Downloads
    Uploads

Llywodraeth Cynulliad

Discussion thread for Llywodraeth Cynulliad. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button

Downloads
    Uploads

Is this canon or a term that someone felt was more appropriate than what was in the Player's Secrets Tuarhievel?

I created a purposeful "redirect" for the Council of the Moon so that if anyone was searching for the phrase, like I had been, they'd come to the Llywodreath Cynulliad page.
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never got a copy of Tuarhievel, so I can't exactly comment. However, you did a good thing about linking the Council of the Moon to this particular page. Kenneth probably put that up just to be authentic.
    Regent of Medoere

Downloads
    Uploads
    Elton is correct. Sometimes the original sources give us Welsh and call it Sidhelien, other times they just use English. Players who really enjoy the Sidhe seem to go all out and start using a lot more Celtic words to discuss them than people whose interests lay elsewhere. So, both to be consistent and to support the many players using Welsh, or the like, I tried to translate terms relating to the elves into Welsh the same way I'd call Brecht counts "Graf", talk about Rjurik Huskarls, or use Arabic references for the Khinasi.

Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    Elton is correct. Sometimes the original sources give us Welsh and call it Sidhelien, other times they just use English. Players who really enjoy the Sidhe seem to go all out and start using a lot more Celtic words to discuss them than people whose interests lay elsewhere. So, both to be consistent and to support the many players using Welsh, or the like, I tried to translate terms relating to the elves into Welsh the same way I'd call Brecht counts "Graf", talk about Rjurik Huskarls, or use Arabic references for the Khinasi.
    This is a fairly niggling detail - but the language used by the Elves is Irish Gaelic (or a decent simulacrum of it). Definitely not Welsh. The two languages are related (they're both Celtic-descended), but they're pretty solidly not the same.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the language issue might come from the fact that when they created some of the Elvish names, they were in fact Welsh rather than Irish or Scots Gaelic.

It gives it a feel. "Council of the Moon" would probably still work in either of the languages. Welsh has a more musical quality to it I think than other Celtic languages.
    d'estre bons et leaulx amis et vrais ensemble et de servir l'un 'autre envers et contre tous

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pft, I'm a linguist in RL but I have been using Norwegian, Swedish and more recently Finnish for Rjurik names and terms. Since most players are going to mispronounce them anyway and won't know the literal translations, it doesn't bother me about mixing the languages. I just consider them to be "dialects" of Rjuven The average player won't know they are from separate languages. After all, this is fantasy. We should not be trying to borrow everything from Terran cultures and history.

If you want to be stricter though, you could be consistent within domains, e.g. Welsh for Tuarhievel, Irish Gaelic for Cwmb Bheinn, Sindarin for the Sielwode and Klingon for Lluabraight :^)

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    If you want to be stricter though, you could be consistent within domains, e.g. Welsh for Tuarhievel, Irish Gaelic for Cwmb Bheinn, Sindarin for the Sielwode and Klingon for Lluabraight :^)

Sorontar
    LOL.I think that Klingon would be more suitable for the Orogs. You haven't heard Shakespeare until you've heard it in "Orog" (Klingon) taH pagh taHbe !

You're luckier than most being a linguist. I think most of us borrow from the world we know. I use Middle French, mostly the Northern dialects for Avanil; Etruscan imagery and symbolism makes up the background for the Masetians with a splash of Ancient Rome, etc...

The Aelvinnwode, I stick with some of the material that is provided by the PSoT, but I have a more Otherworld spin on the elves and have them more like the Fae from Celtic legend and medieval romances.
    Last edited by Jaleela; 02-18-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Thread Information