Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

How much does a regent know?

Does a regent know the how many holdings, and which levels, other regents have in the same province? And in adjacent provinces?

Downloads
    Uploads
    in my campaigns, the regent know what he has a foot on, meaning as long as he have a holding or own the province, he knows what is inside the province : level, fortification, ownership etc...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd expect that they know what holdings there are, and can hazard a guess at who controls most of them, but it would, in my view, take an espionage action to see who the holding truly answers to - a lot of 'non regent' law holdings for example probably represent subversion or diversion of the regent's legal due.

Where the other regent is trying to be discreet, or there is a vassalage chain to be uncovered, it might take several espionage actions to uncover the ownership chain.

I'd exclude source holdings from that concept though - unless the regent is off with the fairies I wouldn't expect them to have any idea of the source holdings present.

Downloads
    Uploads
    indeed my main issue is with Sources

Would a True Wizard regent know who controls Sources in a province adjacent to his own?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Delazar View Post
    indeed my main issue is with Sources

Would a True Wizard regent know who controls Sources in a province adjacent to his own?
    While by rules I believe they do, I think it is something that should have to be found. UNLESS they do something like contest or cast a realm spell. Then I would say they blow their cover.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, I'm not sure why anyone would automatically know holdings in a neighbouring province.

That said, a law holder would inevitably have some contact with customs agents, sheriffs, etc, guilders would trade with/compete with rivals, etc, etc so there would definitely be knowledge that there was a presence, probably a reasonably accurate name, and at least some idea of structure, even if the true power structure was fairly opaque.

It depends a lot on what a source holding is. I like to think of a source holding to include hundreds, possibly thousands, of fairies, spirits, semi-awakened trees and rocks, etc, etc. To me a wizard is not some solitary figure who mediates alone - although that is part of them, rather they are the focus of a faerie court with a multitude of retainers who bring them information, aid them in shaping the flow of mebhaighl, exert their will, etc, etc. My view in this is shaped heavily by Katherine Kerr's Deverry I must admit.

Under that sort of perspective at least some knowledge of neighbouring sources is a given ("stuck-up lot them red forest pixies are sire, treat us like dirt they do - but a fine source of nectar for the quick-witted and swift fingered! Protected by some sidhe woman they say...")

If however you do use the hermit-approach for wizards, with sources non-sentient poolings of mebhaighl tappped by the quietly meditating wizard, etc, etc then the wizard may not know anything of any source holdings other than their own - even within the same provinces.
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 10-17-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like this "Deverry" approach, consider it stolen!

My main issue is that a PC is about to start a Source (0) in a region adjacent to his main Source, and that region's Source is actually fully "taken" by an enemy wizard.

So, I don't want him to look at me and say "What?! You should have told me all slots were already taken!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    meh, its one lousy action they've wasted tops, hardly something to cry over... I'd note that barring a recent death most holdings of any description should be taken, fought over, or problematic for some reason - free lunch does lie around unclaimed for long.

If the other wizard is secretive then you could make an adventure out of discovering who they are - the local fey refuse to talk to your gnomes, "they seem scared/busy sir - you'll have to investigate yourself or find one willing to talk, they won't listen to the likes of us you see..."

Downloads
    Uploads
    My personal rule is:

Province ruler knows all holding owners and levels in the province except Source holdings.
    Non-Source Holding owner knows all other holding owners and levels in the same province except Source holdings.
    Source holding owner knows all other holding owners and levels in the same province.

I guess it would be more realistic for Source holding owners to be unaware of non-Source holding levels but it would require an easy way to discover the information to be added to the rules.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rule I use with my players is that if they are the province ruler they know the different holding parties but necessary their level (espionage will uncover this). For regent that only have holdings I let them know the different holding rulers but once again not necessarily their level (espionage once again). In provinces close by or adjacent I let them know if there are any free holding levels but unless they have done espionage they do not know who control what in those provinces. They always know if there are any free holdings in provinces that they have a holding of the same type.

Some exampes of info I give my players might be that the Temple of Haelyn controls most, some or all of the temple holdings in a province in which they are a ruler.

For source regents I usually tell them available free source holdings within quite a large area (if there are any). They usually do not know who controls what in the province but they might have knowledge that another wizard is known to call certain lands eg. Mhoried home.

Thread Information