Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
    That is exactly why I don't think a first level cleric would be able to cast a cure unit spell.
    I agree however, I don't like the idea that if a regent wants to use a realm spell in battle that it shoots their entire action for the month. The entire issue is one of great difficulty. On one hand battle spells should be usable by preists, but at the same time you have to keep the power gamers in check.
    If you create "battle" spells that are designed for the war sequences in Birthright who is to say they couldn't be used outside of war situations to heal the masses or restore an entire party of adventurers. A cleric doesn't even get a single Cure Serious Wounds until 5th level which heals only a single person, but then suddenly in a "battle" they can cast a Cure Unit spell and miraculously heal entire units. Its a bit shady to say the least... Unfortunately, without pooling the resources of several clerics I don't know of another way to keep a healthy balance.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would settle it by not allowing any special battle magic. Only magic that would normally have an effect on a large number of people can be used on the field of battle. If that means that in order to cure a unit, you have to have a unit of clerics, so be it!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
    I would settle it by not allowing any special battle magic. Only magic that would normally have an effect on a large number of people can be used on the field of battle. If that means that in order to cure a unit, you have to have a unit of clerics, so be it!
    I second that notion.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That makes alot of sense, because it is logical and eliminates the cleric number advantage, but what are the war card stats for a cleric unit. Do they vary with the religon?
    "I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a serving man untill the lightning falls!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Surely the problem of 20 1st level clerics casting 60 Battle Magic spells can be avoided if they are subject to the same rules a Mages - i.e. only those who are blooded can cast battle magic (like realm magic). Given being blooded is relatively rare, perhaps only 1 of those 20 clerics could cast battle magic.

However, I also tend to agree that it is odd that a first level cleric who can only heal one person 1d8 hp can suddenly cure 300 odd people just because there's a battle in progress.
    Power is not forcing someone to do your bidding.
    It is making them do so believing it is their own desire...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would go with Green Knight's suggestion on only Blooded Priests can cast BM and only those spells which would normally affect a large group of people can be used as BM.As fas as healing an entire unit goes,I beleive Circle of Healing is what a 6th level spell for Clerics??Which means a 13th level Cleric??Not too many of those.

As to the Spell Geas/Quest.In 3rd Ed.,it is a 6 level Wiz/Sor spell,as well as Cleric and Bards.What I cannot understand is why it is not a Druid spell.I mean Geas is a Celtic word and idea,and so are druids,why the hell wouldn't druids have access to that spell???Especially since Bards get it!!!
    "Victory has a thousand fathers,defeat is an orphan."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Aleric

Surely the problem of 20 1st level clerics casting 60 Battle Magic spells can be avoided if they are subject to the same rules a Mages - i.e. only those who are blooded can cast battle magic (like realm magic). Given being blooded is relatively rare, perhaps only 1 of those 20 clerics could cast battle magic.

However, I also tend to agree that it is odd that a first level cleric who can only heal one person 1d8 hp can suddenly cure 300 odd people just because there's a battle in progress.
    Given that you agree the only way to eliminate the problem is to have no special battle magic. This would allow an unblooded magician to cast battle magic if his spell effects a large number of people and eliminates the problem with clerics because it would take awhile for the cleric to acquire the spell level needed to effect a large group.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Mithrandir

That makes alot of sense, because it is logical and eliminates the cleric number advantage, but what are the war card stats for a cleric unit. Do they vary with the religon?
    They may vary with religion. I would think that they would be similar to the stats of an infantry unit but they have the added ability to cure an adjacent unit so many times.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still don't really see a problem with the way battle magic is now, even if they are special spells.
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shouldn't the Druid unit from Rjurik Highlands have abilities similar to that, then?
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Thread Information