Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I need more free time
    so do I, so do I

great work by the way, it looks a lot like a custom Microsoft Access with powerfull custom GUI.

Question for Excel : have you think of using the format csv (there is a common database that the community is trying to build) in mySQL, but you can export to csv format so no double work there ?

For my part, the tools is made with flash but I use a lot of actionscript classes so any other actionscript scripter (like flex) can see and rework my work (say thta a few times )

I want a really small web tool so you don't need to upload the version but play directly on the web. All data is coming from dynamic php pages (you fill out what you want and the result is transform for you, no pre build SQL data.

map is vectorize, so zoom and position is really easy : you are the regent and you build a bridge, well since i am a lazy GM (in a sense, i like people working for themselves ) you place the bridge in the province that you own yourself (it is only coordinate)
    the build up is also for future consideration (rule changes, new continent etc)

It is a lot of work, first i want it ready for christmas 2010 but wow was I off, now I wich June 2011, but it looks more like fall 2011, we will see.

and last thing i want all none npc domain to be played by PC (if possible), that's a lot of them !

well that it for now

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyark View Post
    great work by the way, it looks a lot like a custom Microsoft Access with powerfull custom GUI.
    Thanks! I agree it's pretty similar to forms over Access

Question for Excel : have you think of using the format csv (there is a common database that the community is trying to build) in mySQL, but you can export to csv format so no double work there ?
    Not sure I understand the question :S I won't export anything as I'm using some data files that aren't mine. I will make a tool capable of importing data from an Excel file (2007 onwards) as there's a driver that allows you to read data from there as if it was a database (so I can use the same code to get data from SQL Server, MySQL or Excel ).

Importing data from CSV shouldn't be hard, it's a pretty simple format to parse

map is vectorize, so zoom and position is really easy : you are the regent and you build a bridge, well since i am a lazy GM (in a sense, i like people working for themselves ) you place the bridge in the province that you own yourself (it is only coordinate)
    I don't think I'll tackle the map problem, I could check Bing Maps API, but I really don't like anything related to web programming :S

It is a lot of work, first i want it ready for christmas 2010 but wow was I off, now I wich June 2011, but it looks more like fall 2011, we will see.
    Agreed, it's a ton of work, I was expecting to finish this in 1 month and well...

and last thing i want all none npc domain to be played by PC (if possible), that's a lot of them !

well that it for now
    Well, the idea is that the GMs setup what is playable and what not, that's up to them. In both PbeM games I'm doing Avanil and Boeruine are playable, but they aren't in RoE, so well

Downloads
    Uploads
    for my part, i have already started the coding, it is advancing well, i am looking for beta testting around march (hopefully )

I did not change my mine on flexibilty, it is really flexible and also i am commenting my codes a lot so somebody who wants to take my work can do it easily (all in actionscript 3 and php)

I am aslo building tools for customs data like (that is a big wish) every regent has to developp their provinces and provide adventure data for somebody other than him !

we will see anyway
    I also realized our databases were extremely inflexible. That's why I brought up the splitting all tables. I think I said by birthright game stats, then a cross connected table for metagame(electronic stats, like location of character etc).

I took that a little farther in past few months. That's how I came to idea of the action system. There's a down side. You need two queries for every query in the old system. One to prep the action & load the variables (table names) to query. Then one to get the action/character specific information to use in the formula. I'll link from here to that post in a few minutes.
    Legacy of Kings: Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    so do I, so do I

For my part, the tools is made with flash but I use a lot of actionscript classes so any other actionscript scripter (like flex) can see and rework my work (say thta a few times )

I want a really small web tool so you don't need to upload the version but play directly on the web. All data is coming from dynamic php pages (you fill out what you want and the result is transform for you, no pre build SQL data.

well that it for now

That kind of sounds like it would work as a front end to the mechanics of what I am doing.

The obvious issue is my database has all campaigns by every dm in the same table for provinces, domains, holdings, structures & Dyark you stated you were creating a table or database for each campaign you wanted to play (which was just to inflexible for me).

