Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Creating a birthright web play

I am creating a birthright web play (using php and mysql) but it would be better if i use flash xml (i don't know that language, anybody wants to help ??

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I'm game... but same as you: I'm more familiar with php/mysql.
    I had done something basic with flash but it ended up being a huge slow file. I'm sure it's possible, but it's not something I've been exposed to enough.

Instead I went the Ajax/javascript way.
    There are some javascript libraries that can help simulate "flash-like" actions.
    - jquery
    - Yahoo's YUI

This can help with things like moving pieces on a jpg map, and using events to start actions.

The down side is that it's doesn't always react in exactly the same way with every browser. My first task on www.rjurikwinds.com was to create a movable map, and that "kinda" works but on the web if things aren't perfect they are bound to be left by the way-side...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up my map

This is what my map looks like right now, it is not dynamic yet, i am trying to find and easy way to filled the map with dynamic data with xml (create the xml file with php and mysql) The feel i am looking for is about the same as gorgon alliance map and object.

So if you know somebody or you know some website with good tutorial, that would be easy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    i actually made a map a-la gorgons alliance in the latest flash version, which also has the z axis to make maps etc look 3d...
    everything is working fine, but the difficult part i dont get right are the coordinates.. somehow flash adjusts certain coordinates (inner vs outer etc etc dont ask me exactly)
    so my objects didnt hold position when zooming in or moving the map.

i dont know if i posted the flashfile a while ago, but ill be home in 1 month again.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Does anybody know how some of the RL maps are done? The level of detail grows as you zoom in, and the quality of the map doesn't fade.

Example, for Dyark's map: When you are zoomed out, you can see names of the regions, if you zoom in on a region, you can see domains (they are not there already, they appear on a certain zoom level), etc.. where on the maximum zoom level you can see whatever there is to see. When you move along the map, it draws the details not in the current frame instead of just having been zoomed in on the whole continent.
    Yes, like google maps.

It seems to me that some of those maps actually zoom in on .png or .jpg files, on certain levels. Let's say 8 pics for first level of detail or continent view, another 8 for region view, another 8 for subregion view, another 8 for domain view. So, yes, that would be a lot of images.
    And when you are on the same level, you move along the map between images on the same level.
    LOL, I sound like a total newb.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    i already have those GD calculations for the birmail maps, made years ago..
    ill see if i can find them with ftp, they should be somewhere on the BRnet
    server
    if not you have to wait 3 weeks

arjan
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 04-10-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Quote excised.

Downloads
    Uploads

Webplay

I had a series of objects setup in PHP files to handle what basically handled inputting new provinces, domains, holdings. I was going to release it, but I lost heart when the server I was on rolled back after 3 days of typing the damned things from my hardcopy plans.

If you wanted to throw a web version of birMail together, I have been planning one together a year or two back & would be willing to work on something. I don't do any graphics myself. There's nothing to say that the php/sql can't play nice with almost any other technology out there...
    Legacy of Kings: Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    So another library I have been playing with in order to show a "game map" is called "OpenLayers" -- it's javascript based and it allows you zoom in/out "à la google maps" -- you can then code additional "Layers" that go on top so that you could for example show troops, holdings, borders etc...

Here is an example that I worked with to just have the map working:
    http://rjurikwinds.com/bw_map.php

My thought on this one was to show "tokens" to represent holding levels and use that as the overall map -- the idea there would be to give the players "some" idea of holding levels but not reveal too much -- trying to simulate what "normal people" would know (an not necessarily if the holding level is a 3 or 4!

On the back end OpenLayers allows you to show the information on the map based on an xml or straight vector-like information...
    This means that PHP on the back end can show different information for every logged-in user; and my next step then is to figure out what to show to whom...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirviriam View Post
    If you wanted to throw a web version of birMail together, I have been planning one together a year or two back & would be willing to work on something. I don't do any graphics myself. There's nothing to say that the php/sql can't play nice with almost any other technology out there...
    So Arjan had a similar plan, but as many of us have relatively little time to put a full site together it needs to become a virtual colaboration project: He had tasked me with figuring character creation and I am well a year into it And I am relatively close but it's not complete...
    You can try my Rjurik 2nd Ed by going here (you first need a user)
    http://rjurikwinds.com/register.php?op=validated

once you created a regent you should see your province in the game map
    http://rjurikwinds.com/bw_map.php

Thread Information