Perhaps, but those few words left me with the impression that the LE
    character was a relativist who might define goodness in terms of what
    pleased him

Saturday, June 29, 2002 11:41 AM
    > The LE character would not believe that he is evil, and would
    > worship Haelyn as the God of Justice, and do his best to uphold
    > justice.

I affirm that such a character would in fact believe that he is evil, but
    evil by neccesity, not for himself, but for the community, puting the lawful
    in his evil. The more conventional definition of lawful evil "dominator" is
    self serving. The character I described is self sacrificing, perhaps even
    self-loathing. Kant asked if you could generalize an action into a general
    rule, you could call it moral. Clearly such a character as I described
    would not want society run on the basis upon which he acts. He knows that
    he does evil and wants to protect the community from even knowing what he
    does.

Kenneth Gauck
    kgauck@mchsi.com

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my campaign for example, we have a person who is not the prototypical follower of Haelyn that Haelyn calls on to do work that he knows none of his goody two shoes followers would do. While he is not evil, he could be. He is the example of why an evil follower may be kept around by a God.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    >Perhaps, but those few words left me with the impression >that the LE
    >character was a relativist who might define goodness in >terms of what
    >pleased him

Yes, that too. I left my comment open as I did, because their are many different ways that an evil character may justify their actions. They may not believe that they are evil, and what they are doing is good. Their perception of good and evil may be completely different to actuality, ie insane, or left or right wing activist type beliefs. There are probably even more ways then my limited intelligence could possibly think of. thats what makes for twisted plots, and RPG's fun, variety. :)
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps they don't know if the do evil, but I think there god does and it is on the gods turn to grant them spells...

An other point is that (especially at Cuiraécens church) serveral priests will turn on each other. A CG priest won't get along very well with a CE. May be they attack each other by sight! Isn't it good (for the god) to let there priests communicate in peace without slaying each other?
    (I don't think he can stop them very well, if his doctrine is to protect the weak and to destroy evil!)
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    why would Cuiraecen want to stop his two churches that are fighting against each other, not to mention that I doubt the priests even if they are evil against good would fight each other. There is something called loyalty, and since they are both loyal to a greater cause, they would control themselves. I doubt they would even hate each other or care about the different alignment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    >why would Cuiraecen want to stop his two churches that are >fighting against each other, not to mention that I doubt the >priests even if they are evil against good would fight each >other. There is something called loyalty, and since they are >both loyal to a greater cause, they would control >themselves. I doubt they would even hate each other or >care about the different alignment.

I doubt different churches of the same god would commit to open combat, it isn't good business for either church to kill off their tythers(spelling?) in support of the same god. Being loyal to the same god but different ways of going about serving their god is why the are different factions of the same god. Their way of combat has been to get the most supporters for their church as they can, ruling and create holding, while disclaiming the other beliefs, Contesting.
    I do think they can and do hate each other, even if they are of the same alignment, call it a personality conflict. Especially when their beliefs are different.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    May I remind you that the Impregnable Heart broke off because of political reasons and that they would go to open war at the side of Roesone against Diemed and the OIT, any day? May I also remind you that NIT is considered a heressy by the OIT and that its founder was actually arrested?

The different churches would go to war any day. the one perceives the other as a heretic and that means that in the name of purity, the opponent church must be eliminated.

I do believe that if things are going to escalate between churches a full scale religious war is not unheard of.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you recall any full scale war between the two, I don't. Just because they could and might doesn't mean they have or will. I do believe a full scale religous war is possible, but I do believe many other means would be used before that would happen. I also doubt many landed regents would like to have a religous war tearing apart their domain.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hm, well, I was more inclined to think that the religious war would be a side war to an actual war :)

anyways, it is just my opinion ;)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't mean to say that couln't happen. In fact an ambitious regent may try to support such a side war if only to bring more support to themselves. Even more so if the church in his realm has more troops and wealth than the church in the oppositions realm. I'm just not very good at articulating what I mean. lol
    HAVAMAL

Thread Information