Thread: Bloodchallenge

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am in Brontos little world of birthright, and we have a ? about blood challenge and how it affects a regent or npc who turns it down. What are the possible consequences of failing to go through with a blood challenge. If successful then can one take all of the combatants blood ability or just portions of it, any help would be great.:)
    Massa P

Downloads
    Uploads
    A blood challenge is more or less a duel between two blooded scions. Turning down a blood challenge wouldn't have any direct affect on the regent, but could have a variety of different social ramifications that would depend upon your DM's discretion. For a successful blood challenge you would have to look at the rulebook under bloodtheft, and that should answer your question.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    > A blood challenge is more or less a duel between two blooded scions.
    >Turning down a blood challenge wouldn`t have any direct affect on the
    >regent, but could have a variety of different social ramifications that
    >would depend upon your DM`s discretion. For a successful blood challenge
    >you would have to look at the rulebook under bloodtheft, and that should
    >answer your question.

Regency is a nice abstraction to represent political strength, purity of
    blood, right to rule, and people`s faith. All of these abstracts might be
    effected if you were to deny a blood challenge. So I think it would be
    justified to have a loss of Regency Points if a regent denied a blood
    challenge -- perhaps even a continuous small drain until he does something
    to overcome his dishonor.

For those of you who like rules though, Blood Challenge is one of the random
    events, and one of the consequences of failing random events is to lose
    around 50% of your regency or so. So from the perspective of the rules as
    written, a loss of Regency is the most justified way of going about it.

__________________________________________________ _______________
    Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." --Sir Isaac Newton.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the idea of losing RP because it could be considered ignoring a random event. It would make sense, but wouldn't be that much of a penalty in the long run because you always get more RP next domain turn. Cowardice is something the people tend to remember, especially followers. The rule that I implemented in the past when my players just couldn't bring themselves to duel an NPC 4+ levels higher than their own was to do a sort of reverse of the bloodtheft/usurpation rules. The refuser of the duel loses 1 Bloodline Strength Point if he is of lower level than the challenger, 2 if of higher level. Just wondering what the rest of this community thinks of that idea.

By the way...Massa P is not even Massa of His Own Domain, if you get my Seinfeld drift.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think both ideas are a good mix, but in addition I think the regent who does the blood challenge should in some way be rewarded for it so maybe he/she gets the RP or Blood Score Points. Just a thought since the regent forfeiting the challenge loses face the regent making the challenge should gain some sort of respect and admiration of his people, thereby gaining something. By the way Bronto, Seinf***d is copyright and intellctual property of NBC, kinda like weird wars 2 J/k a**munch:)
    Massa P

Downloads
    Uploads
    well, i will be, with respect to you all, comrades, polemical in my opinion. It depends.
    If you see well, not all realms are ruled by the force and in a plenty of them, refusing to fight a blood chalenge would be not a proof of cowardice.
    Let's see. Laela Flaertes (i don't remeber the spell right now) would be in public shame if she refuses to fight the barbarian Vos who challenge her? I think the people of her realm would understand very well if she just send the guards and traps the savage man in a cell. Why? Beause she is not a warrior in the eyes of her people. She is a clever politician. They don't expect her to defend her position by the sword, but by her wits. I sincerely prefer the bloodchallenges INSIDE a major plot. when i roll such event, i run a adventure and inside it i put the fight with the villain in circunstances that are logical for the regent. In other words: If a regent dennies a blood challenge, the consequences are logical, and unique within each domain. Failure in the plot that leads to the blood challenge have GREAT consequences. well, that's what i think.;)
    Yeah, i'm braziliam and because my country is not as rich as yours you think i'm not as good as you.
    Let's play soccer. Let's see how your republicans are spending sports funds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by LordRahvin
    For those of you who like rules though, Blood Challenge is one of the random
    events, and one of the consequences of failing random events is to lose
    around 50% of your regency or so. So from the perspective of the rules as
    written, a loss of Regency is the most justified way of going about it.
    The 50% loss is a bit steep for most random events, IMO. I don't think that such a loss is necessary in all cases.

With the Blood Challenge, the outcome of denying the challenge must fit the situation. If the Gorgon were to challenge Marlae Roesone, she would be a fool to accept. Similarly if the two bit third cousin of the 8th count of Worsheire were to challenge Aeric Boeruine it would also be foolish. Generally, only blood challenges by parties directly offended by the regent or their actions or relatives seeking their chance at the throne should be reasonable.
    The rules are not catch alls, otherwise we would have no purpose for creative DMs.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rules are not catch alls, otherwise we would have no purpose for creative DMs.
    I don't think Lawgiver could have put it any better. You just need to think logically on the situation. If the situation ain't logical, chances are it ain't likely.

Hmm... logic. Give me a V... Give me a U... etc.

Thread Information