Downloads
    Uploads
    Hiya.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what "cultural games" might be out there on Cerilia. I can see Anuirean "knightly tournaments", with jousting, archery, general melee, etc. The Vos might have some realy nasty "pit fighting", possibley dog fights, maybe some sort of "I can take pain better than you" contests, etc. Brecht's could have dagger/dart throwing, archery, and dueling/fencing type tournaments followed by a big parties (and gambling/betting, of course). Rjurik would have drinking contests, wrestling/brawling, maybe gladatorial stuff too. Khinasi might be into parties with extravagent drink and food, opera/poetry/plays, and horse/animal races. I could even get into the demi human (dwarf, elf, etc) "cultural entertainment", but I won't. :)

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm in the process of figuring out special rules and yearly "games" and holidays for the major "countries" and wouldn't mind hearing any other DM's ideas on the matter.
    ^_^

Paul L. Ming

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a message dated 5/17/02 4:53:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    brnetboard@TUARHIEVEL.ORG writes:

<< Anyone have any thoughts on this? I`m in the process of figuring out
    special rules and yearly "games" and holidays for the major "countries"
    and wouldn`t mind hearing any other DM`s ideas on the matter.
    >>

My Rjurik have had archery contests, footraces and a mass-wrestling/boxing
    contest (last one standing in the creek wins!). We speculated a bit on an
    Anuirean tournament circuit, with journeyman knights who earn their living by
    competing on regents` teams.

Lee.

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Several of the Khinasi realms sponsor gladiatorial arenas in my campaign. Though they are not so much the death and suicide missions of slaves setup for executeion as many of the Roman gladiators.
    They are generally voluntary. People go to the pits to make a name for the themselves and retire rich. They vary from one-on-one duels to vicious mass melee's with several contestants.

Additionally, the Serpent (in my campaign) has a massive gladitorial arena and sponsors tournaments on a regular basis. He uses it as a training/recruitemnt ground for his soldiers.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In our Birthright campaign we are located in Aftane and celebrate the "begin of the storm season" (day of rebirth). This means a great fighters contest for Khirdais (Cuiraécens) glory once per year, which includes serveral disciplines:

-a bowduel
    -a boxing contest
    -a duel with all kind of swords (the first hit ends it)
    -a speer-throwing event
    -a free weapon of choice fight (the first hit ends it)
    -a fight on horses (but not with a lance)
    -a "katha" with a weapon of choice (shadow-fighting)

The winner gets a new bow, speer or sword and a medal. The best of all can start to serve the temple of Khirdai in his best discipline, if he wants to.

Because in our campaign the Red Kings are destroyed this fighting contest is as much unbloody as possible.
    May Khirdai always bless your sword and his lightning struck your enemies!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also the Brecht have a card game they play....Kinoche is the name and supposedly it is hard and you have to be lucky to win.

Vos have fighting pits, indeed. Check Kriesha's or Belinik's text in the Book of Priestcraft, if you have access, it says in there what Vos do in festivities.

I do not like the arenas in Khinasi idea, but that of course is my personal opinion :)

Mind you also, that in Rjurik they would NOT duel. They do not approve of dueling others. I would say they'd have feats of strength, eg. throw a boulder, a tree, bra de fer (I do not know french) They would not have archery and stuff like that though. Wrestling would be good. Ah, a nice one would be storytelling, given the fact that they are into the sklad/bard idea :) And hunting contest is always good. Even for Anuireans :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    You shouldn't look at it as national sports and games but class sports and games. If the adventure ends up in the middle of the slums of anywhere I’m guessing that the local sport would be something along the lines of cock fighting, bare fisted fighting, and even a local race through the tannery (tanning animal skins) sector.

A labyrinth of Mud filled alleyways, filled with rowdy onlookers and the occasional fruit cart that adventures have to race through would be quite interesting. I'd love to see the reaction on a players face when their character fails a dex roll, trips over a foot, and lands face first in the mud.

If the class is nobility, or even royalty then the games will obviously be more sophisticated. Well organised archery contests, jousting, dance functions, maybe a few high stakes card games. etc.

The culture of the people will influence the style of the game a little. Rapiers instead of long swords is one example. The effect won't be massive though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A similarity of sport implies either common origins or diffusion. Common
    origins of sport would rely on both universal kinds of sports (wrestling)
    and a common heritage. The common heritage could be measured against the
    differences between the nations as we know them today. There are many
    differences in cultures, so a difference in sport is reasonable. Diffusion
    of sport can be carried out in a general commerce of ideas and practices, as
    well as the special case of Anuirean Empire. The Brecht, Khinasi, and
    Anuirean cultures trade more, and geographically share a junction point.
    The Rjurik and Vos are more traditional minded, and hence more resistant to
    diffusion and geographically more remote.

Mason is correct to identify class as, perhaps, a greater barrier to the
    diffusion of sport than nation, although I think he over states the
    similarities between the nations.

I`d imagin a chart of 3-5 games for every class for every nation. The games
    of commoners would tend to be more universal. Wrestling, boxing, running,
    and sports that reflect every day activities, like archery. The games of
    the upper class would least universal (reflecting everyday realities), but
    possibly most diffused (chess). Upper class games might be more elaborate
    (jousting) or more mental (board games). A yeoman/burgher class will to
    some extent ape the upper class, retain some more refined games of the
    common class, and may include some original games. Yeoman farmers and
    burghers don`t joust, but they may play chess and they may run races, but
    they may not brawl.

Here is a site I use for game ideas (and other cultural elements) for my
    Rjurik campaign. http://www.regia.org/games.htm

Kenneth Gauck
    kgauck@mchsi.com

************************************************** **************************
    The Birthright Homepage: http://www.birthright.net
    To unsubscribe, send email to LISTSERV@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM
    with UNSUB BIRTHRIGHT-L in the body of the message.

Thread Information