Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PBEM Idea

Special Guest (Donor) DarkApple's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Would favour Excel, although most of PBEMs currently ongoing either use databases (Dawn / Empire Twilight) or Word submission formats, as far as I am aware...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ruins of Empire uses excel, although it has its own ruleset (for example manor holdings and trade holdings instead of trade routes). If you want me to email it over I can but be warned, it is a monster.

Similarly if you want to look at some prototypes that I've used / played with I can email those over.

I'd note that medieval people might not see warfare as 'wrong' or 'unusual' - some cultures gave nobles the right to make war, and the nobles were expected to do so if offended - it wasn't only God whose wrath was extreme, those blessed (the nobility) were expected to emulate God and so the anger of the king was deliberately excessive.

I'd note that in a world where crops only grow b/c the gods tell them to, disease and famine wreak havok on the ungodly, spirits and witches abound and prey on the unrighteous, etc the common people may be extremely religious regardless of any wrongs that they have done - in a fantasy world where all of the above may be true and where clearly blessed folk walk amongst the population is likely to be even more religious than on earth.

I'd suggest giving chaotic realms bonuses against 'foreigners' etc, otherwise any ruler will try to swing the alignment lawful, if 'once held, rarely threatened' is applied the local law holder need have little fear of challenge to their rule by another law holder as the populace resist foreign rule even more than they do their own rulers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be extremely helpful Andrew. I have an idea of what I want, but I rather not revise it after noticing I'm missing something useful. Only ugly part at the moment would be holding levels being hidden unless you have a holding in the provience, or are the Regent.

I was thinking that lawful populations more readily follow the rules of the law holders. Generally speaking they will follow the Regent if (s)he is held in high regard if no law holdings are present. If a vassal or foreign law holder has a a law holding a % of the population will be cowed into following their rules for fear of the lives, the laws are better, etc. Ie. Anuriean realms. **small bonus to establishing law holding

Chaotic populations, however, are more individualistic. A good majority will follow the Regent if (s)he is held in high regard, but they place their own traditions first. Law holdings have less effect for enforcing laws that go against the alignment of the people. Examples would be tribal nations or city states run by chiefs/mayors that may work with or against the Regent. Ie. Rjurik and Goblin tribes. **slightly harder to establish law holding

Outside of IC instances, this has the most effect on levies/conscription. Chaotic populations have a smaller conscription/draft pool than lawful populations unless they are being aggressed. This represents the faction/family/tribe/city-state-oriented nature of the society.

EDIT:: After taking a step back to reconsider this I find this is making things more complicated. Much simplier to just give a modifier to certain actions based on character alignment vs population alignment. So every step away would incur a penalty. Ie. Lawful Evil agitating Chaotic Neutral would gain a -3 to the roll (Lawful -> Neutral -> Chaotic = -2, Evil -> Neutral -1) or a Neutral Good ruling a holding in a Neutral Evil population would get -1 (Neutral +1, Good -> Neutral -> Evil = -2). So a perfect match would get a minor +2 bonus.
    Last edited by darknaj; 09-11-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a small update on progress. I'm nearly set to go as I have given up on an awesome map (my skills seem to be vastly smaller than my ego thought heh) and I'm just straightening a few things out before I pay for a website host.

Oh, and thanks again Andrew. I definetly have more to think about after looking over that monster of an excel sheet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bjorn is rebuilding the monster at present to do away with some of the sheets.

When he's finished I plan to 'roll it back' from turn 71 to turn 1 to get a starting sheet, the obvious fun given RoE being how to allocate vassals, deal with additional realms, and deal with Manor/trade holdings.

The basic ruleset for RoE can be downloaded from Twilight Peaks, let me know if you want a copy as it was designed as a 3e conversion independently of the BRCS.

But as monsters go it's such a useful one that it will be worthwhile anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be a great thing to get a hold of. I have tried half-heartedly to get it myself, but have come short of actually contacting Bjorn to obtain a copy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sent via email. On twilight peaks you can find the current copy of the 'Regent's Guide' at:

http://twilightpeaks.net/forum/index...tion=downloads

Be warned, it is a sizable document!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sizeable to say the least. It makes me feel like I've found myself wanting.

Thread Information