Threaded View

Osoerde: Moergen's Claim (Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance scenario)

My super-duper gaming PC decided to give up the ghost. Dead. Stuck with a rig that can't run any fancy modern games, I decided to revisit an old favourite of mine:

Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance.

I quickly tried to scavenge for patches and files, as they appear to be getting more and more scarce on the internet.
    Then I found this place. I was happily surprised to see that you have preserved the official Sierra patches, the character editor and the scenario editor. All of which work fine on my system.

Mucking about with these I decided to take a look at a realm that had always intrigued me... Osoerde. The names, places, marshy location, lack of reference in the game's documentation and the fact that it is non-playable made me want to do some research on this secretive realm.

Searching on the wiki, I found that Osoerde actually finds itself in quite an interesting predicament. On the brink of civil war, with many interesting counts and barons, holding on to pieces of farmland or swamp. Each with their own loyalties and personal interests.

A perfect setting for an interesting diplomatic campaign and military struggle. It has a real Medieval feel to it.

My main gripe with the default game is that it is simply too easy for me to get started. Even on the hardest difficulty settings. So, I decided to turn Osoerde into a Duchy, torn apart by conflicting interests between the Duke's counts, and putting it on the brink of civil war.

One would first have to rally the entire Duchy, province for province, before one could face the main conflict in Anuire.
    This can be done by playing as one of the counts. Counts like Gavin Agael of the province of Agael and his trusted lieutenant, the Sheriff of Algael. Or as the pretender Duke Jaison Raenech, sitting safely in his keep at Moriel. Or perhaps as the rebel and legitimate Duke William Moergen, who recently assassinated the count of Moergen and with the aid of his cousin, Baron Parniel Moergen, is trying to oppose Raenech.
    Going even deeper than single provinces, the setting would focus heavily on holdings. William Moergen could, for example, use his favourable relations with the Second Swamp Mage to gain a better chance at overthrowing pretender Duke Jaison Raenech. On the other hand, the pretender Duke could strengthen the holdings held by his sister in their ancestral province of Brothendar.

I’m well on my way in shaping this campaign. My question would be: Is there any interest in such a scenario for Birthright: The Gorgon’s Alliance? Should I bother with writing documentation for each of the playable factions and characters in this scenario?

Let me know if you're interested, and feel free to give me some feedback! Any tips or requests will be appreciated!

-Jager
    Last edited by Jagerme1ster; 10-09-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Thread Information