Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Now while this is a post just to get the message board rolling - it is more than halfway serious.

Half-elves have a separate race -- why is that? Do they form a unique genetic code? -- unlikely. Are they so unusual as to require special rules? - not so in fact their rules are very similar to that of full elves. Are they so common as to merit generalization? -- also not true, they are supposed to be very rare. And in BR, why do elf-human hybrids get a look-in when the Brecht-Rjurik, or Vos-Khinasi don't? In fact, forget BR, I can't see any good justification for even having a separate race for any half-breeds.

Any single child will not be half and half -- they will ALWAYS favour one or the other parent, if only by a small margin. So much for nature, (even that of a fantastic bent) - on to nurture. A child's upbringing is far more likely to influence their adult behaviour than their genetics -- even a fully human child brought up in a elven culture would take on many elven traits. In BR, while a child with one elf parent is far less likely to be brought up in a human society than in an elven society, an isolated human parent (I'm considering single parent children here - a human elf pairing would almost certainly be found in an elven community) could be brought up as almost entirely human. (Such a child would have almost no way of learning any of the elven abilities).

Of course the role-playing stigma of being a half-breed will still exist for such, regardless of them being half-elf or Brecht/Anuirean, but any half-breed should for all practical terms be considered as wholly one or the other race (there is sufficient variation within races to account for the differences).

:)

comments? discussion?

Hey Arjan - how do you attach polls?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why half-elf? Why isn't it called half-human? And if there is going to be half-elf, why is there not half-dwarf? Are humans able to reproduce with elves but not dwarves? And while we are on the subject, what happens in the rare occasion that a dwarf and elf get it on? What do you call it then?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well a Brecht/Anuirean would still be a full human, they're just bred from two different cultures... each with different traits of course, but still human...

A Half-Elf is bred from two completely different races... And if you combined the genetic codes of each, they end up as a different race, not fully belonging too either race, and that alone is reason enough for them too be listed as a seperate race...

As for the name, Half-Elf sounds better then Half-Human. I doubt a Dwarf could mate with an elf... maybe a human... but you'd probably just call it a Half Dwarf... Human seems to be treated as the standard race in most respects.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since elves in Cerilia can live forever, unless killed of course, how long do half-elves live?
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Half of forever ;)
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone found when playing with someone who is half-elf that the half they
    were not raised around is completely forgotten or dismissed?
    Abbess Allessandra
    from the United Provinces of Haelyn
    "On your knees...to pray!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, in fact I have noticed that at least once. We have two half-elves in our campaign. One does not favor either side and the other pretended he was just an elf. It didn't surprise me however because he was also multiclass fighter magicuser and he pretended the fighter side of him never existed. However, why am I telling you all of this? My Lady Allessandra you already know!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are those of use who are above race. For one reason or another. As a human/elf I have experienced prejudice from both humans and elves so my feelings toward both are relatively apathetic. I do have a sense of duty toward my queen of Arenwe, but as a member of the council of the UPofH I also have a duty to uphold the laws and provide for the common defence. I guess I don't think of myself as human or elven. I think of myself only as Chioran, one small individual who has the privilege and responsibilty of being a regent in the UPofH. Having been a target of prejudice throughout my life I shun no one based on race. As an elven-human I do not consider myself an abomination, merely an unfortunate outcome of a fleeting love.
    This is an adventure dammit! I expect to be rewarded for acts of homicide!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If only all people on Earth thought like you, the planet would be a better place.

Chioran, you are the one I was refering to when I said you don't seem to favor either. It is Councilor now Lord Xerath that I was indicating acted as if he did not have any human in him.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Mike Cod
    When I first read Birthright I was pleased to see that the Sidhelien had a poor view of humans, after all it was the humans who pushed the elves back into the forests and allowed the goblins to reconquer parts of Cerilia.
    I see the Sidhelien similar to the Melnibone of Michael Moorcocks' Stormbringer stories. A proud and ancient race that ruled the continents for 10,000yrs and lost power to the upstart human kingdoms. The Melnibonean's despise their enemies and see themselves above other races (except for Elric of course who brought about the destuction of his people).
    Xenophobic and dangerous.
    Sound familiar?

I prefer to call them Sidhelien as the word elf brings thoughts of farie dust and giddyness and does not do the Cerilian Sidhelien justice.

Thread Information