Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Charlie Green’s Dancing Shield (Buckler +1 , Animated shield) Cost : 9000 gp

Description : A small steel buckler with several wizard runes on the back. It does have straps on the back but only for fastening purposes.

History : Charlie Green is a well known Bard in the southern lands of Anuire who wanted some armor or shield that did not bothered him while he played. So he went to a Kinashi wizard and paid a huge amount of money to have a floating shield. Sar’as the Kinashi wizard made several “improvements” to the shield. These improvement can be seen as a curse for the shield only works when the bearer sings a song or plays a musical instrument.

Power : The Animated shield will stop functioning the moment the users stops singing of playing and can only be activated the following round. If the character is hit he/she must make a Perform check DC10+damage taken.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Charlie Green's Dancing Shield
    So this shield floats in the air. Does it move around and protect you while it is floating? SO that you have two free hands to use during combat? Thus can I use my two handed weapons but still be protected by a shield? Is the +1 only in effect while you are singing or playing an instrument? Do I have to be a Bard to use it? Any suggestions on how I would simulate the need for singing during play? Do I role to see if when attacked the user of the shield remembers to continue to sing?

Otherwise I love the concept of needing to sing for the shield to work!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    hehe forgot to log in ;) the above post is mine :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    So there is no AC bonus for the shield, it is just available when needed?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do note that under 3rd edition rules, shields normally give AC bonus, but the largest(body shield type) also provides cover. This one doesn't provide cover, but that doesn't mean it doesn't protect you from blows.
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,
    Would-be ruler of you all. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is correct. Holding something in front of you can give a coverbonus. Like a wooden door or a fellow party member. This shield will not provide cover only an AC bonus of 2 (ie +1 from shield +1 magic).

Offcourse if they made it a body shield all rules of the body shield are in effect and then the shield would give the user a cover bonus of +8 (i think). You should reconsider that when making the shield bigger because it totaly negates the negative site of a body or tower shield.

Note : This shield is made for 3rd edition.

~dmferry

Downloads
    Uploads
    So the shield does move to intercept blows but doesn't provide a cover bonus. If it doesn't move to intercept blows I can't see how it gives you an AC bonus. The rules assume the user of shield is going to block shots with it. If not then only the one side of the body that is covered by the shield would get the AC bonus.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    In 3rd edition it doesn't say if a shield can block 1 attack or more or if the attack is from ranged or melee. I don't have a phb at hand but they don't mention it (I think). Using a shield gives an AC bonus and only the towershield would give cover.

I will change the item to reflect the rules better.

~dmferry

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use shields a little different. All shields give a -1 to AC, except body shield, which provide a -2 (along with a -1 to hit penalty for the weilder do to bulkiness). They effect Missle armor class a little different.

Shields provide a different bonus vs. missiles, which I believe is similar to the cover bonus in 3e.

Missile defenses (...not the U.S. government program)
    Bucklers -1
    Small Shield -2
    Medium Shield -3
    Large/Body Shield -4

I also use some rules I think came from the skills and powers (which I don't own, so I can't verify this). Shields are only useful in melee combat if the PC uses them. To help reflect the ability of shields to effect only a portion of defense there is a maximum number of attacks they can be used to defend.
    #of attacks the bonus applies to:
    Bucklers 1
    Small Shield 2
    Medium Shield 3
    Large/Body Shield 4

As far as Charlie Green's Dancing shield... What about an option that improves the AC the louder you sing. ;)
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    or more AC when you perform better...higher DC's ;)

and becomes a cursed item if you can't sing or perform...:P

Thread Information