To conquer a dwarven realm seems no different than a realm with castles in every province. At least that is according to the domain rules I've read. From the discussions I've come to the conclusion that this understanding sells the dwarves short. How have you dealt with developing dwarven realms to give them their special feel and flavor?

An idea that comes to mind could be the Thermopylae bottleneck effect as the dwarven stronghold is narrow and the corridors to stretch probably the entire time making it a slow and costly attack once the initial defenses are breached.

Supply lines could be stored up and rerouted through secret entrances so cutting them off may be near impossible. Starving them out may not be an option.

Say if the Gorgon tries he has access to his own dwarves who know the strengths and weakness let alone he conquered them. Also he could use orogs to tunnel in and flank the inner workings of the stronghold.

I am sure they are a tough nut to crack, but through domain mechanics how would you deal with it?