Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Domain Actions

Downloads
    Uploads
    Partial Investiture: Through this domain action a Regent may invest a trusted lieutenant with a partial amount of his bloodline. In this way the lieutenant could either be groomed to take over for the regent in the future or take on holdings in deference to regent. It would also allow lieutenants to perform domain actions in the Regent's absence. Just another wacky idea I had.

Leland

Downloads
    Uploads
    In our campaign, Lieutenants can do one domain action a turn. I know that in the computer version of the game it also allowed that...would this allow them to do more?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I better rethink this domain action. The idea I had was that the lieutenant could rule in the absence of the regent or even be under a hidden regent like in a puppet regime.

Leland

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure many regents would be willing to spare their bloodline... and they'd lose the poetential to gain more RP from their holdings as well. They'd really have to trust their lieutenants before they divested themselves of some of their bloodline!
    In any case, it would make them vassals more than lieutenants no?
    Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said: `one CAN'T believe impossible things.'
    `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast'

-- "Through the Looking Glass", Lewis Caroll

Downloads
    Uploads
    Leland, I thought that that what Lieutenants were for...leading while you are away. They already have some ability to take action but since you are away they are not able to run things perfectly giving the incentive and reality that regents should never stray too far from home. It also adds to the game by having your regent come home to a mess!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I missed something here. How does one run a realm without a bloodline? Also do lieutenants collect RP? To be honest I love the Birthright setting but have played very little. I tried to DM a PBEM and a table top game but somehow the role-playing got bogged down in the mechanics of the Domain Turn.

Leland

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have actually expanded upon the Lt. rules in my campaign. According to the computer game version only 1 Lt. may perform an action per Domain Turn regardless of how many Lt. you had. In my campaign I allow each Lt. (whether they have 1 or 10) to perform 1 Domain action per Domain Turn. (i.e. 5 Lt. could perfrom 5 Domain actions) Generally my players have not been able stock pile masses of GBs and RPs to abuse this privelage.:P If your players do try to start taking advantage of lt. one solution is the enforcement of salaries or Build actions. If the PCs have to pay for their Lt. or provide/build homes for their retainers they may trim down their staff a little. A regent should not be expected to do everything alone, but they shouldn't be able to create a mega-domain in a matter of turns. As the domain expands so will its income and resources. At this point the regent should be able to afford more lt. If you are a cruel DM you could always thin out the Lt ranks through assassination, corruption, etc. In-fightinf between Lt. could force some to leave or deul to the death between Lt. Once people realize that Lt. don't last under the regent's command applicants may dwindle... The PC will think twice before abusing the privelage.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lawgiver has a great way to meet Leland's desire while at the same time preventing Lt. from getting out of control. I also like how Lt. can only perform one action but multiple Lt. provides for multiple actions. It makes sense. Regents are supposed to be more talented than the Lt.s thus they can perform three actions. To replace the Regent you have to have three Lt.s ;)
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also agree with the you-got-more-lieutenant-you-can-perform-more-actions approach. I used to limit it this way in my game though:

Any one of your lieutenants may use any domain actions once per turn. The others are limited to free actions and character actions(exception made of hiring a lieutenant). Why bother with the free action? This allows a thief lieutenant to perform a free espionage action once per turn for his lord for example, etc... This worked pretty well, is actually accurate in the rules iirc, and prevents the tactic of having half a dozen lieutenant to create half a dozen new holdings each turn, using your own actions to rule/contest. If my PCs wanted more actions, well, they had to get a vassal(and so hand over a part of their realm and income doing so).
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,
    Would-be ruler of you all. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why didn't anyone answer my questions?

Leland

Thread Information