Downloads
    Uploads

Question Tollanar, anyone thought about what might be there?

Looking and the great wide world, Tollanar, anyone have any thoughts about what or who is there?
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Downloads
    Uploads
    Which map are you referring to? I can't remember it being mentioned in canon material.

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's one of the continents that shows up in the Aebrynis series of maps in the download section.

Most likely not canon.
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaleela View Post
    It's one of the continents that shows up in the Aebrynis series of maps in the download section.

Most likely not canon.
    Definitely not canon since those maps were created by fans. The only canon-ish map that covers more than Cerilia is that of Aduria based on a map in the set of files attributed to Richard Baker. (cf. http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...ile:Aduria.JPG)

That said, I had a quick look for Tollanar in the forum archives and one suggestion was made that it might be treated like Mayan/Aztec South and Latin America. So they must speak Latin, right?

I believe a Vice President told me so.

Sorontar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I figured the map was fan based but sometimes it's hard to tell.

Thanks, I had the Aduria map and the notes that Rich Baker was shipping around back in the 90's. Just wasn't sure if the Aebrynis maps resulted from a list conversation.

Latin America...speaking Latin. :-) If a VP said it, then it must be true, right?

But I suspect that it does have something to do with the European colonization of Central America and the "latin" based languages that they brought with them. ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    But I suspect that it does have something to do with the European colonization of Central America and the "latin" based languages that they brought with them. ;-)
    Oh? As in Latin-Oh?

On a more serious point, the problem is that many of the Cerilian cultures have been based on a period and section of the Earth population. That includes the languages and the phonology used for the names (ie. what sounds can go in syllables). I am curious if there is anyone here who knows much of indigenous American languages? (North, South or Central) I have been exposed to some in my linguistic training but not enough to really help. I know we have had people from Brazil on this forum. And didn't you go to Peru Arjan? Aren't you our expert now?

Of course, that is just one option for Tollanar. Australia is another if it was barren enough to encourage nomadic tribes as separate entities rather than communities on set locations. It would also allow a completely new approach to the gods, ownership and the land.

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    Oh? As in Latin-Oh?
    And didn't you go to Peru Arjan? Aren't you our expert now?
    expert hmmm well my time in peru i spend most of the time speaking english, not even spanish.

but one of the old still spoken languages there is Quechua, it origins from the time of the Inca (the word inca can not be plural since there was only 1 inca at the time... and the people below them were not incas, but quechua)

for me as a germanic language speaker the quechua phonetic sounds are quite easy.. while they are not so easy for english speakers.

quechua is only a spoken language, no writing..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quechua_languages
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking and the great wide world, Tollanar, anyone have any thoughts about what or who is there?
    Well that is the next continent I am working on a map of, so if anybody has any cool ideas for the geography, let me know.
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have started detailing Tollanar, and have posted a brief description of the religious denominations there.
    http://www.birthright.net/forums/sho...ed=1#post91183
    Call me Bob.
    My website: NRGGames.org
    My game design blog: Bob's Worlds

Thread Information