Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Craft:Saddle making

Discussion thread for Craft:Saddle making. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Typically a single person does not make the entire saddle. It may involve several guilds, but usually more than one.

1. Fuster or Tree maker
    2. Lorimer/Loriner: maker of bits, stirrups, and other metal objects that are used in the final product
    3. Saddler, the person that puts it all together
    4. Girth/belt maker

In game dynamics, this would be potentially a good reaction for "Trade Matter". There are historical documents that talk about one trade: Saddlers, trying to gain more power of a secondary guild, the fusters and that there were actually violent interactions with the guilds on the streets of London.

There are guild regulations for the mystery of saddle making that include prices, not working at night or on holidays unless approved, and the price for shoddy workmanship: fines and having your work publicly burned.

Question: What is the source for the directions on making of the saddle tree?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got the instructions from a book of crafts published by the UK National Trust twenty years or so ago. It has a series of short descriptions on various crafts which I'm slowly posting on the wiki, they don;t have the level of detail required for someone to actually do the job, but give a flavour of the complexity of the tasks described.

Errors are probably mine - I summarised and interpreted throughout and have no knowledge of most of the crafts myself.

If you have any suggestions for improvement please add them - and add any other crafts you know about that may interest anyone.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not a problem, I was curious (it's been a major area of study for me for the last few years). Might be able to post some game tips, such as guild wars with historic examples. ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds good, any additions welcome.

Thread Information