Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mt. Deismaar and the land bridge

I've always wondered were it was on the maps I've looked at. Any ideas?

I look at the map and have several spots that it could have been. Or perhaps it was the entire straits.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had it in mind that the land bridge was to Diemed, but I'm not sure why beyond the obvius religious link. That would probably put the bridge as crossing to Mieres as the nearest point, but given the width of the Staits unless there are a lot of unmentioned islands that doesn't really fit.

Really given the description of the bridge I'd have expected an north/south america sort of join that got disrupted by Mount Deismaar vaporising, but that simply doesn't fit the local geography on the map.

Thinking about it the sinking could have radically changed ocean current by opening the straits to a through current. That could in turn have rapidily eroded the land to widen the gap - and probably caused significant damage to local fishing for centuries in so doing which could in turn have weakened Diemed significantly during the early years of the empire's formation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After reading your post I looked at the map with province names and it seems to make sense that Diemed's southern two provinces of Bliene and Aerele had something to do with it. Aerele with the name of the straits after it. The mountain range in Bliene as geological evidence if continental drift is considered. I'd think the bridge would connect to the mountains west of Mieres using this argument.

I was looking at the islands to Baerghos and Taeghas as well. Its the shortest leap over the water.

Then I went to thinking of play on names like Bindier in Brosengae and the province that may have bound the two continents.

Continuing with the play on words I was trying to find the meaning of arnien for some explanation of Arnienbae. Just found its a name of people in Scotland or something. Nothing much more. Coincedentally I found a link for Arni en bra where some guy had a ladies under garment over his shirt.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Magian View Post
    After reading your post I looked at the map with province names and it seems to make sense that Diemed's southern two provinces of Bliene and Aerele had something to do with it. Aerele with the name of the straits after it. The mountain range in Bliene as geological evidence if continental drift is considered. I'd think the bridge would connect to the mountains west of Mieres using this argument.

I was looking at the islands to Baerghos and Taeghas as well. Its the shortest leap over the water.
    It's fairly open I think, probably hotly contested by rival faiths of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Magian View Post
    Then I went to thinking of play on names like Bindier in Brosengae and the province that may have bound the two continents.

Continuing with the play on words I was trying to find the meaning of arnien for some explanation of Arnienbae.
    Arnienbae could be a corruption of a name and 'bay' - 'Parnien's Bay' for example. As a thought it could have been a freshwater lake before the land bridge collapsed which would have caused havoc ecologically and on the local economy, although that doesn't really fit with the imperial city then springboarding the growth of the empire.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember reading somewhere that the land bridge connected to Bliene and Aerele. Also something about the land bridge being hilly/mountain-ish land. But off the top of my head I can not recall where I came across that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Retillin View Post
    Also something about the land bridge being hilly/mountain-ish land. But off the top of my head I can not recall where I came across that.
    It makes sense, given that the one and only thing we think we know for sure is that there was a honking great mountain in the middle of it.

Mt. Deismaar

I ran a campaign recently where the remenants of the landbridge formed a few small islands. The major island in the middle of them was called the island of Tyr.

Surrounded by a magical deadzone and large sea creatures to destroy any incoming ships. Makes for a good high level campaign setting. Characters end up getting their ship destroyed and wash up on the shores of the island.

Characters discover ancient ruins and signs of the great war on the island. The island itself would be extremely enchanted, with many different types of environments and creatures.

To attract the characters to this place could the the promise of some rare magical item, or in our case to find a cure for a character who had been stricken by a magical disease. I have some random encounter tables and samples of the magical environments that I can post. Makes for a good place to set because it allows you to pretty much invent things to keep your players on their toes, because they never know what they could encounter next. I added quite a few mini adventures in this setting, like the discovery of other planar creatures.

Introducing a new player while in this campaign was an interesting experience. The whole idea was that their character had been fighting alongside Haelyn during the great war when she was hit by a magical dagger which turned her to stone. Fast forward a thousand years, the PC's discover this ancient statue with an immaculate dagger protruding from its chest. Upon removing it, the character instantly comes to life and is a living relic from ancient times. Interesting stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by darthjordy View Post
    I ran a campaign recently where the remenants of the landbridge formed a few small islands. The major island in the middle of them was called the island of Tyr.

Surrounded by a magical deadzone and large sea creatures to destroy any incoming ships. Makes for a good high level campaign setting. Characters end up getting their ship destroyed and wash up on the shores of the island.

Characters discover ancient ruins and signs of the great war on the island. The island itself would be extremely enchanted, with many different types of environments and creatures.

To attract the characters to this place could the the promise of some rare magical item, or in our case to find a cure for a character who had been stricken by a magical disease. I have some random encounter tables and samples of the magical environments that I can post. Makes for a good place to set because it allows you to pretty much invent things to keep your players on their toes, because they never know what they could encounter next. I added quite a few mini adventures in this setting, like the discovery of other planar creatures.

Introducing a new player while in this campaign was an interesting experience. The whole idea was that their character had been fighting alongside Haelyn during the great war when she was hit by a magical dagger which turned her to stone. Fast forward a thousand years, the PC's discover this ancient statue with an immaculate dagger protruding from its chest. Upon removing it, the character instantly comes to life and is a living relic from ancient times. Interesting stuff.
    Pretty cool stuff man. I'd be interested in seeing what you post if you choose to share.

As I read some more I came to the feeling that the land bridge was definitely connected to the province of Aerele in Diemed. I had come up with a notion that it was where the Imperial City is at least Mt. Diesmaar. My reasoning was to make the Iron Throne an artifact of that last bit left of the mountain. Then I decided just to go with it being a part of Diesmaar and it was moved to the Imp City. Somewhat like a large rock that was fashioned into the throne and functions as an artifact, maybe boosting bloodline to an emperor that is invested with it as if it was like a domain. I think there is a bit somewhere about it being a relic or magical item from some website.

Ruins of Empire booklet, page 16, Under "Description:"

".... Most of the kingdom is covered in forest, with the remnants of the Deismaar range of mountains to the south."

That to me, pretty clearly indicates that the Straits of Aerele towards the east of the map is where the mountain range ran. Probably right smack in the middle of the interrupted mountain chain at the top and bottom is where you would fine Mt Deismaar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    According to the book of Priestcraft Page 17:
    "The Anuireans eventually built temples throughout the empire, but to honor Haelyn's heroism at Deismaar they built his first temple in the hills overlooking the city of Aerele in the barony of Diemed, close to where Mount Deismaar once stood."

That's the only mention of the location of the landbridge that I can think of.

My guess is the land bridge connected from the mountains of Bliene in Diemed to the mountains in Aduria west south-west across the straits (Right above where the on Map of Anuire ADURIA is written) and not to the mountains in Mieres because those don't reach all the way to the straits of Aerele.
    Last edited by Tahliat; 06-24-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Thread Information