Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi,

I use Battle Magic in my campaigns and it works just fine. Only users of Greater Magic (which are very rare) have the ability to cast BM (users of lesser magic can still use some form of limited ritual magic, but nothing the powre of true BM). Thus - while effective, I find that the below limitations balance things nicely.

I use a system derived from the WW - Scarred Lands setting, where every Battle spell is an unique ritual that must be learned separetely. The ability to cast ritual magic is limited by access to the meta-feat Cast Ritual Spell and a Skill called Ritual Casting. Most battle spells are based on equivalent basic spells, with a corresonding effect on units.

Learning (1+ research actiona) and using rituals are both time-consuming (1+ battle turns each) and difficult (requiring some skill checks against Ritual Casting and/or Concentration). Rituals often requiring the use of multiple apprentices or such to help with the spell, along with expensive components (altough this requirement can be waived if expending RP). Memorizing a ritual spell like this also uses up the spell slot for 1 week (1 war move).

Clerics and wizards benefit the most - Both have access to a large number of powrful spells. Druids and sorcerers are more limited, especially the sorcerers since they must use normal slots to learn battle rituals.

Bjørn
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Green Knight, then you disagree with those who argue that Battlemagic should not be cast by clerics?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. As clerics can cast realm magic, surely they would be able to use battle magic as well.

There is a problem, however, since there are potentially many more clerics than blooded wizards about. So the DM may have to work out some limitations as to exactly how many clerics should be capable of such increadible feats.

I personally go with only blooded clerics being able to handle all that divine energy. End of problem.
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the problem is limited by the fact that Wizards battle spells are stronger than Cleric battle spells at least offensively!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is true, but clerical magic is still very useful.

There is however, a problem when even 1st level clerics could cast simple battle spells. Rounding up 20 1st level clerics shouldn't be too hard for a medium size temple. In 3E that could easily be 60 1st level battle spells. Pretty unbalancing.
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Downloads
    Uploads
    It should be a big risk to round up 20 1st level clerics and putting them on the battle field. However, I still don't see the first level spells totally unbalancing a fight. I would send in my knights to kill them.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think the clerics would:

A) Be bunched together
    B) Be that easily identifiable
    C) Be that easily killed

:P
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Downloads
    Uploads
    A) They would be bunched together in order to combine the strength of spells, if that was desired.

B) They are the ones in the clerical garb and the ones casting spells.

C) I don't think 20 1st level clerics would survive that long against a unit of knights.

D) Even if A-C are not true, even 20 1st level clerics wouldn't throw the balance of a battle off!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do not underestimate the power of the <Cure Unit Spell>. Once you start down that path, forever it will dominate your destiny...

Listen to the words of a wise, old halfling :P
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is exactly why I don't think a first level cleric would be able to cast a cure unit spell.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    &quot;May Haelyn bring justice to your realm&quot;

Thread Information