheghlien' kind of rules, this isn't the point. But even once you agree that each awnsheghlien is unique; they all have some things in common: their body changes, so does their mind, they gain power, but also sometimes weaknesses or curses; and all in all, its not something that happens instantly, unless some unfortunate sod has fun bloodthefting awnsheghlien. All I'm trying to do is say: this is how it happens and why, and this is what can happen, now have fun. Sorry if I made it sound this way, but I'm not trying to rob a DM of his creativity: just trying to provide tools and advice to simplify the process.
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 04:48 PM 7/23/2002 +0200, Temujin wrote:

> The transformation process *is* an individual thing, I believe we can
    > all agree to that. I`m not trying to do a `randomize your
    > awnsheghlien` kind of rules, this isn`t the point. But even once you
    > agree that each awnsheghlien is unique; they all have some things in
    > common: their body changes, so does their mind, they gain power, but
    > also sometimes weaknesses or curses; and all in all, its not something
    > that happens instantly, unless some unfortunate sod has fun bloodthefting
    > awnsheghlien. All I`m trying to do is say: this is how it happens and
    > why, and this is what can happen, now have fun.

I think the best way to handle this is for awsheghlien to be handled as a
    sort of open ended template with in which characters who level up go
    through a percentage of transformation and gain abilities based on that
    percentage. 1-2 levels/HD = 10%. 3-4 = 20%, etc. At 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%
    and 100% they might get a power, BAB bonus, increased damage, whatever was
    appropriate to the nature of their transformation. At 30% 50% and 70% they
    might get some sort of negative effect that is also appropriate to their
    transformation.

Ershegh, on the other hand, is a voluntary transformation, so it should be
    a prestige class with 10 standard levels, each one representing 10% of the
    change the character is going to go through. Powers and penalties would be
    assessed at the same approximate percentages of transformation as for the
    awnsheghlien template.

Having awnsheghlien use a template while ersheghlien use a prestige class,
    of course, gives an "advantage" to awnsheghlien since they can level up in
    any class, while ershegh must use levels to enter into a particular class,
    but that`s kind of the point. Being an awnsheghlien gives a character a
    slightly more poweful progression, but is involuntary and
    inevitable. Ersheghlien as a prestige class makes that process voluntary.

Gary

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by geeman
    I think the best way to handle this is for awsheghlien to be handled as a sort of open ended template with in which characters who level up go through a percentage of transformation and gain abilities based on that percentage. 1-2 levels/HD = 10%. 3-4 = 20%, etc. At 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% and 100% they might get a power, BAB bonus, increased damage, whatever was appropriate to the nature of their transformation. At 30% 50% and 70% they might get some sort of negative effect that is also appropriate to their
    transformation.

Ershegh, on the other hand, is a voluntary transformation, so it should be a prestige class with 10 standard levels, each one representing 10% of the change the character is going to go through. Powers and penalties would be assessed at the same approximate percentages of transformation as for the
    awnsheghlien template.

Having awnsheghlien use a template while ersheghlien use a prestige class, of course, gives an "advantage" to awnsheghlien since they can level up in any class, while ershegh must use levels to enter into a particular class, but that`s kind of the point. Being an awnsheghlien gives a character a slightly more poweful progression, but is involuntary and inevitable. Ersheghlien as a prestige class makes that process voluntary.

Gary
    The idea of a template is not a bad one, but the question is: Why should the awnsheghlien progress as the character levels? I have problems believing that one. Awnsheghlien transformation has nothing to do with gaining xp... it has to do with how you use your blood abilities(certain ones anyway), how evil and twisted you are and how often you bloodtheft people. I do also agree that awnsheghlien gives you more power for your buck than an ersheghlien can gain, and that it is more involuntary. Inevitable? Well, yeah nearly. If you're a saint though, you might make it through without transforming. I like your idea of making an ershegh gain xp to progress in his transformation since its a voluntary path that takes time and dedication, but I really don't think awnsheghliens should be handled that way. It has more to do with how the character behaves and thinks like than how often he goes out adventuring.
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by geeman

Ershegh, on the other hand, is a voluntary transformation, so it should be
    a prestige class with 10 standard levels, each one representing 10% of the
    change the character is going to go through. Powers and penalties would be
    assessed at the same approximate percentages of transformation as for the
    awnsheghlien template.
    Not a too bad idea, but I think you shouldn't give an Ersheglien a too hard disadvantage. You must think, Ersheglien are mistrusted by commoners, because they are misunderstanded as Awnsheglien sometimes! To give a prestige class would give an Ersheglien a only greater disadvantage! So give a template to an Ershegh too (may be with a harder requirement, but to role "bloodtrait" is a hard requirement enough)!

By the way, a 10 level prestige class would stop a ersheglien transformation very fast (to compare with an Awnshegh). That would mean, an Ershegh is always weaker than an Awnshegh! In my oppinion a powerfull Ersheglien should be equal a powerfull Awnsheglien to hold the balance...
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Thread Information