Thread: General thought

Hybrid View

Question General thought

An event is taking place within one of the BR games I play where one of my family was married to another house, a lesser house. Now this land seeks to rebel against the Empire, our game has an emperor. Now am I right in the thinking that since my house has a partial claim to said realm that once I slay the rebellious fool, who has sought to murder me and parts of my family, that I should have a leg up on claiming hereditary rights to the lands?

Just trying to get a general idea from perhaps more knowledgeable BR addicts

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that depends on the Emperor more than anything. Yes you could make a claim to it, but with so many royal houses intertwined at some level it might not really set you apart from the rest. It is possible that the Emperor could null all claims and once he gets it back under control give it to a favourite of his own. But really this seems to be something you ask your DM. (Mostly by asking him how his Emperor treats those who are loyal to him or if he is more of a crony guy)

Downloads
    Uploads
    You may be a candidate but in politics, you need to be a *worthwhile* candidate in the eyes of the Emperor. If you have holdings, and thus have control and understanding of the people and industry, you may be such a benefit to him. The problem will always be proving why you are better at being a regent than his favourite nephew or general. Who you or your relatives marry/ally with may make a difference.

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's definitely up to the Emperor.

While you might be related to the family in question through a relative, and this might give you some claim, it hinges on whether or not the man's entire family rebels or whether some stay loyal to the Empire. If some stay loyal, the Emperor may decide to invest someone with a more direct line (e.g., brother, uncle, sister (depends on whether women can inherit in given game - it varies) to inherit.

In our game we have an Emperor as well and have had rebellions. In every individual case, the rebels if captured, were brought before the bar, relatives were questioned to determine whether they were involved, and once sentence was passed, the heralds were called in to who stood next in-line. If brothers, sisters, etc... we found innocent of being part of the rebellion, they were not barred from inheriting. If they were...well it opens the various people up for a Royal land grab. All you have to do is take a look at the war between the house of York and Lancaster to get an idea of what a tennis match this sort of thing can be.
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot depends on what your PC does - if they stop the rebels, seize their lands, etc, etc then, well, possession is 9/10 of the law, the king is hardly going to complain about your PC stopping the rebellion and a payment of 'back taxes unjustly withheld by the rebels' will probably keep them sweet anyway. As an alternative getting the support of other local nobles is a good way to encourage the emperor to support your PCs claim.

Of course it might be more interesting to wait, subtly undermine the emperor's attempts to retake the land, and when his weakness invites other rebellions, step in and seek wider claims, a weak emperor is an opportunity for am ambitious noble.

In practice what it may come down to is relative power, the desire of the emperor to avoid offending / reward / keep balanced noble families, their expectation of future actions by the new ruler, etc. The empire could of course be ruled by an idiot in which case they might appoint their favourite courtesan, a regent for a youthful heir, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It would depend entirely on exactly what & where in the family tree the marriage connection was. For example, if it was your PC's sibling who had married into the rebellious family, then no, it wouldn't give you any claim, similarly if it was a cousin or child. basically, as long as your PC is a descendant of the member of the rebellious family that married into your family, then it would give you some claim, but not otherwise.

Of course, this assumes that the inheritance laws are similar to those in Europe, a different system could give an entirely different answer. For example, in some cultures (the ancient Hebrews were one such if I recall correctly), all of a man's possessions, including wives and children, pass to his brothers on his death. In this case, if it was your PC's brother who had married and rebelled, then yes, it would give you (and any other brothers) the primary claim.

As to how much attention to your claim the Emperor plats...well that's pretty well covered by the other replies.

Thread Information