Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Multi Campaign DB

I'm trying to figure out if we should create a cross-link table for campaign_ID & the:

people_campaign_ID
    domain_campaign_ID
    province_campaign_ID
    holding_campaign_ID
    alliance_campaign_ID

Maybe some others. Otherwise we have to embed the campaign_ID in every table.
    Legacy of Kings: Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    what is campaign id ??

Downloads
    Uploads
    We could call it whatever we wanted. The purpose is to separate different games of birthright being played. With it we can have several games going on with various amounts of players & DM's ...

My DB envisions having a person sign up on the web page, then choose "Create New Game". He then sets which continent & domains are available for players, designates NPC domains & domains/realms(countries) which will not be allowed in the game. After that the new DM will choose if he wants open sign up (publicly available, handled automatically) or if the DM needs to send invitations for players to claim a realm/domain.

I will eventually like to add DM preferences like, how long out of game players have to do their turns (1 month always bored me), variant rules off wiki & in BCRS, an army fighting script etc.

To do that we need an ID that flags the data in certain tables as part of one particular game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Certain ideas were taking, like a RP buffer to counter action, war is either script driven of manually or both.

Turn are per initiative in which if you don't take your action by X number of days, it means you don't do anything (of course major campaign with 50 and over player needs other kind of rules to fix that)

For me adventure will pass by other tools that I use.

I am building a multi use database for different campaign ( the basic database never change only new table are created for new campaign )

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never thought of using a separate table for each campaign. I suppose we'll never see the number of users that would make the table's over head catch up to sql seek time? Is that why you're doing it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    just wandering why you seek the number of user

What i mean is each new style of campaign is separate, on a single campaign, you can have many dm (1 table)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyark View Post
    I am building a multi use database for different campaign ( the basic database never change only new table are created for new campaign )
    euh... don't create new table for each campaign (never). If you want multi-campaign use, create a link in the appropiate table (in high header of it for better package) or alternate solution, create a new databse with a connect to the "root" database" (but never create table on the fly, when a database is created, it will can change its structure only for exceptionnel thing like a new feature. a new campaign is not a new feature.)

but it's my opinion (of database manager)

Downloads
    Uploads
    just wandering why you seek the number of user

What i mean is each new style of campaign is separate, on a single campaign, you can have many dm (1 table)
    Not sure what you mean here?

On the data base side, I will have all campaigns in single set of tables. Then use cross/pivot tables to insert new variant rules etc. My database structure already allow's multiple DM's, domain rulers, players per regent, etc.

The only real exclusions I have are:

holding can't belong to more than one province
    province can't belong to more than one domain
    province can't belong to more than one region (birMail doesn't use regions, but does have continents ... there will be regions in my DB as there are in the books)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirviriam View Post
    province can't belong to more than one domain
    What about multi regent (different domain) for one province like in Kinasi/Vosgaard ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    What about multi regent (different domain) for one province like in Kinasi/Vosgaard ?

well there are also cases that domains have more then one ruler, 3 bros mages, college of sorcery, sword mage (rumor)
    i.e. rule by council

i would not worry too much about the situation we talked about earlier in vosgaard.. just simple split them into two domains in the domain table..
    even though the provinces "belong" to one realm.. the provinces are in fact split between two domains. (but still linking to the realm id)

the realm table is nothing more then a name of a country reference

and also try to put your thoughts into the player.. what would he do? i assume you give the player the ability of renaming their domains/provinces/realms
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Thread Information