Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I stand with you PCyric, unfortunately, having been a FR campaign dm for years(and still being on occasion) and owning tons of FR material, I can tell you that resurrections are quite common for the wealthy and high-level bunch. Especially high-level mages tend to have this easy. For example, Elminster and his special contingency spell that combines spells such as heal, regeneration, resurrection, restoration, transform stone to flesh, etc... Other wizards have their hidden clone labs, others simply get raised whenever they get killed. And trust me, it isn't tough to find a high-level cleric who has the power to resurrect, especially in large cities like say, Waterdeep. I've seen the bio of a wizard who held the official record for the highest number of resurrection in career, twas a good dozen iirc. So, while even FR doesn't allow unlimited resurrection, its not tough to get as many resurrection as your constitution will allow provided someone can retrieve your body and you have enough spare cash. FR's a great world, but...... sometimes the high magic level gives me headaches.
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,
    Would-be ruler of you all. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    The non-sensically high level magic in FR makes me sick to my stomach. I never played with the plethora of 20th+ level mages they suggested.

I hate elminister more than them all... simply out of spite. Hes to arrogant and 'undefeatable' which makes me want to destroy him all the more... er.. sorry, got a little Dr. Jekyl there for a second..
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I couldn't agree more with you guys. I have experienced the painful feeling when a PC sais "Oh man, I died. What the "Abyss", I just need a resurrection", and I decided I would have to do something with it. So I decided (after a painful 5 years experince with high level magic campaigns, that either I would never play with high level players again. So, in the last 5 years I am DMing in FR, I never allowed someone to create a character with more than 5 levels of experience, as my belief was that he had to "built" on his character. Thus the players never had resurrection, and they had to find someone who would do the job for them. Even though in FR there are many who could do it, not even one would resurrect them without having something in mind. Most of the times, it was a nasty thing (imagine a cleric of Cyric (/ follower of Kriesha in BR) doing this favour for the PC's).
    Lately I have made a home rule, that resurrection is a stand alone spell, and it would have to be given by the gods to their clergy, as a gift, or more often a spell that would suit their purpose (a kind of miracle - 2nd edition). From that day on it never got in the list of "general" divine spells in my campaign. I didn't really bother that in the 3rd edition PHB the spell is given to the 13th level cleric as a general spell. When it comes to equality and common sense, none can tell the DM what to do. So I guess that in many cases, we have to disregard the rules that have been given to us, either by TSR or by WotC, and follow our own thoughts on a specific matter. Playtesting will show if it works or not, and in the 10 years that I have been role-playing, I found out that the DM rarely makes mistakes.
    So, don't follow the rules by letter. When you think that someting is too powerful or unbalancing, simply change it or just don't accept it. If resurrection just pisses you off, and you can't stand it any more, just don't accept it, or find ways/rules to limit it.
    With respect to the fellow DM's in pain...
    Gods never die, but they are always born...

Downloads
    Uploads
    This stuff definitely is getting into DM specific controlled areas. Resurection and abyss? When you die in my campaign, sorry no resurection or after life.

Just eternal servitude to the Magian in an undead state, MUHAHAHAHA MUHAHAHAHA MUHAHAHAHA!!!
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought you were powerful Magian.... I mean all you can do is make a body walk, but you can't give it life.
    Lawgiver

Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If Resurrection were common, wouldn't there probably still be an Imperial Roele line? I forget if Raesene took Michael's body but with today's cloning techniques, a new one could arise. :P
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Downloads
    Uploads
    Resurrection is quite rare in my campaign. However, keeping people from actually being dead in the first place is not. Thank Haelyn for the Clerics and their healing powers.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Birthright Developer Raesene Andu's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I dislike making raise dead/ressurrection spells available at all. But once the book of priestcraft came out, I altered my position somewhat. Now I allow ressurection of dead scions, but once they return, they do not return with their bloodline, it is lost for good.

The reasoning behind this, is that when the regent dies, his bloodline is passed on, either going to his heir, or being absorbed by the land itself. Then when the ressurection spell is cast, the regent is restored the life, but his bloodline is no longer within his body and is lost to him. He can, of course, gain another bloodline through bloodtheft or investiture, but his original bloodline is forever lost.

Also, I have recently been ruling that when a character is ressurrected, there is a chance that instead of the his true soul returning, an undead creature called a Blood Shade takes its place and the regent is restored to life an appear to be normal, but is in fact an undead monster.
    Let me claim your Birthright!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have actually yet to have a PC resurrected in a campaign. They tend to die and stay dead. Most of the time the problem isn't the PC its the player's desire to switch PCs or the death of the campaign. But I would agree with Raesene statements on the dead scions (except the funky Blood Shade thing...)
    Lawgiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    you know i guess i dont powergame enough. i have never resurected anyone. though i was contemplating raising dead an enemy of theirs. most people die before they get high enough to do it.
    "...killing fellow humans carries a psycological cost, elves however..."

Thread Information