Thread: New Feats

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok here is another Feat idea I had. This one would involve someone who either has Elven Ancestry or have an elf befriend them and teach them a little true magic.
    Greater Magician: Prereqs: 8th level, Elf Friend feat, (maybe Elven Ancestry) This feat permits a Magician character to learn and cast 1 additional school of magic beyond the 3rd level. This is in addition to the schools of illusion and divination they already know. In addition, if the magician should lose elf-friend status, he will begin to lose the knowledge he gained due to the mentor's obligation NOT to teach him/her any longer.

Thoughts, opinions?

Leland

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sometimes I wonder if people just don't get this far down on the birthright board and thus are not responding to your ideas Leland. :P

I am a little confused why you would choose elf friend as the prereq instead of elven ancestry. Unless your argument is that the ability to cast in another school is due to the training you gained from the elves. If you want the ability to come from some element within your being then you should require elven ancestry first.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess my reluctance to add Elven Ancestry to the prereq was because my intention was for a Greater Magician to actually learn magic rather than inherit it. I still think that if one has Elven Ancestry there capacity to learn true magic is far greater than a common magician. I guess I am still biased toward my interpretation of Elven Ancestry because I want to have commoners as players rather than Scions. I think it would be much more challenging for commoners having to deal with scions and don't want to limit the maic capacity of commoners too much. Anyway the reason I said maybe Elven Ancestry was to leave it up to the individual's tastes. Many see ideas like this and think of them as set in stone. So this is why I wrote it this way. I find it interesting that not many people are putting feat ideas in this forum. Surely people have a lot of good ideas.

Leland

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
    Sometimes I wonder if people just don't get this far down on the birthright board and thus are not responding to your ideas Leland. :P
    Nah. I just abstained to avoid getting the verbal thrashing you received from Leland. ;)

I like the idea of the feat, but I'd almost favor lowering the level preq. to 4 or 5. I would probably still keep the Elf Friend preq. since its bestowed on you by the DM and doesn't waste a slot. I doubt you'd get access to the elven magic if you weren't an ally...
    I wouldn't think that you would "begin to lose the knowledge he gained due to the mentor's obligation NOT to teach him/her any longer., but I would definately restrict learning new spells in the new school due to the absence of a teacher (unless the PC researched and created a new one on their own). The spells already learned and copied in the PCs spell book wouldn't just suddenly start to fade from the pages or the PCs memory...

Can you take this feat multiple times?
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lawgiver actually has an opinion on a 3rd edition topic! :P
    Does this mean that you have ended the boycott on new products? ;)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Strahd
    Lawgiver actually has an opinion on a 3rd edition topic! :P Does this mean that you have ended the boycott on new products? ;)
    Where have you been? wandering in the mists of Ravenloft?
    Alas I have seen the light... The boycott was lifted with the coming of the New Year. I descided it is time to put aside petty grudges and embrace change.
    [Plus I found some money I didn't know I had in a Paypal account and figured what the heck I might as use it for something I didn't plan on buying! I now have both the PHB and DMG... purchased at a lovely discount on ebay! I paid 25 for both and they are in mint condition!!]
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lawgiver
    Where have you been? wandering in the mists of Ravenloft?
    Alas I have seen the light...
    I 've been wandering in the mists for a while (reading the 3rd edition of Ravenloft!), then I decided to DM Brechtur for the Shadow of the Blood, and have been a little occupied.
    Only yesterday I noticed your reply on the "Dexterity vs Strength" reply, and learnt that you were enlightened. I hope you find the new system as good as I do.

Thread Information