Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

When the enemy is your friend

Our current campaign is centered on the heroes trying to civilize the Giantdowns, and eventually become Kings of the Giantdowns.

Recently, they've met with Anneke (the regent of the Giantdowns), and they find her a nice, lovable old lady. They're finding a bit difficult the idea of contesting her holdings, or even go to war against her.

For the moment, they have decided to join the Watch, and have started Guild and Source holdings in Midjarna. They're also thinking of moving to those provinces where there seems to be no "law" (like Skansoeren), and invest them to themselves.

How would Anneke/The Watch react to this?

I'm afraid I'll need something to happen to her (one of her many enemies killing her), or the heroes will never make a step to "usurp" her.

PS: as a side note, since Anneke is no Warrior (or any other class), I'm supposing she gets no Regency from Law holdings?

Cheers

Delazar

My Birthright Campaign
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 05-31-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If they need to be invested to gain any holdings or provinces, there may be issues about which priest/religion they use.

As to Anneke, why not make her react to something, then you leak to the players that there may be more to the "something" than they think. Make the rumour come from the White Witch or someone, but make it sound like the basis for a conspiracy. If the players follow it, they will make it into a conspiracy theory and you can expand it and give them a cause to follow, which eventual ends up with them eliminating Anneke. Alternatively, if they follow up the source of the rumour, then they may gain positions of trust with Anneke and she may give them more leeway in her provinces (ie. allow them law holdings, etc).

You also have her sons to work with. Perhaps the greed of the twins could end up being the downfall of their mother.

Sorontar
    Sorontar
    Information Communication ILLUMINATION!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    party has both a priest of Haelyn and one of Erik, so Investitures are covered

I like the idea of starting a conspiracy around Anneke. As it is now, she's not opposing them starting their own holdings, there just isn't a lot of "space" (holding-wise) to do your own thing.

That's why the heroes want to invest Skansoeren, then they can raise the province to higher levels, and start from there. Eventually, the other provinces will see that progress is on the side of the heroes, and maybe even Anneke will acknowledge that the heroes are the Giantdowns only chance to improve.

I'm also thinking that her twin sons, when they see Anneke taking sides with the heroes, may decide to take matters into their own end, though I read from the sourcebook that they usually respect their mother's decision.

Maybe, they could mentioned their malcontent to the Kjarhoelle, and the bandits may decide to take action...

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's 3 options I see at a glance:

1) Change your plans. Let the players gain power alongside Anneke and have her acknowledge their supremacy when the time comes.

2) Make Anneke a hidden villain with some sort of evil plan. This might be difficult if you want it to look like you planned it all along. You'd have to recall every interaction the players had with Anneke and make up a reason why she acted as a kind old lady.

3) Replace Anneke with a real villain. For example, have Ghuralli usurp her bloodline and position unless players have already dealt with him. If they like Anneke, it will give them an additional reason to act against Ghuralli.

Personally, I'd prefer option 3 both as player and DM. There's nothing better then brutally killing an NPC players got to like.

BTW, the title of the thread sounds perverse if you understand it the wrong way. I expected it was some spam.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think option 3 will indeed be the best, then the PCs have one more reason to go after Ghuralli (or whomever will kill Anneke).

Poor old lady...

Sorry fo the title of the topic, english is not my mother language... did I use the wrong word?

I'll try to change it...

PS: seems I can't change the title of the thread...
    Last edited by Delazar; 05-30-2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: seems I can't change the title of the thread...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Delazar View Post
    Sorry fo the title of the topic, english is not my mother language... did I use the wrong word?
    Not a wrong word, just one with multiple meanings, especially when you put it close to a lady ;)

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    To what would you like the title changed?

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    mh... "The issues with Grannies"?

"Granny out of Control in The Giantdowns"?

ok, seriously... "When your enemy is your friend"

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Done!

Personally, I'd have preferred: "how do you solve a problem like Granny?"

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anneke is no spring chicken, and even the toughest old buzzards don't last forever - one bad winter could see Anneke in her grave, particularly if her wastrel twins failed to keep her hall well repaired while Gunnar is fighting for the Watch. And that's assuming that she isn't assassinated.

Anneke doesn't, in my mind, see herself as a queen, but more as a town mayor who looks out for her neighbours. She might be happy to see immigrants standing on their own - and gladly retire to a less active role if they prove very able.

As she doesn't see her children as good heirs and Hogrun of the watch doesn't want to responsibility she has significant inheritance issues, rather than see her people collapse when she's gone I'd expect her to try to maneuvre the PCs into rulership herself rather than need forcing out - the PCs may not get the chance to refuse rulership if Anneke takes it in mind to start investing them with rule of cleared provinces, new law holdings, etc 'by public acclaim' after she maneuvers them into some heroics.

One interesting aspect of Anneke is that she doesn't admit to rule - her people presumably know but her refusal to accept public status will presumably make it much easier for a PC to take over and become a 'real king'.

Thread Information