Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingmaker AP

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kingmaker AP

I think some people here like a lot Paizo work, well, they are going to release a new AP that seems a mix between "Birthright" and a sandbox campaign (The West Marches): Kingmaker (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/v5748btpy8dhc).

The first adventure seems to be about exploring, while the second one will come with rules for ruling nations

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And Player's Guide for free?

EDIT: Hm, nice, PG has "icons" for buildings in cities. Could come in handy.
    Last edited by Rey; 03-15-2010 at 09:25 AM.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    A pal of mine just told me he's buying me the first installment for my birthday next week. I am already wondering about converting it to Cerilia. I've run in the Giantdowns before, that seems to match the concept of "unclaimed, bandit-infested land."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've gotten the first two books of the Kingmaker AP now, and read them once through. I've also skimmed some of Paizo's message boards on this. One thread there stuck in my head; the Paizo team felt the AP felt to them like George RR Martin's Westeros, set in Eastern Europe. Many of the NPC and names had that Slavic sound to them, as a result.

The core of the AP is that the PCs are adventurers under charter to a kingdom, charged with clearing and colonizing some monster-infested territory on its border.

As a result, I am thinking of placing it in a Vos land. Kozlovnyy seemed like a good match: there are three 0- or 1-level provinces in its northeast, and it abuts awnshegh and sidhe lands (partial spoiler: This could be important later on). There is also ethnic tension between the Khinasi and Vos populations, which parallels the background of the as-written mother country.
    Kozlovnyy might be too far south, and thus too warm, so I am also thinking of Yeninskiy-- it still has the Khinasi-Vos tension. Or Rzhev, since the "swordlords of Restov" seemed to feel more like Brecht, from the little I could glean from the modules.

Anyway, I still have to feel out my players, what rules and setting they would like. I've made my vote clear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've now gotten the third installment of this Adventure Path. #2 had the kingdom-running rules, which are not much like Birthright.

They are focused much more on building and operating a realm, with little mechanics for interaction with other realms. There is no real mechanism for running a guild or temple domain, or for regent-level wizardry. I'm not saying this is a negative, it is to establish that Kingmaker is seeking to do something different from Birthright.

The general theme is to build up cities and hexes, much like many computer strategy games, such as Pharoah/Caesar or Civilization. Having certain buildings or developments allows others, or bonuses for actions, and so on. A realm has statistics for stability and the like, which are affected by its makeup and by outside events.

In short, it's a different world and a different system, which seeks to do different things. It looks like it should do great for the group that wants to carve a realm out of wilderness, which is handled pretty simply in Birthright's regency system.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed, I have read the first to adventures (I just recently got the third) and I was a little disappointed on how simple the system was, but well, there are some nice ideas here and there to borrow at least

Downloads
    Uploads
    Paizo have had a very warm response to their kingdom rules, with a lot of fan work on expanding and modifying them.

There've been repeated comments about a possible future stand-alone supplement for domain creation and rulership, based on the rules in Kingmaker.

It's not something likely to happen soon, however.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you have any link for that fan work? I would love to see it...

Downloads
    Uploads
    This should take you to the forum for the Adventure Path. I don't personally find them very easy to navigate, but there are all sorts of things there - from new buildings, through alternate economy rules, hiring adventurers to tackle problems for you, and on to half-serious things like using harems in place of co-rulers.

This is an old compilation of some of what had been produced a while back.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks a lot!

Thread Information