Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Heretical me did away with the land-bridge altogether. It existed only in the dim past of Aebrynis, long before the Andu came to check out things. I simply could not fit my head around one mountain blowing up to create a trench hundreds of miles long and several provinces wide. Not without obliterating every single creature within a trillion miles of the battle. And at any rate I wanted to have Mnt. Deismaar around as a site for holy pilgrimage...only made the choice all that much easier.

On my maps I have Mnt. Deismar adjacent to Bliene; the Holy Mountain starts in the foothills of Aerele, becomes mountains in Bliene, before culminating in the province of Deismaar.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    you should go to Lindesfarne, it is easy to think of a landbridge sinking... The local hotels make good money out of tourists stranded by the tide.

http://www.lindisfarne.org.uk/general/travel.htm

I figured that the land bridge was less 'the whole of the straits' and more 'a few mountain tops and islands that troops could cross at low tide with luck, sturdy rope, and understanding of seasonal tides.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    you should go to Lindesfarne, it is easy to think of a landbridge sinking... The local hotels make good money out of tourists stranded by the tide.

http://www.lindisfarne.org.uk/general/travel.htm

I figured that the land bridge was less 'the whole of the straits' and more 'a few mountain tops and islands that troops could cross at low tide with luck, sturdy rope, and understanding of seasonal tides.
    Why? It could well be a fully developed mass of land. Such land bridges existed even in our real world, e.g. the connections between Great Britain and continental Europe or between Great Britain and Ireland:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland
    Michael Romes

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Romes View Post
    Why? It could well be a fully developed mass of land. Such land bridges existed even in our real world, e.g. the connections between Great Britain and continental Europe or between Great Britain and Ireland:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland
    Timing mainly, although that could be the result of literal rather than poetical reading of canon - if the land bridge vanished over the new few decades rather than in a matter of days it could have been much more substantive.

What concerns me more is that the straits appear to be deep water over a 50 mile wide expanse with no substantive intervening islands. A substantial landbridge suggests that we should have been left with an archipelago as former hill-tops and mountain peaks remained above the surface even after thousands of feet of general subsidience.

If however the land bridge at the time of Deismaar was already just such remains of a former larger mass with only the mountain tops really above water, and suffered further subsidence and loss of a substantive mountain at Deismaar then the end result is easier to explain.

I can't see a problem with a broad expanse of relatively low lying alluvial deposit type terrain being exposed by the removal of a few key mountains and then sea erosion rapidly scouring away to sand/dirt to make a shallow strait, but that erosion would require years and I would have expected some residual islands, also the position of the land bridge in the apparent centre of the straits with flanked island chains doesn't really fit that method.

It does however spark the idea of Mount Deismaar not so much blowing up, as instead a province-sized mass of land being shifted partly into the Shadow World - similar perhaps to Tuar Annwn - and being pulled entirely into the plane of Shadow as the veil restored itself - a fantastical explanation of course but one with the intriguing possibility of quests to the Holy site, or even one day restoring it to Cerilia.
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 08-19-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure it can be reasoned many ways, but I can't bring myself to believe in them. We're not talking some low-lying wetlands being washed away. We're talking a land-bridge the unarguably contains mountainous terrain, spanning a massive straits of deep water, all destroyed in such a way that it didn't insta-kill everyone within a hundred miles.

But as I said the main reason for me keeping it around was that I wanted a Holy Mountain...

Andy: Maybe the Mnt. went into the shadow world, or maybe it even went all the way to heaven along with the new gods?
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the strait of gibraltar is believed to have been closed off at one point. Thats quite a decent sized strait, and it happened all without any explosion of godly essences

For all we know, maybe there are continental plates meeting in the strait, having caused mount deismar to form in the first place, and the explosion after the godwar there pushed the continental plates away from eachother much faster then would happened by nature itself, having them move a long distance over a few years, before slowing down, and ending with the current geography of the strait.

In a world where powerful magicwielders can shift earth with theyr spells, why should not the rampant forces of godly essences, wich would be incomprehensibly much greater, be able to shift a continent? Or blow up a mountain like krakatoa, and then lower the land/seabed a thousand feet or so?

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Aren't there tectonic plates rubbing on each other in the coastal area of California? And wasn't there an idea by the villains in movies such as Superman and James Bond that included use of powerful explosives that would shake those plates and make them move one atop the other... and to conclude with a Bill Hicks quote "leaving nothing but a cool, beautiful serenity called... Arizona bay."

So, could some powerful wizard(s) go a bit too much hog wild and cause such a movement inducing a series of deadly earthquakes that would shatter and utterly destroy the land bridge. Not in a day or two but in a longer period of time, months, maybe years...

The maps and data show that mountain range in Aduria spreads from southwest to northeast, ending (if we draw an imaginary line) in the provinces of Bliene and Aerele.
    I'd put Mt. Deismaar closer to Adurian side than Cerilian for the sake of mountain range continuity. Now it's only a matter of agreement how much larger would this area be. Would it make province of Bindier in Brosengae a part of it too, would it then mean that the Arnienbae was once a lake...
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was thinking about exposing players to Aebrynis' past. I too was curious about the land bridge that was destroyed. I found this NatGeo documentary regarding Yellow Stone interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7as7Ej_U6yU

Given that the straits of Aerele was supposed to be formed by the destruction of Mt. Deismaar, one can liken it to the destructive power of a super volcano.
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Downloads
    Uploads
    At the risk of annoying Thelandrin with thread necromancy (most of the originals are around to some degree I think making it not too unfair).

A series volcanic event would give some interesting underwater issues, although a good old fashioned meteor aka Fist of God would have a similar effect.

My worry is that thousands of people survived the collapse of the landbridge - armies clash but frankly if a super volcano pops, dinosaur killer slams in, etc then survivors would live on in spirit only

I'm thinking:
    1. A shift - at least temporarily - to the Shadow World of the actual mountain - possibly with a new mountain rising up to mirror the Shadow World mountain due to the godly essence - kind of a reverse of the typical Shadow world mirrors Aebrynnis effect.

2. A major series of earthquakes starting a few hours after the gods death due to the mystical strains on the land that lasted for years, the Karamhul present at the battle sense the shock to the earth and warn people giving the organised forces a head start - although the ensuing tsunami's make a mess of sailors such as the Masetians and anyone else who stayed near the coast.

3. Much sediment, etc being rapidly eroded over the next few decades as a gibralter-style landbridge is destroyed allowing the oceans to flow down the straits resulting in much of the landbridge being simply washed away.

4. Still many islands left in the straits but only Albiele, Beaghos and Caelcorwynn worth showing on the map. The rest of the straits is then an Australia-style area of relatively shallow seabed that is accordingly very fertile - particularly due to some residual volcanism perhaps.

I note that the Mieres description also mentions the Deismaar mountain chain, but the angle of the mountain chain in southern Mieres doesn't really look right to go up to Diemed.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll let you off this once.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Thread Information