Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiergard

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JakobLiar View Post
    Well, that and I'm making my own world for the BR setting and so, doing that, I do come across some evil villains who would use Slavery in their regions as a manner of 'trade goods'.
    Kal Kalathor has slave markets per canon, so does Hjorig - carefully kept secret from the dwarves of Daikhar Zhigun, Kiergaard openly runs on slaves, and they are probably common amongst all goblins, orog, etc realms.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Kal Kalathor has slave markets per canon, so does Hjorig - carefully kept secret from the dwarves of Daikhar Zhigun, Kiergaard openly runs on slaves, and they are probably common amongst all goblins, orog, etc realms.
    With regard to Kiergaard, however, I believe that this is a different thing. This is a realm where the population is enslaved.
    In game terms, I would represent this by severe (or even more extreme) taxation. Unrest and rebellion would be quelled by the province ruler occupying, maybe even pillaging, his own provinces.

This however does not necessarily mean that slaves are a tradeable resource here and regularily sold and exported from the realm.
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 04-03-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: All non-keirgard removed - see 'develop resources' thread for original post
    "The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been."
    - The Three Kingdoms, attributed to Luo Guanzhong, c.1330-c.1400

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Beruin View Post
    With regard to Kiergaard, however, I believe that this is a different thing. This is a realm where the population is enslaved.
    In game terms, I would represent this by severe (or even more extreme) taxation. Unrest and rebellion would be quelled by the province ruler occupying, maybe even pillaging, his own provinces.

This however does not necessarily mean that slaves are a tradeable resource here and regularily sold and exported from the realm.
    P24 notes a guild called the slave drivers that work the fields and fish the coast... I presume that the slaves are either 'criminals' of some stripe, captured by raiders from the Gorgon's Crown, etc or in pirate raids - or sold to them. Field hands survive better than miners but even so harsh treatment will create a continual market for slaves to til the fields in Keirgaard. I presume that the fishers are hands in a larger boat, any slave given a dingy with a hope of making a run for it will probably do so. I'd expect the realm to be an importer - export slaves would be for what? Households and mines? I don't see many fine households in the Gorgon's Crown and that has goblins and dwarves for the mines.
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 04-03-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Post copied from 'develop resources' thread and excess material cut.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kiergard 2

Considering the Gorgon as being the Gorgon, I'd say he has a lot of life in him and he's not so into rounding new slaves each year. It tends to be a bit boring after, I'd say couple of hundred times.

He'll probably want Kiergardians to breed themselves so he can have slaves without catching the new ones. And presumably, if the goblins like the sport, they surely didn't spend their time to catch them elsewhere just to kill them when they want to have fun. All that trouble just to kill them later?

Kiergard can have a vast population but they don't live in settlements, rather a kind of slave camps, since it's pointed out that virtually no settlement exists in Kiergard, they all lay in ruins.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kiergaard must have settlements given its population, Daulbrech even has a capital city, Edlin was reduced to ruins by a raid, but elsewhere I'd expect plenty of settlement, even wealth for the privileged few.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Page 25 of Havens of the Great Bay says Kiergard is a blasted ruin. Since the fall of Esden, Daum is the only city to survive. Even the old Kier, a capital, lays in ruins. Daum is the place from which Onwen, the puppet leader for Gorgon, rules. Kiergard is struck with earthquakes frequently over the past three decades.
    Gorgon has ruled in Kiergard for the past 200 years or so.
    I don't know what kind of settlements exist there, but they surely are not happy. OK, except those held by Brand Mournsinger, the leader of the opposition, who claims to be the rightful heir. He may have some provinces under him, hosting the rebel army. After all, he blasted Esden to ashes, and Esden is on the other side of Kiergard from his alleged HQ.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm thinking that the peasantry are very unhappy, the slaves are crushed, but given that level of oppression someone somewhere has to be raking it in...

Given the comments probably lots of villages (they need somewhere to live) but very few significant towns and cities - probably a deliberate crushing, small groups are easier to keep under control...

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, concentration camps come to mind.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    Well, concentration camps come to mind.
    Lousy for breeding purposes, and its easier to run them free range than try to organise good sanitation and breeding...

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps villages with guard towers? And if someone tries to escape, a small hunting party for sport? Like they actually encourage them to try to escape.

Thread Information