The second issue is like Vincente, I have two or three tables for characters, holdings, provinces, domains based on if they are actually information from the book or created to make the electronic version of the game work.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have also gone the route of one DB for each campaign. I don't see why that's inflexible (may be something I don't know of MySQL), but in SQL Server I can have 324234 databases if I want, and I don't have to mix things together and fill all the tables with CampaignId fields :S.

For example, if you have all campaigns in the same tables, and you have a guy who is GM in one and player in another, enforcing permissions at DB level is impossible (at least in SQLS). If you have each campaign in one DB, then you can give the GMs DB admin rights for that DB and they won't be able to see anything else.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirviriam View Post
    I also realized our databases were extremely inflexible. That's why I brought up the splitting all tables. I think I said by birthright game stats, then a cross connected table for metagame(electronic stats, like location of character etc).

I took that a little farther in past few months. That's how I came to idea of the action system. There's a down side. You need two queries for every query in the old system. One to prep the action & load the variables (table names) to query. Then one to get the action/character specific information to use in the formula. I'll link from here to that post in a few minutes.
    I just read the other post and thinking about this. Loading table is really small (i just made a big query crossing 9 tables and loading a lot of data, it is only 82k so even if i load data to use in the actions, is is really small.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That kind of sounds like it would work as a front end to the mechanics of what I am doing.
    Exactly, I want it to be very flexible (used by the community), so I would have my campaign, but somebody else could create is own campaign easily with the same tool.

The obvious issue is my database has all campaigns by every dm in the same table for provinces, domains, holdings, structures & Dyark you stated you were creating a table or database for each campaign you wanted to play (which was just to inflexible for me).
    What I meant is a datatable that handle all the change in the other tables (I am not sure it would be easy, it is something a friend build for a different game)

The second issue is like Vincente, I have two or three tables for characters, holdings, provinces, domains based on if they are actually information from the book or created to make the electronic version of the game work.
    What do you mean on this :confused:

Downloads
    Uploads
    We are building a game system on top of the rules laid out in the 2nd or 3rd Edition Birthright book right?

Well, assuming you answer yes:

There are several types of data.

The base of all the data is anything we copy out of the 2nd Edition or 3rd Edition handbook. I personally have this information in it's own table. IE: Character table has fields id, name, age, gender, race, strength ... total levels. Then there's a crosslink table for classes since that's the easiest way to allow multiple classes & levels.

Where I think we differ is that when I want to record information the Handbook's do not have listed (like location of regent etc), I create a table with the same name & put a "M_" infront of the name. IE: character table has a second table named M_character which holds x & y coordinates, if the character has trained this turn (since birthright forbids training 3 rounds in a row, this is important), etc.

It's an information handling thing. Look up metadata on the web for a better explanation. The idea is that, it's data which acts on other data.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, assuming you answer yes:
    assuming great

I create a table with the same name & put a "M_" infront of the name. IE: character table has a second table named M_character which holds x & y coordinates, if the character has trained this turn (since birthright forbids training 3 rounds in a row, this is important), etc.
    just wandering why you use x and y when you can determine them buy le width and height of the province object ?

It's an information handling thing. Look up metadata on the web for a better explanation. The idea is that, it's data which acts on other data.
    For me training goes in round_actions_all table which gives me the Turn, Round, Action number, Regent, Showdetails (what the regent wants to appear in the history book), special request (message to the GM), GM approve.
    So the SQL request tells me if the PC trained in the past round and reject the action automaticaly, when the regent submit it.

QUESTION : all the classes and level of the 3e edition, do you have data on this ?? I just don't want to write them all by hand (or keyboard )

Downloads
    Uploads
    The other thing to recall is with view's all your concerns or needs to use one database per campaign go away.

Also, don't forget the hidden costs of database to database projects, there's metadata table on the server & communication costs too.

Thread Information